Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Columbia Pictures Logo 1924-27

BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look familiar?

The Mint didn't like it so much (because of the striking issues), But Columbia Pictures liked it enough that it was their company logo for 4 years.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was not aware of that.... Thank you for pointing that out....Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the Hays Office would have thought?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's interesting, I wonder what the history of it is. "Liberty" as a motif goes back to Roman times. But that representation is virtually the same as the SLQ. Same artist?

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

Maybe that's why it was only their logo for 4 years.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@BillJones said:

Maybe that's why it was only their logo for 4 years.

I think that the Hays office got started in the early 1930s. There was a set of "pre code" DVDs that were marketed some years ago, and they were all talking pictures. Only one of the set that I bought was kind of racey.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

She appears to be wearing a vest or straps to her gown -- or maybe she dislocated her shoulder reaching for the olive branch....?

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    She appears to be wearing a vest or straps to her gown -- or maybe she dislocated her shoulder reaching for the olive branch....?

Looks like a vest of some kind......and She did let her hair down since 1916.

Pete

• goldengolden Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not know that. Cool!

• RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rare Type-2 Columbia Pictures logo...

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how many motion pictures that used that image still exist today. It probably isn't many.

All glory is fleeting.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first wife and I lived in Blue Island, IL, just south of Chicago. Local legend had it that the model for one of the early Columbia Pictures logos came from Blue Island. I did find a website that said that the Chicago Sun-Times did state that the lady in the logo was from Chicago, which may have meant Chicagoland. Have never been able to pin down the model's name or the version she allegedly posed for.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭

Never knew that, thanks for the factoid!

CCAC Representative of the General Public
    Columnist for The Numismatist
    2021 Young Numismatist of the Year

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Full Head!

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post, Pete! I didn't know about that.

edited January 25, 2018 3:26PM

@CaptHenway said:
    My first wife and I lived in Blue Island, IL, just south of Chicago. Local legend had it that the model for one of the early Columbia Pictures logos came from Blue Island. I did find a website that said that the Chicago Sun-Times did state that the lady in the logo was from Chicago, which may have meant Chicagoland. Have never been able to pin down the model's name or the version she allegedly posed for.

Jenny Joseph, the Torch Lady....? See: http://www.myfilmviews.com/2012/01/19/the-story-behind-the-columbia-pictures-logo/

"In 1992, Jenny Joseph posed for Michael J. Deas, and her oil-painted image was introduced in the new Columbia Pictures logo. The new logo featuring jenny was introduced in 1993. It has retained much of its look except some minor modifications in 2006 and 2014."

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

FWIW, I am pretty certain that QDB stated that Virgil Brand was born in Blue Island, Illinois in 1860 or 1862. My copy of the Brand book is deeply buried, but I believe it was Blue Island.

I have also seen QDB state in print that it was 'Blue Grove' or some such place,but I think that was a brain fart.

Ahhhh...So the model was really Virgil Brand? Interesting. Wonder if that shield was his?

edited January 25, 2018 4:30PM

@RogerB said:
    Ahhhh...So the model was really Virgil Brand? Interesting. Wonder if that shield was his?

Yes, and they changed their logo because he died.

Horace kept the shield and Mrs. Norweb nipped it from him when he wasn't paying attention.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2018 6:42PM

Apparently Evelyn Venable was the model for the 1936 version of the Columbia logo.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Venable
    She was from Cincinnati, though.
    And here's a woman (who lived in Illinois later) who said the 1936 version was her:
    people.com/archive/oh-columbias-gem-of-the-openings-was-jane-chester-vol-5-no-11/

• FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

A lot more exciting over at MGM

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2018 2:00AM

About 25 years ago I was invited to a coin dealers Halloween party and my girlfriend at the time went dressed as Standing Liberty.

Wish I had photos, especially of later that night when she went from Type Two to Type One ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Virgil Brand's Resting Place:

Pete

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

way cool

• drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

The original design of the coin...

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    Virgil Brand's Resting Place:

Pete

I like this photo and life synopsis a lot and thank you for posting it.

Virgil Brand made serious money in speculating in building tracts/lots in Chicago. In those days, you could buy land that lie in the direction that the City was obviously headed, hold it for three to five years, and then sell it at a nice profit on an easy, passive investment. At one time, I had a couple of newspaper references located that involved V. Brand doing just this. V. Brand died during the middle of the Prohibition Era, and his brewery was mostly dormant the last seven or eight years of his life.

Graceland Cemetery is reportedly quite a large place, with many early Illinois' luminaries resting there. Virgil Brand's father was very successful too, and Virgil Brand and his parents are all in that mausoleum.

The quarter design show above was the replacement approved in late August 1916. For reasons unknown, it was not used.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file