Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1921 High Relief Peace GTG** * AU58***

Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 18, 2018 7:33AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Who can guess the grade on this 1921? Better yet... who could guess the grade and die variety?

Comments

  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Au55 re-engraved Rev details former vam 3

  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

    58

  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

    55 here as well

  • Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm thinking 62 and a vam 1H with those die polishing lines.

  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2018 3:43PM

    what @Crypto said

    Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

    62 vam 3 line through the L ?

  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 9,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Luster on high points, could be an average Unc., I have certainly seen worse in holders.

  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 13,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

    AU55...no idea on the VAM.

    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

    BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore, Nickpatton, Namvet69,...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    58 - 62..... I keep going back and forth.. Nice hair details.... lots of chatter, some wear on Eagle..... But that is one I would want to see in hand... If it were raw, I would buy it. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks to have some wear and a general central flatness..................

    AU-55

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 14,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’ll say 63.

    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

    From only the photo, it appears AU for wear, but it has too many marks to be a desirable example and might be fairly priced as a nice EF. In this case, variety might be immaterial. But -- it's Wednesday and snowing and the good wine is almost gone.... :)

  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @RogerB said:
    From only the photo, it appears AU for wear, but it has too many marks to be a desirable example and might be fairly priced as a nice EF. In this case, variety might be immaterial. But -- it's Wednesday and snowing and the good wine is almost gone.... :)

    LOL. It's not nice to joke like this as some new collectors might get confused.

    @Kkathyl said:
    AU 55 improperly cleaned

    Care to defend your opinion? Do you see a loss of luster and original surface from friction wear? Why do you think it is improperly cleaned. There is usually some indication when this is the case.

    PS You gave me an Idea for my next giveaway! THANKS <3

  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Hard for me to be positive if I don't like the eye appeal
    of a coin...so my generous grade would 53.:)

  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭✭

    AU.. after a couple of drinks ,,,,grader may make a 62

  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

    62

    The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.
    BOOMIN!™
    Wooooha! Did someone just say it's officially "TACO™" Tuesday????
    Retiring at 55, what day is today? :sunglasses:

  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

    AU55 Type 1

    Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

    62

  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You guys are tough to please. :)

    It looks like the coin has a tiny bit of rub; however, we must remember that most folks say grading is done to put a value on a coin!

    AU-55 (Cleaned) $???

    AU-55 About $120 ?

    AU-58 About $180 ?

    MS-62 About $290 ?

    MS-63 About $375 ?

    MS-64 About $700 ?

    So, while I would not pay $700 for the coin as a 64, I could see someone pricing it that way and giving the buyer a discount. Thus, I'm going to bet the coin is in a 64 slab. I think any dealer in the country would grade it at least
    MS-63 and would buy it for $350 - $400 so it could be sold as a 64!.

  • Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That looks like an APMEX 64

  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

    AU-55 to AU-58 tops.

    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    62?

  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

    58.

    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

    AU55 not familiar with VAM as yet

  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'll say 62. I've got one that looks a lot like that. The high points show what looks like wear,typical of a 21, but the fields say mint state, but bag marked up a bit.
    Then again I also have an anacs 63 that looks a lot like this...

    Not going to check vamworld, but is it a 1F? I don't see the swirls under the chin so not 1H.

    Collector, occasional seller

  • Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭✭✭






    Thanks for participating. AU58 Vam 1h.
    There are swirls under chin but I couldn't get a good picture of it to save my life. Thinking of sending this one in for attribution.

  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Oh! I see them in the enlarged picture. Nice photos!

    Collector, occasional seller

  • Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Did you buy that from Apmex?

  • Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ACop Nope, I got it from ebay.

  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭✭

    a lot of sharp eyes ......on the board .....

  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks VAM-1H - Proof dies. Oop's, I missed both the grade and your attribution! :(
    Color me very embarrassed...LOL!
    Is it for sale??? :wink:

  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'll take a 58 with luster, few hits and original toning over a banged-up or dipped-out MS anytime. Unfortunately I've seen 58's that don't meet that standard. So, back to "buy the coin" and use the assigned grade to sort.

  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'll PM my address for this give-away.
    :D

  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Anybody who guessed near gem want to buy some coins :p

  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2018 2:12PM

    Cool coin. I would probably have been in the AU55 camp, but it's super-hard to tell from photos. The BU/AU distinction can be tough, especially on 21s, even in-hand. Luster and surfaces are entirely different on the 21 than the low-relief issues. I fall back on something I learned from Wayne Miller's book "The Morgan and Peace Dollar Textbook." He describes gray patches in the fields, the cheek, or over chin as the earliest evidence of circulation. I find the small ridges on the Eagle's rock to be another easy place to see it. Some look at the feather tips, but poor strike can often affect this area.... not so often on the rock. In these photos, the rock ridges shows definite, but early wear. As an aside, plenty of coins in MS63/4 holders also show early wear..... but that's a topic for another day. :)

    In any case, it's a fabulous coin with interesting character. The closeup photos are well done and show die characteristics very nicely.

  • Options

    close-up I would guess 55, but the holdered shot looks more like a 58. Not sure why, but I never get a feel for how a coin looks from a pic unless its framed with the holder, or a bit more background; white balance, eye relief, not sure why

  • Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Crypto said:
    Anybody who guessed near gem want to buy some coins :p

    Selling any coins you think are re-engraved? You were every bit as wrong, champ.

  • Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If you look at Apmex stock there are a lot of pcgs 64s that look a lot like this one. And somehow they have a hoard of proof die varietie pieces. I've cherry picked 3 of them from there.

  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2018 9:09PM

    @ACop said:

    @Crypto said:
    Anybody who guessed near gem want to buy some coins :p

    Selling any coins you think are re-engraved? You were every bit as wrong, champ.

    There was a hit on the L that made it look like a vam3 which really is the only variety worth noting on a 21 so that was a guess but you know all of that. There are no ms64 that look like that, you are just compounding stupid statements. I suspect you know that too

  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2018 9:19PM

    @ACop said:
    If you look at Apmex stock there are a lot of pcgs 64s that look a lot like this one. And somehow they have a hoard of proof die varietie pieces. I've cherry picked 3 of them from there.

    Is it really cherry picking when they are common?

    It is like saying you cherry picked a few cir 1909 VDB cents from boxes of 1909 cents marked 1909 w/VDBs and then paid retail for them.

    Congrats?

  • Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Crypto said:

    @ACop said:
    If you look at Apmex stock there are a lot of pcgs 64s that look a lot like this one. And somehow they have a hoard of proof die varietie pieces. I've cherry picked 3 of them from there.

    Is it really cherry picking when they are common?

    It is like saying you cherry picked a few cir 1909 VDB cents from boxes of 1909 cents marked 1909 w/VDBs and then paid retail for them.

    Congrats?

    So just to be clear here, you are comparing a series with 28 million coins minted, to a subset from a series with 1 million minted...correct?

  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It's a nice coin. I've never seen a '21 peace I didn't like (unless it's unpleasantly toned).

    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file