Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Fake auction house, selling fake coins, from a fake location :(

Note: This is cross-posted on three numismatic forums.

501 lots of modern Chinese "flea market" fakes (so-called because you find them at just about every flea market for a couple bucks). Auction house doesn't physically exist. Location claims New York City, but shows as Hong Kong local time. Hmmm... :/

I've seen these all over ebay, but this is a first sighting for me of a troll auction house like this. Not surprising though. Guessing there will be the usual slew of shill bids as well.

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-catalog/Collection-of-silver-coins_IJXYDPYCMC/?displayNum=200

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

Comments

• Options
    zski123zski123 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

The auction hosts need to be held accountable to some degree. There's zero buyer protections offered by Auctionzip and the rest. I've made the auctioneers aware they are promoting fake coins to no avail.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Oh my. Perhaps the first red flag is the auction lot titles and descriptions all simply state "Silver coin". Give that cataloger a gold sticker.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Fake auction house, selling fake coins, from a fake location"....can you pay with fake money?

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    "Fake auction house, selling fake coins, from a fake location"....can you pay with fake money?

You mean, like Bitcoin?

• Options

@JBK said:

I'll pay with real money like this one .... and i surely want some change ....

• Options
    tonedSilvertonedSilver Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Very unfortunate for some unlucky buyers.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh. I wonder what they have to do to become a listed 'auction house' on Auction Zip (and on Invaluable too--they are listed there too). Double Ugh.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads-up !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 12:26AM

And they're back for another round. This time 533 lots of the same very fake crud.

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-catalog/Silver-coins-jade_AR62SO9QWR/

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

disgusting that their are people who are buying this crap! Can't they tell? GEESH

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

@mkman123 said:
    disgusting that their are people who are buying this crap! Can't they tell? GEESH

Some are a little better looking than others, but yea these are all pretty bad. I find it particularly alarming that they are unloading them at a rate of over a thousand a month. Lots of scorned collectors...

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad indeed, but I wish all fakes were that easy to spot!