Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What if short term wonders were inducted into the HOF?

2»

Comments

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 3:07AM

Denny McLain and Maris had incomparable back to back seasons then faded away.

Don Newcombe
    Tony Oliva
    Dale Murphey
    Fred Lynn
    Dave Parker

Mattingly & Madlock mentioned above

Ultimately, I think Dick Allen, Dwight Evans, Tommy John, Steve Garvey, and Gil Hodges get into Cooperstown anyway, but any of them could be included on this list.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

Dale Murphy
    Ted Simmons

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Gooden

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure how some of these guys are "short term wonders".

For example:

Bill Madlock won four batting titles over 9 years. He his .313 as a rookie in 1974 and 13 years later had an amazing half-season for Detroit (and a key dirty slide) to help the Tigers win their division. He had way too many good years spread out to be a "short term wonder".

Ditto for Tony Oliva. The guy played 1676 games and was really good for most of them. Hardly a short term wonder.

Ted Simmons hit over .300 and had 77 RBI in his first full season in 1971. TWELVE years later, he was hitting .308 with a career-high 108 RBI. How is that "short term"?

• Options
    BGS_BuyerBGS_Buyer Posts: 206 ✭✭
    edited January 31, 2018 3:54PM

wasn't the original intent of the OP, to keep it to a one game event ?
    rather, not borderline HOF careers ?

I'll go with Dave Bergman (RIP)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn44Rsn9WlY

fouled off a bunch of pitches (9 or 10)
    to eventually hit a full count, 3 run homer
    to tie the game in the bottom of the 9th

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

One games are fine! I mentioned Fernando Tatis.

Shane

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Johnny Vander Meer?

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Bosox1976 said:
    Albert Belle's six or seven year tear, if he wasn't crazy.

Belle had 10 straight outstanding seasons. From 1991-2000: 10 straight 100+ RBI seasons, averaged 37 homers a year, had 3 years of 48+ and OPS+ somewhere north of 144.

Belle wasn't a short-time wonder, he was an all-time great slugger who should have been in the HOF a decade ago.

Well, there is the corked bat incident, which is one of the best stories in the history of baseball!

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options

No kidding. That's a great story.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@Tabe said:

@Bosox1976 said:
    Albert Belle's six or seven year tear, if he wasn't crazy.

Belle had 10 straight outstanding seasons. From 1991-2000: 10 straight 100+ RBI seasons, averaged 37 homers a year, had 3 years of 48+ and OPS+ somewhere north of 144.

Belle wasn't a short-time wonder, he was an all-time great slugger who should have been in the HOF a decade ago.

Well, there is the corked bat incident, which is one of the best stories in the history of baseball!

Could someone fill me in? I must have missed that story.

Shane

• Options

@frankhardy said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

Could someone fill me in? I must have missed that story.

Belle got caught using a corked bat. The umpires confiscated his bat. Jason Grimsley, a pitcher for Cleveland, was ordered by the team to break into the umpires' locker room - going up through the ceiling! - and swap the bat out for another (uncorked) one. Unfortunately, all of Belle's bats were corked, so Grimsley had to use a bat from another player. A custodian went into the dressing room, saw ceiling tile chunks on the floor along with other damage. The switched bat was discovered, there were threats of burglary charges and of getting the FBI involved. Eventually, Cleveland turned over Belle's bat, it was found to be corked, and he got suspended. Grimsley kept his role secret for years.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

Andy Van Slyke!
    He had some great seasons and was a 5 tool player. He got better in hitting in his later years, but unfortunately, could not stay healthy. Its a pity.

Gregg Jefferies
    I really thought he was going to get over 3,000 hits and collect many hitting accolades along the way.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Ron Kittle. 40 HR 326 BA, 50 HR, 345 BA in the minors, and 35 HR as a rookie. Gotta be a lock, right?

Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001