Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How Would This 43 Cent Have Been Made?

1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boredom

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die cut with a Whitney punch. Punch out the steel, punch out the copper hammer the copper cut out back in the steel. Would take less than five minutes.

Martin

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

To clarify, cut identical-size pieces out of two different coins and then put the pieces back in the other coin.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW..........too much free time.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

The answeres above make sense. I thought maybe someone at the mint was getting creative that day. :)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... this is a home project... no way it was done at the mint....someone with too little coin knowledge and way too much free time...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Entertainment.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2018 7:49AM

@1Mike1 said:
    The answeres above make sense. I thought maybe someone at the mint was getting creative that day. :)

Perhaps that was what the creator of this mutilation was hoping you would think so that you would pay him a good price for it. Maybe next time he’ll get it right on the first try and not have two miscues before he succeeds in bonding the coin pieces.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file