Refs have taken over the game.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 21, 2018 2:27PM in Sports Talk

They know who butter's their toast.

Good time for a nap.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea go ahead and shut it off, it’s just a very close AFC Championship game, no big deal :D

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2018 3:03PM

You mean the two obvious penalties that get flagged 100% of the time with one knocking Gronk out of the game?

Yep, you should tune out if that bothers you. What game doesn't have rules?

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gronk is out with a concussion due to helmet to helmet hit and it's the refs who have taken over the game? Cooks is mugged down the sideline and it's the refs who have taken over the game? LOL.. Why have refs at all?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those were BOTH correct calls.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Those were BOTH correct calls.

If DM and I agree, you know it's correct. LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

It's Brady time!

• Options

He's literally superhuman.

• Options

@grote15 said:
    He's literally superhuman.

Did I call that or what!

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone is already whining about the Refs? LOL

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options
    edited January 21, 2018 6:20PM

@erikthredd said:
    Someone is already whining about the Refs? LOL

Preemptive whining
    :p
    mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    You mean the two obvious penalties that get flagged 100% of the time with one knocking Gronk out of the game?

Yep, you should tune out if that bothers you. What game doesn't have rules?

m

What! Wait a minute here!
    100% of the time? Travis Kelce just got knocked out of a playoff game because
    of helmet to helmet contact. NO FLAG!!!!! Oh yeah, Kelce wasn't wearing in Pats uniform.
    I understand now.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2018 6:58PM

That doesn't make any sense

mark

• Options

I know you didn't see the Chiefs game when Kelce got knocked out
    with a concussion or you wouldn't have posted
    that its called 100% of the time. Because it isn't!

• Options
    edited January 21, 2018 7:08PM

The Kelce hit wasn't as blatant as the Gronk hit, which was up high.

Regardless, NE came from 10 down in 4th quarter without their star TE to win the game. KC choked and spit up an 18-point lead to the Titans to lose their game.

The loss of their star TE is about the only thing the two teams have in common in both situations.

• Options

I take back what I just said in the other thread about you being to smart to explain why no flag
    on the Kelce hit.

You're actually the ref from the Chiefs-Titans game, aren't you? The one who retired after the game
    because he finally realized he was a terrible ref.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2018 7:23PM

@Darin said:
    I take back what I just said in the other thread about you being to smart to explain why no flag
    on the Kelce hit.

You're actually the ref from the Chiefs-Titans game, aren't you? The one who retired after the game
    because he finally realized he was a terrible ref.

LOL, your bitterness is showing again.

The Gronk hit which was up high was more apparent than the Kelce hit. Watch the replays and you will see. Not saying a flag should not have been thrown in the KC game, also. Regardless, none of this has anything to do with why the Pats are going back to the Super Bowl while Reid and KC can't get out of the first round.

• Options

Glad I woke up in time for Eagles win!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that the Patriots won because the Jaguars believed they could hold on and I agree that the penalties being discussed in this thread should have been called --- but --- I also believe they deserve some discussion.

we couldn't get the game at home so we went out to eat and watched. after the interference call I overheard a few others say what I was thinking, "All Brady does is lay the ball up there and hope for the call." maybe, maybe not but I have seen more than a few calls like that, and several years ago it seemed like a tactic used in the end zone when games were close at the end.

it gets back to refs interpretation and the announcers always talk about "letting them play" in big games. so I wonder how the refs decide if it is incidental contact, pass interference or holding. in this case I think the interference was the right call but I don't think the refs should have so much control. in days past that was a no doubter to anyone watching, in today's NFL it is actually up for debate.

the helmet hit on Gronk fits in with the rules but I don't think the defender made an attempt to hit him that way. what I saw was a defender commit and than Gronk react to what he saw. the result was Gronk missing the pass and lowering his body and head a little bit, while the defender had already launched and couldn't do anything about it. what was weird about the whole thing is that it seems improbable for anyone to rough-up that beast!!!

BTW, that was beautiful pass by Brady but nobody mentions that. Gronk catches those in his sleep.

all this makes me wish for the Patriots to play, please-please-please, in a game where is nothing controversial. they are in the midst of run which makes them rival every great franchise before them. if they win against a very, very good Philly Team I hope it is in a statement game and not one marred by plays which divide the opinions of fans watching.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Kelce was a runner when he was hit after completing the catch, no helmet to helmet protection when you are a runner. Gronk was not. Simple as that.

Robb

• Options
    edited January 22, 2018 6:49AM

Ref congratulating Brady. Probably should have been the other way around.

:#

https://youtu.be/NYmxkumPnjk

• Options

keets - that PI was as clear as day. You can't push a receiver out of bounds as he is trying to catch a pass.

And there will never be a big game that the Pat's are in when the "haters" won't start in about any calls on the "other" team.

It just won't happen.

• Options

Billions and billions of dollars on the line and in the face of slumping ratings, the NFL couldn't stomach the thought of a non marquee Super Bowl match up.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone has the right to complain it's the Pats. Put Gronk out of the game, price 15 yards.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Brick
    Got that right. I would trade 15 yards for Gronk any day.

At halftime in a interview the Jags coach said it was the correct and good call.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I think that the Patriots won because the Jaguars believed they could hold on and I agree that the penalties being discussed in this thread should have been called --- but --- I also believe they deserve some discussion.

we couldn't get the game at home so we went out to eat and watched. after the interference call I overheard a few others say what I was thinking, "All Brady does is lay the ball up there and hope for the call." maybe, maybe not but I have seen more than a few calls like that, and several years ago it seemed like a tactic used in the end zone when games were close at the end.

it gets back to refs interpretation and the announcers always talk about "letting them play" in big games. so I wonder how the refs decide if it is incidental contact, pass interference or holding. in this case I think the interference was the right call but I don't think the refs should have so much control. in days past that was a no doubter to anyone watching, in today's NFL it is actually up for debate.

the helmet hit on Gronk fits in with the rules but I don't think the defender made an attempt to hit him that way. what I saw was a defender commit and than Gronk react to what he saw. the result was Gronk missing the pass and lowering his body and head a little bit, while the defender had already launched and couldn't do anything about it. what was weird about the whole thing is that it seems improbable for anyone to rough-up that beast!!!

BTW, that was beautiful pass by Brady but nobody mentions that. Gronk catches those in his sleep.

all this makes me wish for the Patriots to play, please-please-please, in a game where is nothing controversial. they are in the midst of run which makes them rival every great franchise before them. if they win against a very, very good Philly Team I hope it is in a statement game and not one marred by plays which divide the opinions of fans watching.

Full disclosure Pats fan here. I was watching the game with my cousin and when the PI call happened he and I both thought Brady threw that pass hoping for a flag.

I think the problem with PI calls is that they should not be spot fouls. Maybe we need to change it to a first down and 5 or 10 yards but regardless no more 40 or 50 yard chunks on a penalty.

As far as Gronk getting hit in the helmet I always wonder why the guy that makes the hit doesn't get sent to concussion protocol automatically too. 2 heads smack together one has a concussion why doesn't the other? I bet he does a lot of the time and even if he doesn't , being pulled from the game for a quarter or so is another punishment on top of the 15 yards that might change defenders behavior .

• Options

@Brick said:
    If anyone has the right to complain it's the Pats. Put Gronk out of the game, price 15 yards.

Absolutely. I'm not a Pats fan by any means but it's amazing how biased fans are against them.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good point on the concussion protocol. How many times does the defender get set out.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Billions and billions of dollars on the line and in the face of slumping ratings, the NFL couldn't stomach the thought of a non marquee Super Bowl match up.

Go check the ratings for that game yesterday afternoon. It was the highest rated show/event on TV since the previous SB. Your NFL SB conspiracy is 100% full of crap so you can go ahead and take off the tin foil hat now.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@Brick said:

Absolutely. I'm not a Pats fan by any means but it's amazing how biased fans are against them.

I love it when i hear someone complain about "Pats fans." Embrace the hate and give it right back x10. We're no different than any other team's fans its just that the team we root for is always in the spotlight,for good or bad.

• Options

I think people hate the Eagles too so maybe everyone outside of the northeast will watch something else :D

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

there is land beyond the Northeast?

• Options

the bar/restaurant where we watched only had about 15-20 people watching what had to be almost 15 TV's tuned in to the game. during breaks in play we were able to watch some Amateur golf tournament and then the Harlem Globetrotters in Hawaii. the Globetrotters was pretty good, golf not really.

I think Bronco is onto something. if one of two players involved like yesterday goes for the protocol, then maybe both should. also, the NFL might consider stuff like College, ejections for spearing and stuff like that. as I said in the earlier post, I don't think it was intentional with the defender, it's just the way the play developed. had Gronk caught the ball like he always does and absorbed a chest/should hit, the defender may have gotten hurt and we'd be discussing how amazing it is that he held onto the ball.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2018 11:31AM

@erikthredd said:

@Coinstartled said:

Go check the ratings for that game yesterday afternoon. It was the highest rated show/event on TV since the previous SB. Your NFL SB conspiracy is 100% full of crap so you can go ahead and take off the tin foil hat now.

Of course it was the highest rated game because the Pat's were in it. Jags- Eagles SB would have been a bust.

Got to make good to the advertisers somehow.

Go New England!!!

• Options

@Brick said:

Gronk farts and he is injured.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@erikthredd said:

@Coinstartled said:

Of course it was the highest rated game because the Pat's were in it. Jags- Eagles SB would have been a bust.

Got to make good to the advertisers somehow.

Go New England!!!

So you're saying the same NFL that had a two year witch hunt of Tom Brady & the New England Patriots now want the Patriots in the SB?
    When 95% of NFL fans have been saying for years they'd rather see any other two teams not named the New England Patriots playing in the SB?
    You're either actually wearing a real tin foil hat or you have absolutely zero clue about what you're talking about.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@Brick said:

Gronk farts and he is injured.

This is sad but true at times but we've already seen NE win a SB without him not to mention that great 4th quarter comeback last night against the best defense in football. They're a much better team with him but they can certainly still beat you without him.

• Options

Concussions are no laughing matters

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Concussions are no laughing matters

mark

Agreed. But easy to cast judgment from the peanut gallery.

• Options

Taxes go up a tenth of a percent and the politicians are all crooks. All in the NFL are pristine though and above question, even when the ref ends the game congratulating one of the players that he is paid to fairly officiate.

Well what the hell...I used to go to Cobo Arena and cheer on Lord Layton against the Sheik.

Of course I was only 12 at the time...

• Options

You're totally right,i just watched your video and its clear as day Brady slipped the ref some cash. I think E.T just parked his UFO in your driveway and is knocking at your front door,you should go check.

• Options

I was a Pistons fan when living in Detroit. Particularly loved the Bad Boys of the late 80's. Yeah they were A-holes, but Detroit was a tough town and they fit in well.

The more every one hated them...we loved them.

Patriot fans though seem to have particularly thin skin. They are troubled that the sports world does not fawn over their team with the regard and reverence that the Cowboys, 49'rs and Packers have enjoyed.

Don't have a good answer for them.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    I was a Pistons fan when living in Detroit. Particularly loved the Bad Boys of the late 80's. Yeah they were A-holes, but Detroit was a tough town and they fit in well.

The more every one hated them...we loved them.

Patriot fans though seem to have particularly thin skin. They are troubled that the sports world does not fawn over their team with the regard and reverence that the Cowboys, 49'rs and Packers have enjoyed.

Don't have a good answer for them.

No patriot fan asked you for an answer to anything so don't lose any sleep over it. I'm not troubled about any of that nonsense

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 1:14PM

Here's my one and only take on the game. Full disclosure: I don't like the Patriots. More f d: I always call things like I see them, regardless of who I do and don't personally care for.

Brady is always doused with plaudits, and rightfully so. The conversion on 3rd-and-18 (down 10 with ~9 mins remaining) was the play of the game, as far as I'm concerned. That was TB doing what TB regularly does.

But what seems to get lost in all of this is the work of his compatriots (word intended). You know, the guys who put him in an optimal position to work his magic? Why is it that the warriors who keep him vertical only receive a trace of credit by comparison? Whenever I see Brady forced to use his mobility and flee the pocket, the first thing that comes to mind is that it would be a dead heat if he and Jason Witten ever had a foot race. Seriously, the eye test says he should be eating dirt at least 6-7 times per game. But he never does. The Jags were renown for being able to create immense pressure by rushing only 4, allowing them to consistently drop a whopping 7 back into coverage. That's a recipe for an interminable migraine headache for any QB. Yet come 4th quarter time in yesterday's game, Brady was rarely, if ever, under duress. That gave him an opportunity to whip out the knife and carve up the turkey. NE's offensive linemen are highly underrated (imo) and completely badass..........especially when they truly need to be.

And what about the D? If those guys don't clamp down on Jacksonville in the 4th quarter, I'm forced to watch Bortles-Foles in two weeks even if Brady changed his last name to Houdini. Those guys slammed the hell out of the door. The Jags had two first downs in the 4th. Not only does that mean no more points the rest of the game, but it also means minimal time off the clock so Brady has a bountiful supply of seconds to do his thing. Yet when you read what most everyone is talking about today, his cohorts on the other side of the ball are exactly where the o-line is......................buried in the shuffle, relatively speaking.

As for the refs, yeah, a single flag for 10 yards is tough to overlook. But that's a red herring as far as I'm concerned. Jacksonville was making marks on NE's neck while they were on the ground, but they pulled an Atlanta and allowed them to get up. Once that happens, a valuable lesson is going to be learned. At what point is someone from the opposing team going to get pissed off, make a deciding play and put the Patriots out of their misery? Until that happens -- and until the GOAT moves on to bigger and better things -- it's just going to be more of the same.

cheers

• Options
    edited January 22, 2018 1:41PM

No,You know who is more thin skinned than some Pats fans? Guys who repeatedly whine about the Patriots and their fans. Guys who repeatedly think the NFL & all of the refs do everything possible to make sure that New England wins. But these whiners are usually the same people who constantly pat themselves on the back because they "stopped" watching NFL games all because of a two minute silent protest before the game. These people gotta remind everyone of their NFL sacrifice as if anyone else really cares that some random guy here or there stopped watching NFL games because they don't.
    Pats fans are just sports fans like anyone else yet they're always put on the defensive because some schmuck has to label them as some stereotype then make it all about Pats fans rather than the Pats.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2018 1:31PM

@galaxy27 Believe me when i say that no Pats fan ever overlooks Brady's supporting cast during all of these huge moments in big games. That is solely a media driven agenda making it all about Tom Brady and not the guys around him. Most other NFL fans don't watch every minute of every Pats game so they don't see how important some of Brady's teammates are going all the way back to 2001. They watch :30 second highlight clips of the game on sportscenter where its just a Brady fluff piece.

From Gronk to Edelman to Amendola to White to Lewis to Blount to Bennett to Welker to Moss to Faulk to Branch to Givens to Brown to Patten and everyone else in between,that compatriots list is very long and greatly appreciated in the NE region.

• Options

I think the supporting cast he's referring to are the OL and not receivers and running backs.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2018 2:52PM

The same could be said for the OL,Defense & Special Teams. The Pats coaching staff has been coaching up players for years and they had their 3rd string Right Tackle starting yesterday against arguably the best defensive line in football. Choose whatever unit you want and there is a long list of names that played big in key games including yesterday. Pats fans know these players,most of other fans don't.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2018 3:01PM

this wasn't all tom brady . Jacksonville came out hot with a great game plan and then fell apart. It reminded me of watching the Boston Bruins try to hold a 2 goal lead over the Canadians you just know they are going to fall apart. Objectively it shouldn't matter who you are playing if you are up you should put them away

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 3:11PM

I grew up as an Eagles fan and became a Pats fan during the 25 years I lived in the Boston area. I root for both teams so this is going to be an interesting Super Bowl for me.

I suppose I'm more for the Eagles this time because they have not won the pro football championship since 1960 when they beat the Green Bay Packers at Franklin Field in Philadelphia. I could not see the game at the time because it was blacked out for the Philadelphia TV stations. You could not imagine such a blackout today given the advertising revenue that the Super Bowl earns.

The Pats had same very lean years when I followed them in New England. I can remember a 2 and 12 season where they won a game and "lost" the first pick in the draft. Another time they surprised everyone and got into the Super Bowl but had the rug pulled out from under them when one of the Boston sports writers got a scoop that Bill Parcells was leaving as coach regardless what the outcome of the game was. The Boston sportswriters can be brutal. The team came in distracted and got blown out.

Things have not always been this good for Pats fans, and when Belichick retires the team could go back to “the bad old days.” Belichick, not Brady, is the primary reason why the Pats of done so well for so long.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?