Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Error valuation help

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several error coins from my late father's set and would appreciate help in determining value.
First, a 1902-O Morgan dollar with a die chip obscuring the tail of the "2" in the date:

Second, a "cut and sheer" 1974 Kennedy half:

Third, two undated Lincoln cents that are dramatically mis-punched.

I would be grateful for any help on these.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Priceless if from your dad

Thanks, Boosibri!
    However, I have saved enough other pieces from his set.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2017 10:18AM

All are errors. None are worth much of a premium however. You should just keep them.

The correct terms are die chip, clip, and off centers.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1902-O Morgan dollar is just a die chip. It happened on a few 1902 dies there and isn't considered anything important. That's the short answer. In the 1992 edition of the VAM book (and maybe earlier ones), the entry for 1902-O VAM 1 says "some specimens show" this break. Probably as a result of this, these die breaks weren't individually cataloged. Had they first been found today, it would probably be a different story. More recent study of 1902-O has resulted in more accurate and precise listings, with many errors being corrected. VAM 1 is not believed not to exist, and the die pairs that show this die chip in later die stages are cataloged as something else, including VAM 15A, 52, and 76.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice errors but not (that I have seen) of high value... @ErrorsOnCoins would be the expert in that area and I would trust his input. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Nice errors but not (that I have seen) of high value... @ErrorsOnCoins would be the expert in that area and I would trust his input. Cheers, RickO

Yep...........definitely collectable and worth more to you because they are keepsakes.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Major cool factor being from your dad.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji