Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Uncertified $10 Indian 08-s goes high

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 22, 2018 7:33PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not know if there may have been something special with that coin... not familiar with the series... But it went for around 58 money.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

More like Unc. money; that is a hell of a lot of speculation for a raw coin.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    ... It looks like this seller likes to list Morgan rolls with 1879 Phillies on one end and a cc Morgan on the other.

Pretty big red flag not to trust that seller.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is AU53 and maybe AU55 at best if original which im doubting. No chance this coin is au58

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always wonder where these types of bidders are hiding when I sell on eBay? :'(

Looks like a dealer might have won it but paying higher then AU58 certified monies for that is a head scratched :o

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

High gold prices discourage new collectors of these coins. Further, absence of detailed variety guides mean that information is not available as it is for minor and silver series.

• Options

How does the 15% restocking fee thingy the seller has stated still work on eBay?

• Options

I put in a snipe bid of around $1100, I saw it jump up over my underbid in the last second then when I clicked on the final result it was over twice that. Fishy.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller has graded coins but a rare date is not graded? Always a warning sign that so many never heed.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

not many coin buyer/sellers with that many feedback

it was bought by 'centsles'

• Options

@davewesen said:

I don't know why he would be buying unless it was for his "personal collection", lol.

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

Bought?

Sarcasm flag on.

• Options

@logger7 said:

@davewesen said:

I don't know why he would be buying unless it was for his "personal collection", lol.

Because once it arrives it's bound for one of his self-slabbed Mint State holders burying the next buyer even deeper.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

Where it is now listed as "Gem BU'

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

To much money for that coin raw. IMO it looks 53, maybe less because of that hit on the reverse rim

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The following draft excerpts from my book on Saint-Gaudens Eagles might be helpful to members.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would not surprise me to see it in an ICG MS62 slab in a few weeks.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting, thanks @RogerB

• Options

I looked on Coinfacts, albeit a partial sampling of auction results and images, but generally good enough to approximate grade and value. I figured it was a strong AU55 or so, strike and luster carry it. I would be surprised if ICG considered it new, Unc., etc. considering signs of friction/circulation. The fact that two sharks were valuing it at $2500 is interesting.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin looks like an AU-55 on the obverse and AU-53 or even 50 on the reverse given the weakness in the details in the middle of the eagle's body. Strike might have something to do with that, but the surfaces are definitely rubbed which makes it hard to see where the strike issue ends and the wear begins.

If there was a buyer, he or she paid a strong price for a raw coin.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

Not to mention in the description it may be a cleaned coin.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

@davewesen said:

collusion for profit?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least with the 1878-CC $10 gold, the Gray Sheet bid is $13,500 for an EF, which what I'm sure the buyer thinkis or hopes it is. The coin looks like a VF-30 to me with a strong possibility that it's been cleaned. The VF Gray Sheet bid is $6,000.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file