Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Couldn't make it to FUN but do have a NEWP. ex MLC

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 3, 2018 4:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Technically it's my first purchase of the year as I just received it today. This exact coin I've wanted since I first caught wind of it. I'm a sucker for a good back story. This was the coin that sort of put CRO on the map presence wise back in the day and it will go into the CRO box of 20.

Head of a Fool Stamped on the Neck of an Ass.

mark

The rest of the story

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Terrific example... Congrats.

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Gorgeous! Dig the toning pattern, it's like a coin within a coin!

    Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Glad you got that one, a stunning example.

  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ok, that backstory is awesome. ;) Nice pickup and a really pretty example!

  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Always liked that one! Nice pickup

    Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Never really cared for this type of coin, But I must say I really like it.

  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2018 5:37PM

    Mark, you speak well to collecting interesting coins with a great story. What coin did this one displace in your box of 20?

    OINK

  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @OldIndianNutKase said:
    Mark, you speak well to collecting interesting coins with a great story. What coin did this one displace in your box of 20?

    OINK

    Still working on building it! Thanks!

    m

    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice Reale! Id love to put a type set together for myself one day!

  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The Bank of England, its dollars to pass,
    Stamped the head of a fool on the neck of an ass.

  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I've never seen one with the large counterstamp before, only the small oval counterstamps - and not many of those.
    Thanks for sharing the coin and the backstory!

    Successful BST transactions with 177 members. breakdown, scotty1419, mattniss, bigjpst, onlyroosies, Manorcourtman, guitarwes, Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Really neat Mark.......I wish you were going to FUN.......we could discuss the DEZ "catch". :o

    Seriously I wish you were going.

  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭✭

    Always liked that one. Keen CRO marketing helped

    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Think about attending the NY international next week

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coinkat said:
    Think about attending the NY international next week

    I went last year ( when I worked in NYC ). Now that I'm working in Mexico City I'm not there as much. Just got an email that they are shutting down our offices tomorrrow. Yikes

    m

    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

    Really neat coin...congrats on the pickup. Was surprised to see MLC's set of coins broken up...pretty much all of them, like noted in the description, would be very hard to replace.

  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Congratulations. Cool.

  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Congratulations Mark...I'm glad you are the new owner!

  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2018 7:58PM

    @MidLifeCrisis said:
    Congratulations Mark...I'm glad you are the new owner!

    Thank you and I will take good care of your baby. When I saw It for sale my fingers got all sweaty and I couldn't type fast enough

    Happy New Year Mark

    m

    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice! I recall liking it when MLC had it. Very cool, congrats.

    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Not really looking for much these days but if I were, it might be a toner. :smile:
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Justacommeman said:
    Thank you and I will take good care of your baby. When I saw It for sale my fingers got all sweaty and I couldn't type fast enough

    Happy New Year Mark

    m

    I had the same reaction when I saw it for sale several years ago!

    Happy New Year to you too, my friend.

  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DIMEMAN said:
    Really neat Mark.......I wish you were going to FUN.......we could discuss the DEZ "catch". :o

    Seriously I wish you were going.

    Sure I could talk about the "no catch" for days B)

    It would be an honor to meet you one day Jon

    Happy New Year

    m

    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Beautiful coin with a neat story, Congratulations!!!

  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭

    Love it! Great purchase ( and offering! )

  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Great coin, congrats!

  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 14,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I enjoy learning here, nice pickup...congrats :smile:

    Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb, Ricko

    Bad transactions with : nobody to date

  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Great read, thanks for posting

    Frank

    BHNC #203

  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Justacommeman

    You sure do have great numismatic taste. Thanks for sharing another neat purchase.

    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I guess if your gonna pay for a little head that's the kind to get ;)

    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Now that is an interesting coin... I have seen counterstamps before, thought them interesting.... but never really got excited about them (as some collectors do). However, that one is super... what a great coin with an interesting back story. Congratulations... Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I love the color.

    Fan of the Oxford Comma
    CCAC Representative of the General Public
    2021 Young Numismatist of the Year

  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The version I remember read:

    "To make a Dollar for Five Shillings pass;
    Stamp the head of a Fool on the neck of an Ass!"

    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

    I love that one, and was surprised when I saw it in the EB. Don't see them very often. Great purchase! You don't have the bust dollar with similar stamp, do you?

    1TwoBits

    Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I love it!

  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Great ass coin!

  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 14,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

    WOW!! That thing is gorgeous all the way. Nice score

    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Awesome specimen and interesting story, thanks for sharing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file