Home Precious Metals
Options

14 ct gold junk jewelry

skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 4.4 ounces of 14 ct gold jewelry which I would like to sell. According to CoinApps.com’s 14K gold melt calculator the melt value of the gold is $3128. My wife went to a couple of local jewelry stores and she was offered $2000 and $2100. Both stores tested the gold and they confirmed it was 14 ct. I realize the jewelry store is entitled to a profit, but 65% of spot seems excessive. What would be a good price for me to get? Does anyone know who the best buyers are in Southern California? I prefer not sending the gold for a quote

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

There was a name of a refiner that some used here that paid like 85-95% of melt, the name eludes me.....argh

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

70% is about what you'd expect.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

i know that personally it matters what kind of jewelry it is. I buy 14k wedding bands around spot all the time but I don't feel the same way about bracelets or chains at all. I wouldn't pay more than 65% on those

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.midwestrefineries.com/

http://www.silvergoldrefinery.com/

found these that pays much higher than members here and other places. Still trying to figure out the name of the refinery that was mentioned here before

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2018 6:13PM

Midwest Refineries pays 95% of the gold value. You can just ship it to them in Waterford, Michigan and they'll cut you a check and you'll have it very fast. They are open to the public.

http://www.midwestrefineries.com/

bob :)
    PS: I've been doing business and recommending these folks for over ten years.

OOOPS: MKMAN beat me to it!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

I too have sold to Midwest several times, never a problem or hold up.
    Just pack your stuff up and send it in, you will get the best price and fast payment.
    Bob

Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of when I was a kid.... In the small town I grew up in, there was an old man (not sure how old, when you are a kid, the adults all seem old) that would go from house to house offering to buy 'old gold', as if it were worth a lot less when it aged. Many people sold him old chains, rings, ear rings etc., for a nominal fee. They were clearing out old jewelry they did not use and getting cash. Years later, when the old guy (who was always poorly dressed - not rags mind you, but not suit and tie by any means) died, he was found to be extremely rich. He had built a small fortune from the 'old gold'... Looking back, I wonder why no one ever questioned how he lived with no visible means of support. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

ricko, gotta remember that back in those days we did not question such things as personal finances of an adult. Times have changed. People get their noses in a lot of places they don't belong. And now that social media has taken off like a rocket it will only get worse. Your neighbor who once kept to themselves is now spying on you and everyone you communicate with. Sad times and I'm worried for the children.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

My young son had a friend who’s father convinced my son to retrieve any old gold I had and did not use. He was 11 and grabbed all my broken stuff and some cherished items, he took it to him. This adult ended up buying fuel for his house and introduced my kid to pot. I did not let that man off the hook but was told I had to charge my son in order for the adult to be arrested. I did. I ended up down about 5k but it was worth locking up a predictor like that.

What bothered me the most was if the man needed to heat his home and asked I would of helped. I get tough times but the pot thing to me was inexcusable.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member