Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Oregon Trail Memorial commemorative half dollar 1938-S - Finally got one

WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 22, 2024 6:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

My main numismatic interests are non-US coins and some types of medals and tokens.

I do browse the United States coin forums and now and then there is an Oregon Trail half dollar, usually with a MS (Mint State) grade and sometimes with additions like CAC (Certified Acceptance Corporation) stickers.

These coins are nice looking and sometimes considered beautiful, with the covered wagon heading west designed by James Fraser and the American Indian designed by Laura Fraser.

These coins were issued from 1926 to 1939 and have a colorful numismatic and political history.

At a recent local coin show, I talked to a dealer who had two MS and CAC Oregon's and asked if he had any others.

He did, a 1938-S, uncertified.

image
United States Commemorative Half Dollar - Oregon Trail Memorial 1938-S

As an aside, my great-great grandmother Minerva travelled from Ohio to California in 1851-1852 in a covered wagon. The first part of the route was on the Oregon Trail and then a California trail.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I agree that’s one of the better-designed commemoratives, and I love things with the “Wild West” theme. Congrats on your pick-up!

  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 13,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

    One of the better designs in the Classic Half Dollar series! Congrats on the nice commemorative!

    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

    BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore, Nickpatton, Namvet69,...
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @WillieBoyd2 said:
    As an aside, my great-great grandmother Minerva travelled from Ohio to California in 1851-1852 in a covered wagon. The first part of the route was on the Oregon Trail and then a California trail.

    Glad you were able to pick up a coin. It's one of my favorite designs. Love the family connection with Minerva too.

  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2018 11:54PM

    My favorite commem design

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @koynekwest said:
    Here's my '38-S. I've had it for more than a dozen years. PCGS 66.

    Love the color on that :)

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The Oregon Trail commemorative is one of the great designs... and both obverse and reverse qualify for that description....Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice. The Oregon is one of the best designs only rivaled by Texas imo. Here's mine, a 26-S...


    ...Still need to get me an @dcarr Dan Carr Oregon!

    The more you VAM..
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I do, too. It's in my color coin 20th Century type set.> @Zoins said:

    @koynekwest said:
    Here's my '38-S. I've had it for more than a dozen years. PCGS 66.

    Love the color on that :)

    I do, too. It's in my color coin 20th Century type set.

  • Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

    dcarr Dan Carr Oregon heres mine

  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @1940coupe said:
    dcarr Dan Carr Oregon heres mine

    Gimme gimme! :tongue:

    The more you VAM..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file