Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

For me, the FUN show in Tampa is cursed.

goldengolden Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 2011 the show was in Tampa. My sister ,who lived with my mother, was in the hospital for 45 days . I went to stay with Mom.

In 2016 the show was in Tampa. Our daughter was sick. I stayed home with her.

In 2018 the show is in Tampa. I had hernia surgery on 12-4. I am doing very well but I feel every bump in the road when I am in a car. I do not feel like bumping around in a car for two days each way to the show. I thought about flying but I have weight lifting restrictions and would not be able to manage a suitcase. I will not be at the show this year.

The only other time that I have missed the FUN show ,since 1973 ,was in 1978. I decided to save my leave, from work ,and go to the first ANA Mid-Winter show in Colorado Springs. It was the only show ever held in an ice arena ( with plywood laid over the ice ) and the temperature near freezing. It was beautiful outside with 8" of snow.

I am very disappointed not to be able to attend this time. In the words of Herman Munster " Darn, darn,darn".

Everyone who attends , please, please post a show report. I will be waiting for them.

Next year Orlando!

Comments

  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Hope that you aren't a Michigan football fan!

  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ouch, that sounds painful. Hope you recover quickly!

  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭✭

    I’ve noticed that scheduling Tampa completely erases global warming...you freeze every year the show is at Tampa.

    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 10,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2018 6:59PM

    @golden said:
    In 2011 the show was in Tampa. My sister ,who lived with my mother, was in the hospital for 45 days . I went to stay with Mom.

    In 2016 the show was in Tampa. Our daughter was sick. I stayed home with her.

    In 2018 the show is in Tampa. I had hernia surgery on 12-4. I am doing very well but I feel every bump in the road when I am in a car. I do not feel like bumping around in a car for two days each way to the show. I thought about flying but I have weight lifting restrictions and would not be able to manage a suitcase. I will not be at the show this year.

    The only other time that I have missed the FUN show ,since 1973 ,was in 1978. I decided to save my leave, from work ,and go to the first ANA Mid-Winter show in Colorado Springs. It was the only show ever held in an ice arena ( with plywood laid over the ice ) and the temperature near freezing. It was beautiful outside with 8" of snow.

    I am very disappointed not to be able to attend this time. In the words of Herman Munster " Darn, darn,darn".

    Everyone who attends , please, please post a show report. I will be waiting for them.

    Next year Orlando!

    I remember the Ice Arena show. It was the first show with major dealers that I ever attended. I was still in high school at the time, so no real money to spend.

    PS:
    I also had double hernia surgery ... in 1961 at the age of three. They cut me open all the way from starboard to port. Someone must have thought it was going to be bad, so they fixed it early on.

  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Maybe next year will change your luck. I like Orlando more.

    Larry

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Golden.... sorry to hear of your situation... However, I will echo your request for show reports... the more the better... Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Missing a big show is really disappointing. I missed summer FUN because of a kidney stone. :/ I had an exhibit planned. :( Maybe this year for that one ... :)

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My plans fail. That's why I work every day and still have fun.

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

    One of these years a FUN show will be in my future, it's just too far of a drive from OKC. Arlington, TX will be my show this year with the ANA National Money Show Mar 2018.

    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

    BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore, Nickpatton, Namvet69,...
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Just on a side note for folks with big families. the drive from Orlando to Tampa is just a bit over an hour. For many the wise move would be to bring the family to Orlando and spend a day visiting the show while the rest of your family visits the major attractions in Orlando. For everyone else see ya soon in Tampa

    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

    TERRIBLE LUCK! I plan to go to the FUN show someday. Its a long trip from the west coast. I am going to plan a trip to Disney World for my family and conveniently plan it around the FUN show so I can knock out 2 birds with one stone.

  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

    i hope next year is better for you.

  • Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

    Well for any of you that are on the way to not so sunny florida bring warm clothing, it's freezing down here and the wind won't quit.
    Have fun.
    Bob

    Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file