Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone recognize this Gasparro design from this plaster?

I know Gasparro was prolific, but I couldn't find this design used anywhere. Anyone recognize it?

Thanks for your help guys!

Comments

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the FG is for Flash Gordon. >:)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2018 11:57PM

It's amazing how many things are almost impossible to find references for.

I've been thinking it would be great to have a catalog of all of Gasparro's work. I have a few pieces of his that I can't trace. It would be great if all artists had catalogs like Dan Carr.

Here's a piece from Bernard von NotHaus, of Liberty Dollar fame. I was surprised that I can't find any information on this either.

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

Well I assume this plaster is perhaps a design for something that was never made. But I have a few more and they all seem to match designs that were actually implemented. I was just thinking I hadn't found it yet.

It sure would be nice if there was a catalog to look at!

• Options
    edited January 21, 2018 12:57AM

Do you own that? If so, that's very cool!

• Options
    edited January 21, 2018 12:58AM

Sweet!

With such a collection, it might be cool for you to create a Gasparro reference.

• Options

@Zoins said:
    Sweet!

With such a collection, it might be cool for you to create a Gasparro reference.

That would be cool, but I wouldn't even know where to begin!!

• Options

@coinkid855 said:

@Zoins said:
    Sweet!

That would be cool, but I wouldn't even know where to begin!!

Any easy way would be to convince @RogerB to write one using your collection ;)

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkid855 said:
    I do! I have a few really nice ones.

Definitely not an FEV :lol:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

The OP might consider trying to contact the people running this Smithsonian website:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/object-groups/art-of-frank-gasparro-10th-united-states-mint-chief-engraver

• Options

@howards said:
    The OP might consider trying to contact the people running this Smithsonian website:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/object-groups/art-of-frank-gasparro-10th-united-states-mint-chief-engraver

I might just do that, thanks! I do have a plaster of the eagle from "Sketch of Proposed Reverse for New Dollar Coin" it seems which is interesting. I think it was used on the Pennsylvania Numismatic Society logo too.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2018 9:50AM

I do have a plaster of the eagle from "Sketch of Proposed Reverse for New Dollar Coin" it seems which is interesting. I think it was used on the Pennsylvania Numismatic Society logo too.

That eagle was created by Gasparro for the Philadelphia Bicentennial:

The Pennsylvania Association of Numismatists (PAN) uses the same eagle and notes the same:

https://pancoins.org/product/pan-logo-medal/

The obverse eagle design was sculpted and engraved by U.S. Mint Chief Engraver Frank Gasparro for the Bicentennial of the City of Philadelphia in 1976.

They appear to be very proud of Gasparro as they use it a lot! Here's their membership card and show ad:

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were multiple eagle designs intended for the Ike dollar and a revised small dollar. (One idea intended to get the small dollars to circulate was to change the reverse design. Another was to make the coin a different color.) The 1981 plaster plaque design comes from 1968 with multiple variations. It was deemed "too aggressive" by Treasury and Mint.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2018 11:42AM

@coinkid855 said:

@RogerB said:
    There were multiple eagle designs intended for the Ike dollar and a revised small dollar. (One idea intended to get the small dollars to circulate was to change the reverse design. Another was to make the coin a different color.) The 1981 plaster plaque design comes from 1968 with multiple variations. It was deemed "too aggressive" by Treasury and Mint.

Good to know @RogerB! Are there any attributable quotes saying it was too aggressive?

• Options

Yes. I'll see if I can locate them in my files. This was also reported in Coin Word.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2018 5:08AM

@RogerB said:
    Yes. I'll see if I can locate them in my files. This was also reported in Coin Word.

Cool!! Thanks for the research help, I really appreciate it!

Here's another couple designs. The Gasparro one was used on a 1985 Bowers medal which I have been looking for an example of, and the Columbus design was used on a Bahamas coin, although slightly modified.

I also have an amazing US Mint one I'll try to find a photo of.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2018 6:14AM

Here's the Mint one, @RogerB

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are amazing. How do you store them? I would be constantly worried they would be damaged. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Any thoughts on why he used such low relief on the medallic designs?

[Disclaimer - I've never seen a Gasparro design I liked. But, I'm willing to be surprised.]

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

Assuming the date on the plaster is close to the date he created it, Mr. Gasparro would have been about 90 years old when he made this. We all should be so healthy!

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I couldn't find anything on NNP or in the E-Sylum archive.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options

@ricko said:
    Those are amazing. How do you store them? I would be constantly worried they would be damaged. Cheers, RickO

Very carefully. Me too!

• Options

@RogerB said:

[Disclaimer - I've never seen a Gasparro design I liked. But, I'm willing to be surprised.]

Hmm, I'm not sure. Some of them might have been for coin designs though. I know the Columbus one was.

• Options

@coinkid855 said:

@RogerB said:

Hmm, I'm not sure. Some of them might have been for coin designs though. I know the Columbus one was.

OK. That explains the Columbus one. (As to the design itself, flags are fluttering in the correct direction. The soldier is wrong; they did not wear steel helmets at sea - they would rust in a matter of days - steel was packed in oiled sawdust. Whoever spotted land was in the "crow's nest" not on deck. The layout uses multiple radii for text and images so the whole thing looks stuck together -- maybe it's a sketch model....?)

• Options

[An irrelevant aside --- sawdust on ships carrying colonists was often soaked in olive oil. Once the colony landed, most of this was shoveled to shore, the oil pressed out and used for cooking. I doubt this would be approved by the Michelin Guide or even Anthony Bourdaine.] :)

• Options

@RogerB said:

@coinkid855 said:

@RogerB said:

OK. That explains the Columbus one. (As to the design itself, flags are fluttering in the correct direction. The soldier is wrong; they did not wear steel helmets at sea - they would rust in a matter of days - steel was packed in oiled sawdust. Whoever spotted land was in the "crow's nest" not on deck. The layout uses multiple radii for text and images so the whole thing looks stuck together -- maybe it's a sketch model....?)

Maybe. I'm thinking they're all perhaps rough drafts or something. The Statue of Liberty one was used on small of ounce private rounds and seems just about the same as the final product though. Same with the self portrait.

• Options

@RogerB said:
    [An irrelevant aside --- sawdust on ships carrying colonists was often soaked in olive oil. Once the colony landed, most of this was shoveled to shore, the oil pressed out and used for cooking. I doubt this would be approved by the Michelin Guide or even Anthony Bourdaine.] :)

That's pretty gross...

• Options

Here's the final Columbus design.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2018 3:33PM

Well, the coin appears to be very close to the model, so it appears you have an almost final version in your collection! Great!

[The model appears to be a complete final version prepared for customer comment and modification. That was normal in the business. You might want to send some of these photos to esylum for more detailed comments, especially from Dick Johnson.]

• Options

@RogerB said:
    Well, the coin appears to be very close to the model, so it appears you have an almost final version in your collection! Great!

[The model appears to be a complete final version prepared for customer comment and modification. That was normal in the business. You might want to send some of these photos to esylum for more detailed comments, especially from Dick Johnson.]

That's pretty awesome! I will try to get in contact with Dick. Here's a couple other photos which show that the Statue of Liberty and self portrait designs also appear to be final versions.

• Options
    edited January 23, 2018 1:00AM
  • Options

Yup, I have one of those sets. Although I don't have the original packaging.

• Options

I was finally able to pick up one of these from Europe! Still looking for the Gasparro medal from Bowers.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eagles are way too aggressive.
    I suggest the ostrich which buries its head in the sand when things get tough.

Surely, THAT wouldn't offend. B)

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) should've not tame our eagle ;)
    Interesting post....Thank you

@Zoins said:

@coinkid855 said:

@RogerB said:
    Good to know @RogerB! Are there any attributable quotes saying it was too aggressive?

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an amazing collection. It like a museum.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I better check out of this discussion. I don't even like that they switched the arrows to the LEFT talon on the early bust dollars.

;)

• Options

Thanks for the quote reminder. I don;t have anything in my files, but I recall reading several mentions of this in Coin World back when the design was first introduced. Maybe there's something on NNP?

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool stuff! Now I'm wondering if the Ike dollar was a self-portrait.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2018 3:49PM

So damn much history in coins that is just unbelievable. Great post.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    So damn much history in coins that is just unbelievable. Great post.

bob :)

+1. What talent and a remarkable collection.

• Options

The design in the original post is reminiscent of another medal that Gasparro worked on with Gilroy Roberts. Gasparro created the bust of Vice Admiral Rickover for his first Congressional Gold Medal, and I’m just now realizing that I didn’t illuminate his signature in this shot, but it’s there in the shadows. Roberts did the reverse, and as you can see it has a similar motif as the Gasparro model.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

A Q. David Bowers article about Frank Gasparro and some medals he designed will be published in Coin Update next week. I was talking with Dave this morning and he told me, "Frank was a very close friend of mine and was in constant contact, as I mentioned in my book on modern dollars."

• Options

Just a bit of an update: I still have not been able to find this Aiming to the Future motif on any actual coin. Perhaps it was never used?

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one:

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

You have a very Impressive collection, something to be Proud of not many can say that!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I am sure you have a safe container for these items, what do you do for moisture control? Wouldn't that be a big issue for plaster? Never had one so I'm not speaking from experience, but I have seen damaged plaster items in old houses I used to go through at estate auctions. Most were hanging on walls or lying on counter tops. The damage appeared to be moisture damage. Just curious.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@GoldenEgg said:
    This one:

Oh my gosh! You found it! Thanks so much! Please let me know if it's for sale. :)

Paul

• Options

@1Bufffan said:
    You have a very Impressive collection, something to be Proud of not many can say that!

Thanks so much!

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    While I am sure you have a safe container for these items, what do you do for moisture control? Wouldn't that be a big issue for plaster? Never had one so I'm not speaking from experience, but I have seen damaged plaster items in old houses I used to go through at estate auctions. Most were hanging on walls or lying on counter tops. The damage appeared to be moisture damage. Just curious.
    Jim

The ones that are small enough I put into shadow boxes. The larger ones are just in bubble wrap. All are just in an armoire for now, but in a temperature controlled house, of course. I haven't noticed any issues in the few years I've had them.

Paul

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file