Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Better date $20 Lib.--crossover or submit raw?

logger7logger7 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for expert views on this better date $20, would you cross it or submit raw? Thanks.


Comments

  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Crack and submit, even if it takes two times. Looks kice

  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice coin with full AU characteristics including minor field disturbance. I suspect you'll gain considerable value once it is authenticated by a different company.

  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I compared it to a lot of NGC/PCGS auction coins and it looked like a solid 61 or even 62.

    Better pics:

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Crack and submit... likely you will get another 61, maybe 62, but it will be in a commercially better holder. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I agree with rickO...looks like a solid unc.

  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

    ALWAYS CRACK any coin not in a PCGS or NGC slab!! ALWAYS! Why should one of the top two TPGS let you know that the second tier services assign virtually identical, market acceptable grades? Duh? :p

  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I agree with @ricko, @Insider2, and others: crack and submit this one. It could come back the same or slightly improved, but at least it will then be in a PCGS holder and more viable if you ever sell it.

  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If you are going to get it graded, crack it out and send in raw. That holder will not help you get a better grade. As for the coin it should get an AU-55 minimum with a good shot at AU-58.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2018 3:43PM

    I ended up selling it to an area collector for a small profit. I looked at it pretty carefully, a little friction on high points as many certified Uncs. have. When it was graded the company was in CO, with top talent like JP Martin and Keith Love working as graders, I think JT was the manager. In the early 2000s I did some submitting of gold and found them more conservative than PCGS and NGC with coins I cracked out hoping for a better number. Also I bought a rare date $20 in one of those OH ICG that upgraded significantly. https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/topic/84030-keith-love-resigns-from-icg-citing-a-personal-preference/

    One example: https://coins.ha.com/itm/a/1241-8329.s There are many others that it compares to at auction in the 60-62 range.
    http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/9002

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file