Home U.S. Coin Forum

This is the Kind of Stuff that REALLY hurts the Hobby

BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was recently on E-Bay

Counterfeit Gold Buffalo (Had to re-post this picture)

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Comments

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

crap!

Yes, that is what it is.

Frank

BHNC #203

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

look at his face, looks like a cartoon figure.

Frank

BHNC #203

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the one on the ngc site https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2577873-026/70/

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's just the photography in my opinion. I think it's the real deal.

bob

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

ewwww, :(

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking also it is weird non flattering photography

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh. Looks ridiculous at first glance........ I thought it to be a poor fake. Then, possibly a real coin with goofy photography.

Either way I don’t understand the appeal of collectible bullion.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

That's just the photography in my opinion. I think it's the real deal.

bob

I don't think so. Spaghetti hair, anyone? It even looks worse than an authentic 2001 buffalo nickel silver dollar. The slab label is also off if you compare against the real one.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold plated.
    The hair details and facial details are off.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

An obvious fake-just about everything is wrong with that one. Thanks for posting, Pete.

Okay, you convinced me.

bob :O

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact that it fooled anyone here is a little scary. Note that the fields seem smooth in this fake, and the real ones are textured. Terrible fake.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 2:23PM

Very informative video on this coin.................fake NGC holder and 11 grams light for starters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0oO2CSSQv8
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 2:18PM

Even I could tell it was a fake, so that's pretty bad. (The coin, that is, the slab might have fooled me as I have so little experience with them).

• NPD1078NPD1078 Posts: 110 ✭✭

Thanks for posting the video!

NPD1078

I have completed positive sales and purchses from the following members:
    jclovescoins, dpoole, dmarks, guysmiling, Ducky1100 , piecesofme, ericj96 ,Classof67, ModernCoin, MrOrganic, 53BKid, nychad10, GUINZO1975, derryb (3 times), PinkFloyd
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 2:29PM

@Goldbully said:
    Very informative video on this coin.................fake NGC holder and 11 grams light for starters.

I was hoping the video would end with the slab and coin being impaled on the business end of a drill press.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@Goldbully said:

I was hoping the video would end with the slab and coin being impaled on the business end of a drill press.

You should have been a coin film producer.......great idea.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    The fact that it fooled anyone here is a little scary. Note that the fields seem smooth in this fake, and the real ones are textured. Terrible fake.

It's just a poor lighted picture on a computer screen. I don't care how much of an ''expert" someone around here self proclaims themselves to be, you cant authenticate a coin from a digital picture.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@jwitten said:

It's just a poor lighted picture on a computer screen. I don't care how much of an ''expert" someone around here self proclaims themselves to be, you cant authenticate a coin from a digital picture.

As the saying goes "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck"

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, so looking on a computer monitor instead of a teeny smartphone, it's obviously a fake. The real article has sculpted fields - not perfectly smooth flat mirrors as depicted here. The hair detail, eye detail, and overall "look" is off. It is difficult to photograph proof gold..... even on CoinFacts they look very different depending on the lighting technique, but this one just isn't OK. The distance from the hair to the rim is too great. The forehead and cheek profiles are off.......

• dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Buy from reputable sources. Put these crooks out of business... unfortunately not everyone pays attention. I can’t imagine buying fakes... putting them away for years and then discovering down the road you were duped.

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

100% fake. Confirming if a piece is authentic can be tricky using images. But this one absolutely screams counterfeit.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holder is a dead giveaway to me

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@jwitten said:

Seriously? The shape of the face isn't even right, no amount of "poor" light can hide that.
    You may not be able to 100% authenticate a coin by a picture but you can surely tell when one is an obvious counterfeit.
    Also note that the holder prongs are not touching the coin in the same locations as the NGC cert photo, the NGC logo in the official photo is completely covered by the holographic strip where the OP one is about 75%, among other discrepancies. NGC does a great service by photographing every coin in the holder.

Collector, occasional seller

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys are being a bit merciless on @blitzdude. Yes, it screams fake to most of us. Everything from the printing on the slab to the coin itself. But photos can be deceiving IN GENERAL and he may not be that familiar with the original. Geez, show some people some mercy. I'm sure we could fool you with the right coin in the right photo.

• MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

Absolutely true. You cannot absolutely authenticate from photo. You can sometimes, however, absolutely determine it to be a counterfeit from the photo.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    You guys are being a bit merciless on @blitzdude. Yes, it screams fake to most of us. Everything from the printing on the slab to the coin itself. But photos can be deceiving IN GENERAL and he may not be that familiar with the original. Geez, show some people some mercy. I'm sure we could fool you with the right coin in the right photo.

Perhaps so. The way I read his comment it came off as pretty snide, especially after someone posted an educational video concerning another counterfeit of the same coin, in the same certification number group even. No one here was proclaiming to be an expert.
    You could absolutely fool me with a picture of a good counterfeit, I will readily admit that.

Collector, occasional seller

• DoughDeoDoughDeo Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Is the seller account still active?

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2018 5:24AM

@DoughDeo said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Is the seller account still active?

I don't know. The coin I posted was posted here previously a while back. Because of all the "bad coin" threads lately I reposted it.

Seems like it got a better "reception" this time around.

EDITED TO ADD: I looked in my files and found the time stamp on when it was downloaded: April 25, 2017

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is a blatant fake and the picture makes it clear to anyone with a modicum of experience. Now, authenticating from a picture can be very tricky with many counterfeits, such as gold Indian 2 1/2 and 5 dollar coins - and in most cases should not be relied on. However, when you get what clearly is a caricature of the original, then it is easy to call it from a picture, three feet away. Cheers, RickO

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if it hurts the hobby, but this type of ______ sure permeates it.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

why doesn't someone just post a picture of a genuine NGC holdered coin side-by-side with the OP coin? that should settle things, right??

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file