Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent the seller a message that it is a very bad fake.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's bad. My first thought is that it looked like a chocolate coin! Reported.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    I sent the seller a message that it is a very bad fake.

Yes, but it has six bids. Perhaps we should call it "a reasonable facsimile” at least for the general public. Hey, he even shows you the edge. What more can you ask?

I know. A real coin.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. It should be called exactly what it is: a counterfeit.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

I messaged him, and his response was pretty much.. "well, I AM selling it as-is... "

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2017 3:45PM

LOL report time.

Almost as good as this. www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-/322915287142?fromMakeTrack=true

He did not like my message.
    His reply...It's funny... ebay doesn't think so and is watching an banning everyone of you that messages me. If you aren't Interested move on

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gone :(
    I missed the fun

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads-up !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

The guy messaged me again saying he had contacted ebay, and they assured him it would not be deleted, and we were all being investigated... lol. Then, poof. Goodbye fake.

• Options
    ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

Pic of the counterfeit coin:

• Options

For those who have had a bit less experience with the 1854-P Type I gold dollar, here is a genuine example. You can see that the die work is subtlety different.

For those who may have missed it, here are photos of the op's fake coin. I have added them to my "virtual black cabinet."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

thanks for the pictures

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

That's a very nice example of a contemporary counterfeit G$1. It is nicer than the plate image I have for this variety.

Does anyone have the sellers ebay name they could send me? I would like to see if I can acquire it. Thanks!

• Options

@Koinicker said:
    That's a very nice example of a contemporary counterfeit G$1. It is nicer than the plate image I have for this variety.

Does anyone have the sellers ebay name they could send me? I would like to see if I can acquire it. Thanks!

My perception is that the op counterfeit is not contemporary. Most of the contemporary pieces I have were not that good, and they often show handling marks.

• Options

@Koinicker said:

Message sent

• Options

There are a wide range of quality contemporary counterfeits. This example is good, but not great, and some are a lot worse looking than this.

So yes, this is definitely a contemporary counterfeit. Further, XRF analysis on these pieces shows it is a brass planchet with gold plating - this example shows most/all of the gold plating intact - which is rare.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...clearly a counterfeit.... thanks for the pictures, it is gone from ebay...... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Here are three other examples of this same counterfeit gold dollar variety. I've recorded about 6-8 examples of this variety in my census - and surely there are many more out there.

• Options

Great educational discussion

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Philadelphia Mint complained of "gold plated brass" $1 counterfeits. The gold $1 were too small to have any "heft," and were thus easily passed as adulterated (sweated) or counterfeited.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Koinicker cool counterfeits!

• Options
    edited December 21, 2017 11:33AM

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

poof, its gone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji