Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Always gotta read the description in eBay auctions!!

ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stumbled across this one from a zero feedback seller. I am always amazed that this type of auction is allowed...not sure how eBay would regulate, maybe have the seller be clearer about the roll contents that they are mixed dates etc. if it is a roll sale.

[https://ebay.com/itm/1932-D-WASHINGTON-QUARTER-ROLL-10-BU-UNCIRCULATED-90-SILVER-OLD-OBW-NR-03/263410722155?hash=item3d5480a56b:g:5SgAAOSwEEBaRb0B]

In the description the seller does mention:

_We are offering an auction on ebay for the 1932-D Washington Quarter Roll. Original Bank Wrapped $10 BU 90% Silver mixed mint and will possibly have earlier dated coins as well. _

Not sure how they are going to get earlier dated Washington's though! :) I hope the potential buyers either ask pointed questions or have second thoughts and retract their bids. Unless it truly is an original bank wrapped roll of BU 1932-D's then it might be a good find!

K

ANA LM

Comments

  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2018 9:39AM

    No doubt. I just let a young high schooler do some listing for me on ebay. I put 9 peace dollars in three groups . Each with a P, D, S, minted specimen and told him to list them in 3 lots. He did exactly that. I showed him where the mint marks were, so that he could see them. He wrote them up in the title as a "lot of P-D-S, 1922 Peace $s"
    My bad. I should have proofed the listings, but I didn't . Each group sold for about fifty bucks, unfortunately one guy got all the P minted coins. One guy got the S minted coins, One guy got the D minted coins.

    These little nuances probably are the ones that upset me the most when I'm playing "teacher". Not that I can't fix the problem created..., it's just that someone else I trusted created a problem that I'm liable for.

    Likewise, I recently ordered a table through an online business. They sent the table and it was damaged. They said to just "throw it away, or give it to charity", rather than ship it back. I'm at a loss, and I'm guessing that's the way the cookie crumbles. And not to mention, I got some lady's nightstand, who's waiting in Florida. So much for progress.

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'd stay away from it.

  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Jimnight said:
    I'd stay away from it.

    Unclear descriptions can lead to upset buyers. Anyone can sell anything on Ebay, whether they know anything about it or not.

    Echo: Stay Away.

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

    _We are offering an auction on ebay for the 1932-D Washington Quarter Roll. Original Bank Wrapped $10 BU 90% Silver mixed mint and will possibly have earlier dated coins as well. _

    The first sentence is a contradiction. If you read it all the way through it’s really grab bag, which from what I’ve heard, is not legal on eBay. If the roll is bank wrapped and unsearched, they should not be able to see anything other than one side the two end coins. How do they know that there is a 1932-D quarter in there? If they were honest, they’d have to say they don’t know what’s in the roll. This offering offers flypaper with the first sentence and nothing else.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BuffalolronTail For sure.

    Jim

  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

    maybe the 'earlier' would be standing liberty quarters

  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2018 10:35AM

    @davewesen said:
    maybe the 'earlier' would be standing liberty quarters

    What else could be if it is a "BU bank wrapped roll" as claimed. Don't believe any of it.

    Perhaps there is one 1932-D quarter in the roll and the rest are circulated Standing Liberty quarters and even some Barbers.

    Years ago I bought this 1932-D quarter from a collection that was in an estate. The collector had put together the set of "BU" Washington quarters." All of the common dates and slightly better coins were Mint State, but the 1932-D looked like this.


    The 1932-S was not much better.


    This was the sort of thing that happened to collectors before there was third party grading.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I will not pursue an auction on ebay if there is the slightest question regarding any part of the listing/description/seller. I have, on occasion, when all else seemed right, asked for clarification on some part of the item (not a coin). And this listing would be quickly passed. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2018 10:07AM

    Having problems with links today. Clearly a D on one end with a 1932 on the other, means nothing.

    Chat Board Lingo

    "Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It is clearly no "original bank wrapped roll". No silver quarter quarters rolled 85 years ago in that old coarse paper roll could possibly show blast-white specimens on the ends.

    Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan, Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins, justindan, doubleeagle07

    Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

    My mind reader refuses to charge me. . . . . . .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file