Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need help grading this flying eagle penny. Possible D.D.O?

anthonypacyanthonypacy Posts: 23
edited January 6, 2018 6:42PM in U.S. Coin Forum

One of the pictures shows some minor doubling on the “a“

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2018 1:39PM

It's a "CENT", not a penny.

I'd go with 40, BUT, is that some PVC contamination at 7:00 on the reverse?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF details but excessive marks for the grade, especially on the obverse.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@ms70 it’s not on the coin

• Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    XF details but excessive marks for the grade, especially on the obverse.

I agree, maybe pictures out of the holder would help, hard to tell what's on the coin or what's on the holder.
    Bob

Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

The images make the obverse appear to have been cleaned, but it may just be the lighting.
    I would agree it seems to have XF details, but areas of weak strike.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last two pictures make it look like a VF-25. Even if it does have a fair number of marks, that grade would still hold. The pictures above that have VF-35 sharpness, too many marks to avoid a 10 point deduction. So, VF-25, straight or net graded.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say 35. Not a handsome coin.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

@ms70 @Walkerguy21D @BobSav pictures are updated

• Options

The new images make it appear a little more original, but based on the wear (and tear), more like VF30/35.
    The reverse looks XF - but the obverse carries the weight.
    I also think it is the Large Letters variety....and the doubling noted on the A is probably mechanical doubling, not a doubled die variety.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2018 10:44PM

@anthonypacy said:
    @ms70 it’s not on the coin

Yes, better pics now. With these views I'd say 30. I'm thinking it probably looks better in hand (not magnified).

When EagleEye comes across this he will give some good thoughts.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a Large Letter / Low leaves, which is scarcer than the High Leaves reverse. It looks like an S3 which is a DDO. It has all the feathers on the left wing well defined, so it is at least an EF. Lots of marks, so it is not a Choice EF.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

What Rick said.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The last two pictures make it look like a VF-25. Even if it does have a fair number of marks, that grade would still hold. The pictures above that have VF-35 sharpness, too many marks to avoid a 10 point deduction. So, VF-25, straight or net graded.

That's closer to what I thought. Also, it has MDD, and is not a Doubled Die.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a DD. That is shelf, mechanical, ejection or such to make it appear as a DD.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will accept the evaluation given by @EagleEye.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would definitely take the call from Rick Snow on F.E.and Indian Cents any day of the week. Also check out the eye on the eagle, it appears to be doubled as well.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pardon me but any poster calling this coin MD is seriously misinformed. Anyone with any experience can easily see that this coin is a doubled die. AFAIK, photos of this variety are all over the place.

Here is the problem: The OP posts a coin, and FINALLY one of the prominent authorities on these coins identifies it as a DDO. Even he can make an occasional error; however, he ID'ed the die and his opinion was backed up by a former ANA professional authenticator! CASE CLOSED!!

Yet, some folks continue to post nonsense. Perhaps it would have been better to ask Rick and Tom to help you to see why they made their determination. o:)

At least a few posters had the good sense to comment on only what they know something about - grading. :)

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2018 11:10PM

Dear @Walkerguy21D,

I just saw that you disagreed with my post. :( Do you have a copy of Rick Snow's books on Indian Cents and Flying Eagles? Rick has provided us the Snow # of this DDO coin.

So, I'll post this again: Any poster calling this coin MD is seriously misinformed! PM me with your address and I will send you a copy of a handout given to ANA Seminar students teaching them the difference between MD and doubled dies. The information is written by an author of the Cherrypickers Guide to varieties. :)

• Options

I certainly don’t disagree with Rick’s opinion; I do however disagree with your premise that apparently no one else other than recognized experts are entitled to express an opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file