Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It was a fun FUN. But PCGS was tough!

lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 9, 2018 10:12PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I had a terrific time in Tampa, with the JRCS and BHNC guys. Two superlative presentations were made by Jeff Friedman and Tim Osborn on Bust Cuds and a History of Bust Half Great Collection Auctions (respectively). Sounds dry but holy cow were they stimulating! Crap, I wish I'd been collecting these 30 years ago.

Besides the always enjoyable social side of spending time with so many friends and like-minded collectors (too many to name) a highlight for me was Sheridan Downey's Mail Bid Auction #46. Downey's auctions always draw exceptional bust half dollar consignments and MB46 was no exception. I was very excited to win the Keith Davignon's 1813 O.105 below, as well as the 1822/1 O.102 R4+ and 1824/1 O.102 R5+, both very tough.

I was a little bummed by PCGS's tight grading. I'd hoped to upgrade some AU58's to AU58+ and made only one of dozens submitted. I've decided I have no clue as to what PCGS wants to see. My past AU58 submissions resulted in MS61's and 62's which, oddly enough, are often less desirable. So many friends offered counsel: "Screw the TPG's and their fickle grading. Just love great coins you enjoy."

Here are a handful of FUN selections. I've done better, but worse too.
Lance.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2018 10:54PM

Your many friends are correct.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible gathering of Busties!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

All very nice, Lance.
    I particularly like the '24.
    That's my kind of coin.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report, great coins and a terrific collector

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report... that's a great grouping of bust halves. Congrats.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty group of coins.

Larry

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow those coins are stunning. Great pictures and glad you got to spend time with other collectors.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love 'em, to me, the 1813 is best of show!

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report. :+

Pics aren't showing up for me (on this and other posts)......odd.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was great seeing and hanging out with you as always, Lance.

Thank you for allowing me to check out the AU58’s that you submitted. They are gorgeous coins, every one of them! It blows my mind why you weren’t offered more pluses from that group.

Among your newps, that 1813 is definitely my favorite...love the beautiful toning!
    Congrats on all your pick ups at the show!

Dave

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins Lance... that first '08 is really nice... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHOP................the 1815 is SUPER!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

No wonder the rest of us couldn't find any nice ones- you got them all!

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    Oops...forgot about this one.
    Lance.

Sweet! :love:

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't not like any of em :) As always you bowl me over with your beautiful CBH's, never fails my coin brother. Maybe next year we'll go together. Incredible beauties

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    Lance.

I almost forgot. How do you forget about a coin like this?

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins!

• Options
    23Pairer23Pairer Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Great looking coins, Lance. Congratulations. Quite a set you're building.

Bob

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

That 1831 is off the hook!

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2018 2:27PM

@crazyhounddog said:

@lkeigwin said:
    Lance.

I almost forgot. How do you forget about a coin like this?

Those poor draped bust beauties, always being asked last to the dance by the Bust Half Nuts...

Great coins and excellent photos, Lance!

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - those are from 1 show? :o

Pictures now showing up - nicely done! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

All great coins but the 1831 Looks like she just walked through my front door and sat down to dinner. Very real, the rest look like great coins and she looks like a work of living art. Well done and thank you for sharing them with us.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang, real nice CBH group.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins Lance. Sorry I missed you at FUN .... everytime I went by the table you were gone.

On the 58's upgrading to 61 or 62...can't you submit stating only a "+" on 58's?

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice report and coins

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

@lkeigwin said:
    Lance.

Sweet! :love:

you forgot about it?

Can I see your others?

[J/K I looked up]

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great group of coins, Lance. I cost you some money on the '22/1. Glad to see it go to a good home since it couldn't come to Oklahoma,

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a really lovely set of Capped Halves Lance. The 1813 was quite marvelous in hand in particular and two very, very tough die marriages as well. You have developed quite an excellent eye for quality and eye appeal in your set. You are really a master now (really you are despite your humility). Great seeing you in Florida and I hope the new year brings you continued success and happiness.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Nice coins Lance. Sorry I missed you at FUN .... everytime I went by the table you were gone.

On the 58's upgrading to 61 or 62...can't you submit stating only a "+" on 58's?

I was sorry to not meet up with you, @DIMEMAN, as well as @Yorkshireman and @Wabbit2313. The show was a whirlwind, crowded with meetings and lunches, lot viewing, auctions and big consignments to check out like those from Dave Kahn.

To your question, yes, today you can do that using "reconsideration plus-only". But that service wasn't available more than two years ago.
    Lance.

• Options

Thanks, @GoBust! You know you're my hero. It's always fun seeing you and your incredible busties.

Sorry you had no dupes to sell me. Maybe at the ANA?
    Lance.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful coins.

Nice that our hosts are tightening up (and are letting air out of the gradeflation balloon).

Still and all, it'd be nice for standards to be consistent over time....

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

PCGS owes you. the lesson here is to not expect anything from PCGS on upgrading. They might be pickier in that case than if you just submitted. (perhaps- just sayin)

Great gallery of busties!

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

I think that's a '13 Pete. It is nice though......

• Options
    edited January 10, 2018 6:10PM

@thebeav said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

I think that's a '13 Pete. It is nice though......

Correct. Here's a nice 1815/2 PCGS 58+ I picked up at the 2016 ANA. It was NGC 55 gold CAC at the time.

I've shown it before. Apologies for the tangent.
    Lance.

• Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

My favorite one is the 1824 102. But then again, you know my style!

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

That '15 is a screamer.......I love the clash lines. They add a lot of character. Not to mention the color.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice grouping of coins. the 28 is my favorite, just on looks, but i also really like the 24 and 08. they are all nice.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice 1824 O-102. Those are tough coins to find. It took many years for me to locate a nice, original "collector grade" piece ... thanks to Harry Laibstain.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file