Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help me decide if I did good. 1928 peace $

Babboonbobo69Babboonbobo69 Posts: 85 ✭✭✭
edited December 15, 2017 4:19PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I’m newly back into coins and just picked up this 1928 Peace. It is graded pay our sponsor and just want peoples opinion on the grade to see how im doing at picking out correctly graded coins.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2017 4:29PM

Take a look at the discussion below yours at the moment.

• Options

I was looking at that discussion but those are a different type of collectible to me. I’m trying to put together as silver type set and want more whitish coins. I have purchased this PCGS graded 28 Peace and just want opinions on what members feel the grade should be to see if I did good.

• Options
    Babboonbobo69Babboonbobo69 Posts: 85 ✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2017 4:47PM

No one want to give me their opinion on the grade of this Peace dollar?

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks close to GEM, but there are hints of abrasions that might show up had the photos been taken with the coin at a slight angle. Either way, I like it! Original skin and pleasant surfaces/strike.

peacockcoins

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to say it graded 63.

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures make it tough to give a great guess. I'll wager 62-63

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell from the photos, but I'll guess MS64.
    I'd also ask you to be patient....wondering where the opinions are within 18 minutes of posting on a Friday night is kinda pushing it....

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Your coin has some PVC stains on both sides. My guess MS-62 (net) but looks higher.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2017 5:25PM

Fine strike :D PVC :s
    Picture offers challenges. >:):HeadSlap; emoji needed :#

Underneath it's likely 63.667 to 64.141592653 by @Insider2's taxonomy, but the lighting may be affecting my perception of the density of the cloudiness. Consequently my appraisal of marks positively and reflectivity negatively is suspect.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks MS from the pic, but I’d be concerned about the cloudy surfaces (looks like residue) on both obverse and reverse. Dipping residue perhaps from improper rinse?

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2017 5:30PM

Fine strike :D PVC :s and I'll raise you: Clean surfaces w/ very few detracting marks. :) I'll still guess net graded.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    .... I'd also ask you to be patient....wondering where the opinions are within 18 minutes of posting on a Friday night is kinda pushing it....

On the other hand, the mother ship is posting the day's grades as we type, and the 23rd time may be the charm :p;)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2017 2:38PM

Good question

• Options

Sorry about being impatient, I’m at work and been a busy night. It is actually in transit and was hoping it would be here today but looks like Monday with shipping being so slow.
    It is straight graded and looked clean to me (other than discoloration on reverse) I like it and hope it is as nice as I expect when it arrives, if not I can always return it.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS65 Nice

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. 63

• Options
    TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

MS 64

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:
    Fine strike :D PVC :s
    Picture offers challenges. >:):HeadSlap; emoji needed :#

Underneath it's likely 63.667 to 64.141592653 by @Insider2's taxonomy, but the lighting may be affecting my perception of the density of the cloudiness. Consequently my appraisal of marks positively and reflectivity negatively is suspect.

Clearly the upper bound is π + 61, but @ColonelJessup is just rounding off. I think I missed that particular taxonomy lesson.

I'm going to guess it graded MS62 or MS63, depending on whether it looked exactly like this when graded.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will say MS63 if more luster in hand then in picture if not 62. Here is a ms64 ms 62 to compare

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

This one is ungraded

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 or 62!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 grade probably, but looks like it might have some gunk on it as other posters have said, which would be a problem down the road.

• Options

If that is the case (pvc residue) can it be cracked out and repaired (professionally) and re-slabbed?

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Babboonbobo69 said:
    If that is the case (pvc residue) can it be cracked out and repaired (professionally) and re-slabbed?

Yes, I think. The photos aren't good enough to say with certainty that the smudgy areas are PVC tainted. But that would be my guess too.

I like the coin and think it would benefit from professional conservation.
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin said: "The photos aren't good enough to say with certainty that the smudgy areas are PVC tainted. But that would be my guess too."

You are correct. The color, pattern, and appearance are exactly what some forms of PVC look like. :)

• Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

AU58, but I recently was pretty sure a MS64 Morgan was a 66, so....

The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

either a AU58 or MS60

• Options

Ok, here it is PCGS MS64 and I got a decent price on it. I’m just hoping the pvc residue mentioned (I thought it was toning) is not that bad (lighting maybe?) but we’ll see it in person soon!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have return priveledges on this coin?

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is PVC, send it back.... Not worth messing with.... Otherwise, a nice Peace Dollar... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited December 16, 2017 9:38AM

@Babboonbobo69 said:
    Ok, here it is PCGS MS64 and I got a decent price on it. I’m just hoping the pvc residue mentioned (I thought it was toning) is not that bad (lighting maybe?) but we’ll see it in person soon!

Ever wonder why someone would "give away" such an attractive coin? Oh. it's Christmas!

All kidding aside. Often PVC can be removed before it has etched the surface leaving an original looking coin. In cases where the surface is ruined, it's best to leave the PVC (it hides stuff like poor luster and hairlines) on the coin and get rid of it in a trade or sale. If you did get it cheap, you MAY make a tiny profit. :wink:

PS Please keep this secret! I have a little hand-held, battery-operated, fluorescent light to check the surface of coins. When a coin is shielded from the surrounding light, any rub or PVC "jumps-out" as a big change of color. "Rub" turns gray on silver and PVC often turns shades of very pale light greenish-white (you'll know it when you see it).

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:
    I will say MS63 if more luster in hand then in picture if not 62. Here is a ms64 ms 62 to compare

It may be easy to grade the coin underwater with my eyes open than from those pictures

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@Babboonbobo69 said:

Ever wonder why someone would "give away" such an attractive coin? Oh. it's Christmas!

All kidding aside. Often PVC can be removed before it has etched the surface leaving an original looking coin. In cases where the surface is ruined, it's best to leave the PVC (it hides stuff like poor luster and hairlines) on the coin and get rid of it in a trade or sale. If you did get it cheap, you MAY make a tiny profit. :wink:

PS Please keep this secret! I have a little hand-held, battery-operated, fluorescent light to check the surface of coins. When a coin is shielded from the surrounding light, any rub or PVC "jumps-out" as a big change of color. "Rub" turns gray on silver and PVC often turns shades of very pale light greenish-white (you'll know it when you see it).

I wish it were given to me, lol but alas that is not the case. I did get a decent deal on it and yes the seller has a nice 14 day return policy (one reason I felt ok doing the deal) I’ve been looking at other coins he has and the lighting is a little weird and makes some if his coins look off. Oh well I guess I’m going to just have to wait until Monday to see it in person. Then I can make a better decision on what to do.
    Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice, this is why I joined the forum. I need to ask questions to make sure I don’t make too big of a mistake.

• Options

@Boosibri I put the pictures under macro lenses so you could see details. Sorry I was running out to funeral so could not get out the light stands. Hope you get you answer and a few laughs

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

Ok after holding it in person and studying it for a little while, I have contacted the dealer and I am returning this coin. There are definitely some small surface spots that I do not see getting better. Thank you all for your advice. I am now in search of another 1928 PCGS MS64 Peace dollar.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

good idea, there seems to be PVC on it.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

They wouldn’t have slabbed it with active pvc; if that’s what that cloudy issue is from then it’s probably already been acetoned, etc. And yeah, good idea re: return — a coin you don’t love doesn’t generally turn into one you do.

mirabela
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ms63 with PVC, needs a strong dip and may come back better. I agree with insider for a 2nd time. Need to lay off the Nog

• Options

@Crypto said: "I agree with insider for a 2nd time. Need to lay off the Nog."

<3 Let's go for three...See if you can agree with this: HAIL to the REDSKINS!!! Hail victory, ...

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surfaces look dead to my eyes but it just might be the poor images, hope it works out for you.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Babboonbobo69 said:
    Ok after holding it in person and studying it for a little while, I have contacted the dealer and I am returning this coin. There are definitely some small surface spots that I do not see getting better. Thank you all for your advice. I am now in search of another 1928 PCGS MS64 Peace dollar.

Be extra cautious when buying raws from ANY established dealer. Why would they not have it sent in to be graded / slabbed if it is indeed a "steal" IMHO

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a great looking Peace dollar. Be happy :) It’s not the best pic to judge but a 64 is a good grade for this date. I like it.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file