Home U.S. Coin Forum

Walmart where dealers buy their coins now

ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought it funny that Walmart sells Pandas

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Comments

• Apmex is actually the seller. They pay Walmart a commission, similar to 3rd parties selling on Amazon.

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walmart sells pretty much everything.
    I have done searches just for the heck of it.
    You would be surprised what they source.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

We should make them here in the U.S.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    As long as the Chinese Government does nothing about their domestic counterfeiters, who are exporting their bogus coins to the U.S., collectors should not buy these Chinese Panda coins.

I agree 100%. I don't like em anyways.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2018 3:29PM

I just took a look through the silver coinage. Most of it is marked "Sold & Shipped by APMEX, Inc.". At least the silver stuff is. I guess Walmart is trying to be like Amazon.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since AWS controls the net no one can ever beat or be Amazon

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

The US Mint used to manufacture coins for China. Will it ever happen again in the future?

@BillJones said:
    As long as the Chinese Government does nothing about their domestic counterfeiters, who are exporting their bogus coins to the U.S., collectors should not buy these Chinese Panda coins.

One problem is the US government has bigger fish to fry with the Chinese and coins get the short end of the stick in trade negotiations.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not call that a Dealer price.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2018 5:37PM

@Zoins said:

@BillJones said:

One problem is the US government has bigger fish to fry with the Chinese and coins get the short end of the stick in trade negotiations.

I am not talking about the Federal Government, which does not care; I'm talking about collectors who need to think about their interests. They need to just say "NO" to the Chinese Government which disrespects U.S. Collectors. Does the export of counterfeit U.S. Coin benefit the Chinese Government that much? Probably not.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the "king" of retailing is almost ready to be knocked from their pedestal. If I still held their stock, I'd be shorting it.

They had a great model with the superstores in every town and city of any size. Low prices which appealed to many - but a lot of Chinese junk. Of late, they are struggling:

• Closed 60 or so Sams Clubs - losing out to Costco I presume. Sam's offers little advantage over the regular stores.
    • Closed many of their neighborhood Walmart "lite" stores - in our area Dollar General is buying the locations
    • Attempting to look like Amazon by offering all kinds of stuff (like Chinese Panda coins) - they will fail at this as well

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

This is so very true!!! I can see the headlines in China now: THE COIN COLLECTING MARKET IS FILLED WITH AMERICAN COUNTERFEITS.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a huge shakeout that is rocking the retail store business... malls are closing or losing stores at a rapid rate. Small shops come and go so fast that sometimes the first thing I see is the 'Closed' sign. Walmart has felt the effects as well, but since they are so large, at this point, the impact is small. That is why they are attempting to 'evolve'... it is a matter of survival. Cheers, RickO

edited January 15, 2018 9:41AM

@BillJones said:

@Zoins said:

@BillJones said:

I am not talking about the Federal Government, which does not care; I'm talking about collectors who need to think about their interests. They need to just say "NO" to the Chinese Government which disrespects U.S. Collectors. Does the export of counterfeit U.S. Coin benefit the Chinese Government that much? Probably not.

If the Federal Government doesn't care as you say, do you think it's both the American and Chinese Governments that disrespect U.S. Collectors? What about the ANA? Certainly @RogerB feels the ANA should take more action.

Collectors can certainly take individual action, but for such an effort to be effective some marketing and organization may be needed, which is where organizations like the ANA could participate or even lead.

edited January 15, 2018 9:44AM

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@ms70 said:

This is so very true!!! I can see the headlines in China now: THE COIN COLLECTING MARKET IS FILLED WITH AMERICAN COUNTERFEITS.

Pete

It would have to be the modern ones since counterfeiting their own classic coins (pre-1949) is legal there!

It's funny to think that counterfeiting classic Chinese coins is legal in China but is illegal in the US. This is where lobbying the American government is important to get unified, International laws, which is what the US government does for the entertainment industry. The ANA used to be a lot more involved with the US government when it was Washington DC. Look at everything the US Trade Representative (USTR) does:

https://ustr.gov/about-us/policy-offices/press-office/press-releases

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Flatwoods said:
    Walmart sells pretty much everything.
    I have done searches just for the heck of it.
    You would be surprised what they source.

I agree. I've seen coffins for sale on their site.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's funny to think that counterfeiting classic Chinese coins is legal in China but is illegal in the US.

The fact that it’s okay to counterfeit per 1949 Chinese coins in China is not all that odd. According to their ideology and the ideology of many totalitarian regimes, everything that came before the Communist Revolution is invalid. History must be re-written. Therefore the Chinese coins minted before 1949 are all invalid, and copying them is perfectly okay.

The U.S. and other cultures, that respect human rights, value learning from the past. Yes, mistakes were made, but it is best to acknowledge and learn from them, not cover them up with propaganda.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy wheaties there. The breakfast of champions.

HE>I

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file