Home Precious Metals
Options

Sterling wire

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all found some silver wire, its non magnetic, looks like sterling wire. Any thoughts on how I could tell? I did heat it and it turned black, that would be the copper, the ends are pure silver no copper core... so if its not magnetic, not pure silver, what else could it be?

Comments

• Options
    ranger1202ranger1202 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2018 4:22PM

Aluminum or zinc. Call the largest scrap metal recycler in your area to see if they have an XRF analyzer. It will tell the composition of the wire.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could it be stainless steel wire?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

its not mig welder wire is it?

• Options

Good thoughts, I will get it tested. It is heaver in hand and light gauge. I guess it could be tin also. Feels to heavy to be zinc or aluminum, but could be... There is an analyzer in town..

• Options

Take it to a jewelry store where they buy gold and silver. They should be able to test it for you usually with nitric acid.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:
    Good thoughts, I will get it tested. It is heaver in hand and light gauge. I guess it could be tin also. Feels to heavy to be zinc or aluminum, but could be... There is an analyzer in town..

I use a flux core wire in my mig welder that measures .035 inch. its silvery colored and sort of brittle. Its a composite that doesn't need any gas to shield it

Plain wire for welding with gas wouldn't look like silver I recall its coppery looking and comes in I think .024 , .030 and .035

Aluminum wire is soft and kind of limp not springy. Its plain though no flux it needs argon gas

They also have wire for stainless ,I haven't used it in a while but I think thats silvery also . It has no flux because you need a shielding gas mixture also

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could also be silver solder...used in brazing.... it will have silver, but also some zinc and copper... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Just tested: nickle, copper and zinc wire mostly nickle..... oh well, I can use the wire at home and it cost me 2 bucks for a 14 oz spool!

THanks everyone!!

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the update. Interesting thread.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:
    Just tested: nickle, copper and zinc wire mostly nickle..... oh well, I can use the wire at home and it cost me 2 bucks for a 14 oz spool!

THanks everyone!!

Sounds like GERMAN SILVER

German Silver or Nickel Silver is a metal alloy of copper with nickel and often but not always zinc. It is named for its silvery appearance, but contains no elemental silver.

German silver is extensively used because of its hardness, toughness, and resistance to corrosion for articles such as tableware (commonly silver plated), marine fittings, and plumbing fixtures. Because of its high electrical resistance it is used also in heating coils.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

Sounds like monel metal. It's mostly nickel with copper alloy with a minor amount of other metals. It's a popular metal for wire that has to be extremely corrosion resistant.

• Options

well just so you know I don't go around buying wire hoping it will be sterling!! It was part of a lot of jewelry beads and things people use to make jewelry at an estate sale..I passed on the beads and things and bought the wire...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... it COULD have been silver solder..... ;) Better luck next time... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

Silver make the best speaker cable hands down.