Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What if short term wonders were inducted into the HOF?

https://mlb.com/news/baseball-hall-of-fame-compared-to-rock-hall/c-265089914

I found this article interesting. So....what if short term wonders were inducted into the baseball HOF? Who would you put in?

I don't think this guy was mentioned in the article......so I will start with Fernando Tatis.

My wife and I were watching a Cardinals baseball game back in 1999 when Fernando Tatis comes up with the bases loaded and crushes a grand slam. a few minutes later, he comes up again in the same inning with the bases loaded and crushes ANOTHER grand slam......2 grand slams in the same inning....8 RBI's in one inning! Wasn't done before....and I doubt it will ever be done again.

So....who would you put in?

Shane

Comments

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, I agree with the Tatis feat. It's one of the least recognized accomplishments in sports. I was watching Sportscenter that night and couldn't believe the insignificance the announcers placed on his feat. Like it was no big deal.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

Bo Jackson

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

@72skywalker said:
    Bo Jackson

Oh.......absolutely!

Shane

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Albert Belle's six or seven year tear, if he wasn't crazy.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:
    https://mlb.com/news/baseball-hall-of-fame-compared-to-rock-hall/c-265089914

I found this article interesting. So....what if short term wonders were inducted into the baseball HOF? Who would you put in?

I don't think this guy was mentioned in the article......so I will start with Fernando Tatis.

My wife and I were watching a Cardinals baseball game back in 1999 when Fernando Tatis comes up with the bases loaded and crushes a grand slam. a few minutes later, he comes up again in the same inning with the bases loaded and crushes ANOTHER grand slam......2 grand slams in the same inning....8 RBI's in one inning! Wasn't done before....and I doubt it will ever be done again.

So....who would you put in?

What I find amazing is that both were hit against the same pitcher, Chan Ho Park. It's hard to imagine the same pitcher still in the game after the order bats around AFTER giving up a grand slam in that inning.

"You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Top-2:

R.L. Carruthers
    Bo Jackson

It should also increase the liklihood of Roger Maris, Dale Murphy, Don Mattingly and Thurman Munson being inducted.

Steve

• tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Doc Gooden. remember how quickly he got his wins, would have been a sure HOF if not for some nose candy :)
    Bo Jackson, just his name says enough
    Thurman Munson, the list goes on...In football, a player with a few years gets in, think Gale Sayers (who was a great runner), but a short career, same thing for the guy in Denver, Terrell Davis, a beast, but only what 3 or 4 good years and he gets in the HOF?

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
    edited January 22, 2018 2:29PM

@tbonewilly said:
    ...In football, a player with a few years gets in, think Gale Sayers (who was a great runner), but a short career, same thing for the guy in Denver, Terrell Davis, a beast, but only what 3 or 4 good years and he gets in the HOF?

If I remember correctly, the Pro Football Hall of Fame does not have a minimum career length standard for eligibility, whereas, the National Baseball Hall of Fame has a 10 year minimum career length standard.

The voters have seemingly expanded that 10 year minimum career to mean the player must have had at least 10 hall of fame caliber years.

Also, since the average career length in the NFL is so short, the voters are much more forgiving of a player who played only a short time, like Gale Sayers, Terrell Davis, and Earl Campbell.

Heck, if the Football HOF had the same 10 year career length standard as the Baseball HOF, Jim Brown would NOT even be eligible for the HOF, as he played only nine years.

Steve

• CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭

Tim Lincecum
    3 cy youngs?

All good ones.

Dale Murphy and Don Mattingly were locks in the mid to late 1980s.

Shane

What about Bill Madlock?

He won four NL batting titles (1975, 1976, 1981 & 1983), and had a .305 career batting average.

Then, there's Ron Guidry..........

Steve

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike Friggin Scott. Unhittable In 86 to a man the Mets wanted nothing to do with him if they were forced to a game 7 against Houston

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

Lots of good ones listed....I will add to the old timer list (not Carruthers old) and nominate Lefty O'Doul and his career .349 BA.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

<----------

• OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 6:57PM

I would side with George "Taco" Bell of the 80's Blue Jays.... He was a relatively short term burst of energy.... Some great years.

edited January 22, 2018 7:04PM

U could also go with a John Tudor from the Cards pitching staff..in '85 he went 21-8 with a 1.93 ERA..and maybe Juaquin "the dog" Andujar as well ~he won 20 in '84 and then 21 wins in '85.

edited January 22, 2018 8:41PM

@galaxy27 said:
    <----------

I still get angry when I think of what the Astros did to J.R. Richard.

If he had still been able to pitch in the 1980s, with Nolan Ryan, Mike Scott, Joe Niekro and Don Sutton also there.........................

Steve

• rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Joe Mauer

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies

Jose Canseco 1986-1989, but we know he was a little juicey!

Shane

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bosox1976 said:

Belle had 10 straight outstanding seasons. From 1991-2000: 10 straight 100+ RBI seasons, averaged 37 homers a year, had 3 years of 48+ and OPS+ somewhere north of 144.

Belle wasn't a short-time wonder, he was an all-time great slugger who should have been in the HOF a decade ago.

• jimmygjimmyg Posts: 139 ✭✭

I was at that Tatis game. We went to see McGwire, but left the game big Tatis fans.

• ScottAScottA Posts: 33 ✭✭

Mark Fidrych is the absolute epitome of one-hit wonders in all of baseball history. Attendance would at least double on the days he pitched - both home and on the road. Fans would cheer "We want the Bird!" after the last out until he came out of the clubhouse for a curtain call. Girls treated him like a rock star. His 1977 Topps card was THE key card in that set - and you'd trade anything to get it. He was always friendly to the fans, and you could tell he was truly humbled by all the attention. Fans couldn't get enough. And he was helluva pitcher. 19 and 9 on a crappy team. A 2.34 league-leading ERA.

I would argue that no player, in the entire history of baseball, ever captured fans' attention like he did that one year. Not Mike Trout. Not Mickey Mantle. Not Nolan Ryan. Not even The Babe. There oughta be a place for him in the Hall of Fame, somewhere.

edited January 23, 2018 9:42AM

Roger Maris was a comet..... 61 and basically done.... he had one other 100 RBI season but 24 months and done..... He is not in the HOF but is more famous than 50-60% of HOF'ers.

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Johan Santana

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:
    Johan Santana

+1
    He was the man in the mid-2000s. Triple Crown winner.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 457 ✭✭✭

Belle's teammate Carlos Baerga is worth mentioning too. That guy batted .310-320 for a string of seasons.

Also Dave Steib. I think he had 3-4 no-hitters broken up in the 8th-9th inning in the 80s

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Odessafile said:
    Roger Maris was a comet..... 61 and basically done.... he had one other 100 RBI season but 24 months and done..... He is not in the HOF but is more famous than 50-60% of HOF'ers.

Well, he wasn't quite the 61 in '61 and done. He did win the AL MVP the previous year.

Daniel
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve Busby- first pitcher in history to pitch no hitters in his first two full major league seasons.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vida Blue too.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2018 4:53PM

I'd like to see Roger Maris above all.

Behind him are a bunch of guys who were not really one-hit wonders, but wouldn't be upset if they got in:

Don Mattingly
    Luis Tiante
    Dwight Evans
    Dale Murphy
    Ted Simmons.

@Brian48 ~~ Ted Simmons numbers for a catcher are right there with the very best in the game....its a real injustice that he isnt in the HOF.... and Edgar MArtinez is likely going....crazy IMO

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Utility players get no love.

Pedro Guerrero - Dodgers

Mike
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Lefty O'Doul already got mention, but for a very brief time (3-4 years), he was absolutely amazing. (3) 200 hit seasons, 2 batting crowns! 1 of only 7 players to eclipse 250 hits in a season. He batted .398 with 254 hits and still didn't with the MVP! Probably one of the greatest "2nd best" seasons ever.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

I was thinking more along the lines of Matt Nokes, Kevin Maas or John Wehner.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    [email protected]
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shane Spencer!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Joe Charboneau! Rookie of Year in 1980!...Can't miss! B)

Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball

@tbonewilly said:
    Joe Charboneau! Rookie of Year in 1980!...Can't miss! B)

definitely a "one hit wonder". He even had a song about him!

Adam
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:
    Lefty O'Doul already got mention, but for a very brief time (3-4 years), he was absolutely amazing. (3) 200 hit seasons, 2 batting crowns! 1 of only 7 players to eclipse 250 hits in a season. He batted .398 with 254 hits and still didn't with the MVP! Probably one of the greatest "2nd best" seasons ever.

Lefty O'Doul was also key to spreading baseball worldwide, especially in Japan. Like Joe Torre, he deserves to be in the HOF when you combine his contributions and achievements.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

edited January 24, 2018 12:45PM

A couple guys rocked by injury were likely headed in the HOF general direction ...though certainly no guarantees ...Herb Score had an unrivaled fastball until he got struck in the eye on the mound. His first two seasons '55 and '56 he won ROY (16-10 2.85 era), and in '56 (20-9 2.53 era).....And then Justin Morneau was a heavyweight with the Twinkies until that one nightmare play on second base occurred ... he was never the same.

• Shane Spencer's first September!

• Mickey Lolich based on 1971. 25-14, 308 Ks, 2.92 ERA, and 29 COMPLETE GAMES!! He average 23 CGs over a 5 yr stretch and 312 IP for those 5 years.

Seller ALFLAIR on eBay. for many vintage PSA and raw card sales. PSA Set Registry OldEnglishD with various sets including 71 Fleer Globetrotters, 71 Topps Football, and 64 Topps Standups. Also under FarFars (various sets) on the registry.
  • IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

We can dream all we want, and I am certain you're not seriously thinking in terms of these guys actually being enshrined equally with the likes of Ty, Babe, and Mickey, but I think having a wing devoted to players' special achievements, whether in a game, a season, or a span of a few years like the aforementioned J. R. Richard. I think this would genuinely be well-received by legions of fans. Furthermore, who should decide who would be deserving?

The fans.

The Hall of Fame should simply announce their intention, and invite fans across the world to write or email in their nominations, with a limit of 10. Several poor HOF personnel will have a mountain of responses to process, but I feel it would send a clear message to the Hall that there were others who caused the fans hearts to flutter.

Just my nickel pack's worth. --- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭✭

@Bosox1976 said:

The Dennis Rodman of baseball as I liked to call him back then :)

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

@IndianaJones said:
    We can dream all we want, and I am certain you're not seriously thinking in terms of these guys actually being enshrined equally with the likes of Ty, Babe, and Mickey, but I think having a wing devoted to players' special achievements, whether in a game, a season, or a span of a few years like the aforementioned J. R. Richard. I think this would genuinely be well-received by legions of fans. Furthermore, who should decide who would be deserving?

The fans.

The Hall of Fame should simply announce their intention, and invite fans across the world to write or email in their nominations, with a limit of 10. Several poor HOF personnel will have a mountain of responses to process, but I feel it would send a clear message to the Hall that there were others who caused the fans hearts to flutter.

Just my nickel pack's worth. --- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

By starting this thread, I wasn't saying that these guys should be in the HOF. I was just saying who would get in if the HOF allowed one hit wonders like the article said the Rock N Roll HOF does.

Shane

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Moonlight Graham. Short career but never ever made an error.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

Herb Washington!...He could run!...Hitting, no good, fielding , no good, running, well, better than the other traits! :) And he has a baseball card...I'm surprised we don't have more players like Herb in baseball now...Kind of like the long snapper :D

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

How about Tino Martinez?

• bens4778bens4778 Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

From 1964-1970, few pitchers in the league were better than Sam McDowell.

Led the league in K five times, and led the league in FIP three times.

During the best five years of his career, McDowell’s K/9 was better than Koufax’s K/9 during his best five years.

Denny McLain

Adam