Home U.S. Coin Forum

Picked up this Maine Commemorative CRH - what should I do with it?

MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 29, 2017 6:32PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Picked this one up from a bank a while back. It came in a customer roll. It has a golden hue to it but is a bit dirty. I gave it a soak in acetone but didn't do much. Any thoughts on what I should do with it. Dip it? Leave as is? Worth submitting? What it might grade at?

Thanks!

Comments

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sell it to me.

Cheers

Bob

• MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:
    Sell it to me.

Cheers

Bob

I'm not really thinking of selling it Bob - more curious about whether I should leave it this golden tone or dip some of the grime off it and what it might grade out at.

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

As an AU, at best, you'll gain nothing by dipping it.

Cheers

Bob

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice piece!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it better as it is than I would if you dipped it.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure why you'd wanna mess with it. Looks just fine to me.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Well I'm not the best at taking photos and it looks a bit darker in hand. I was thinking it might bring out a bit of luster to it.

• mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah, let it be. Great find.

mirabela
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh don’t dip it. Just enjoy it.

• Send it to PCGS get it graded, get it slabbed.

I LOVE old coins.

• earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

Probably an XF piece, that saw circulation. Neat that you found it. Probably not worth sending in. Just save and enjoy.

• KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭

Dipping will just reveal a bland-ish XF/AU coin that looks the same as all other such coins.

Leave it with some personality and skip the dip.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just leave it as it is. The world doesn't need any more dipped out AU commems.

All glory is fleeting.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's an AU classic commem. If you dip it then it will look like garbage (sorry, but that is the truth) and if you certify it at PCGS you will be throwing money away. Enjoy it as-is or sell it raw to net the most.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the leave it alone and enjoy it camp but am drawing a blank on what 'CRH' means.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sparky64 said:
    I'm in the leave it alone and enjoy it camp but am drawing a blank on what 'CRH' means.

It took me a moment, but I believe "CRH" stands for "coin roll hunting".

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@sparky64 said:

CRH - Coin Roll Hunting. It is when you go to a bank and buy rolls of coins and search through them. Just like when you were a kid pulling coins from circulation. It can be a bit addictive but every now and then something interesting appears and once in a great while you can have a great find.

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MaineJim said:

@sparky64 said:

CRH - Coin Roll Hunting. It is when you go to a bank and buy rolls of coins and search through them. Just like when you were a kid pulling coins from circulation. It can be a bit addictive but every now and then something interesting appears and once in a great while you can have a great find.

Ah, got it and am familiar with the concept.
    The Maine is one of my favorites and I'm guessing it's special to you based on your username.
    Nice find.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

@sparky64 said:

@MaineJim said:

@sparky64 said:

Ah, got it and am familiar with the concept.
    The Maine is one of my favorites and I'm guessing it's special to you based on your username.
    Nice find.

Well I do live in Maine so it makes sense that I would stumble on one of these in a Maine bank. I have found a few other classic commemoratives this way including a couple Stone Mountains, a Pilgrim and a bunch of modern ones like the Columbus, Washington, Statue of Liberty and others. It is a cheap way to enjoy coins and treasure hunting at the same time.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Splotchy and unattractive to me. I would either keep it as is (I don't think it will dip out) or trade it + cash for a slabbed coin.

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2017 6:23AM

@BryceM said:
    Oh don’t dip it. Just enjoy it.

+1
    Only if I could be that lucky...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to add my opinion.... I would leave it as is and not bother sending it to the TPG.... not worth the expense. If you want to 'preserve' it, slab it yourself. It is a nice, circulated commemorative and significant to you (and me, I lived in Maine for a few years after the Navy). Cheers, RickO

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really think some people would suggest slabbing a ham sammich.... :p

Nice find. Put it in a 2X2 and enjoy it or sell it if you want.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Thanks for the comments - I'll leave it as is. I do agree with Insider2 about the splotchy look to it which is why I was thinking about a dip but I'm ok with it as is so back into a 2x2 it goes. It does look good in the three ring binder I have full of all the other CRH finds pulled from circulation.

@Insider2 said:
    Splotchy and unattractive to me. I would either keep it as is (I don't think it will dip out) or trade it + cash for a slabbed coin.

@ricko said:
    Just to add my opinion.... I would leave it as is and not bother sending it to the TPG.... not worth the expense. If you want to 'preserve' it, slab it yourself. It is a nice, circulated commemorative and significant to you (and me, I lived in Maine for a few years after the Navy). Cheers, RickO

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool find.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

start a commem. album. just an idea :)

@johnny9434 said:
    start a commem. album. just an idea :)

I have thought of that. I do like them a lot and it does seem like a good timing price wise to start.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a neat find. Like most of the others, I'd leave it alone. It may have been bought by a non collector who did not know how to store it. Obviously if they stuck it in a roll of the half dollars, the probably heirs of that non collector really didn't know anything about it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is what it is. Just keep it the way it came.

You "might" get more "pop" if you soak it for 24 hours in Acetone.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an awesome find in a roll.
    Gotta be one of the best roll finds of the year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file