Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone Ever Get This Screen When Logging Into Ebay?

Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put in my user name and password and this screen popped up. Didn't put any info in and closed the window. Went back to Ebay and it loaded the My Ebay screen like normal. I've gotten a screen to update my phone # but never one asking for my SSN and DOB.

Comments

• MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

Whoa! NO! You did the right thing by not putting in any information. Any screen that asks for your SS number and date of birth is a blatant phishing scheme, and should not only be avoided, but reported to eBay as well.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you manually typed in the URL you may have had a typo that took you to a phishing site. Certainly not looking legit.

• Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have my browser set to auto complete so all I did was type eb in the address bar and it completes to ebay.com.
    I hit enter to go to the site, click on my ebay where it asked for my username and password, put that in and hit enter and this was the next screen that came up, never seen it before. Screen shot it and closed it out.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

if they need to re-verify your account which they do once in a while, it is worth a phone call to confirm first. DONT CHANCE IT

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would let eBay know - that is extremely disturbing. I wonder if you have a virus or spyware on your PC that tracks when you log onto eBay to try to get these details.

My first thought was that eBay/PayPal; sends out tax forms if you exceed a certain amount in sales, but I do not recall giving eBay these details myself, and in any case eBay and PP are separate companies now.

• REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO!
    After typing in the proper ebay web address: Log in and CONSIDER CHANGING YOUR PASSWORD NOW!

All caps. intentional.

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks phishy to me:

1. change your ebay password immediately using a different computer or phone
    2. call ebay
    3. report back what they tell you

if this is a real ebay page, shame on them. they should never ask users for this information in this manner. good luck

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD ON EBAY--preferably on a different device or computer. Yes, I'm all 'capping' it as well. Do ASAP. Call eBay immediately if you have already been logged out. YIKES.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got that screen, or a similar one, a year or so ago. I called and it was legit as they needed the correct info for a 1099......ugh.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2017 2:09PM

Well, that's just disappointing then. How did they get your SSN to use to confirm in the first place? It's been so long since I signed up I have no recollection of what information I've ever given them. Sincerely doubt it was a SSN! Of course, I don't sell much and shouldn't see a 1099.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly, probably legit.
    Wouldn't hurt to call them.

Do you sell a lot through ebay? I mean, a lot (not a few hundred here and there)?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

From doing some checking it seems like Ebay only issues 1099s to those that have over 200 transactions and $20k in sales in a year. I know I don't come anywhere close to either of those numbers.

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over 20K sales on Ebay, here in Canada and your sales info gets automatically sent to our CRA (Canadian Revenue Association).

Under 20K, they get zero info.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weird.
    The reason I said "sadly it looks legit" is that it is https and my.ebay.com is valid...I don't see anything in the URL to make me think it is phishing.
    I've had to do my phone# bit but not a SSN

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you had more than 200 sales with the total exceeding 20K in 2017, eBay is required by law to furnish you with a 1099. However, in order to do so, they need your SS#. If you don't comply, you will place your eBay account at risk, being closed. Suggest you contact them first before doing anything else. Chances are good that PP already has you SS#.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks legit, but I am still wary.

What Ebay should have done is sent you an email or snail mail requiring you to log in and provide your info.

Otherwise, it just looks like phishing.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    If you had more than 200 sales with the total exceeding 20K in 2017, eBay is required by law to furnish you with a 1099. However, in order to do so, they need your SS#. If you don't comply, you will place your eBay account at risk, being closed. Suggest you contact them first before doing anything else. Chances are good that PP already has you SS#.

I thought the 1099's only come from paypal. Ebay doesn't handle your money. Paypal is the payment processor required to file a 1099.

Ebay issues a similar request such as the one in the OP, but it only asks you to verify telephone number. The OPs screenshot is most likely a phishing scam. Yes, change your password.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

They would NEVER verify using SS#

@derryb said:

@OPA said:

I thought the 1099's only come from paypal. Ebay doesn't handle your money. Paypal is the payment processor required to file a 1099.

Ebay issues a similar request such as the one in the OP, but it only asks you to verify telephone number. The OPs screenshot is most likely a phishing scam. Yes, change your password.

I stand corrected....meant to say PayPal.

• ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

You are correct. Paypal required me to give them my SS# for tax purposes. EBay has no legitimate reason to ask for your SS#.

• ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

@Rob41281 said:
    Put in my user name and password and this screen popped up. Didn't put any info in and closed the window. Went back to Ebay and it loaded the My Ebay screen like normal. I've gotten a screen to update my phone # but never one asking for my SSN and DOB.

When I entered the exact same url into my address bar, it took me to my eBay Account page-Personal Information. I would contact eBay and let them know of this malfunction.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get a 1099 from Paypal every year. That's not a problem....I think your 'auto-complete' function in your browser is corrupt. I wouldn't use it. Why wouldn't you use bookmarks ?

did you contact eBay?

@OPA said:
    did you contact eBay?

If it's a phishing scam, it's probably not originating from eBay.

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:
    did you contact eBay?

No but they can confirm it's not from them and go after the phisher.

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:
    did you contact eBay?

No but they can confirm it's not from them and go after the phisher.

Most security is pursued by people like Google and Microsoft not site provider's like eBay. Phishing scams should be reported to the browser.

If it's Chrome:

https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebrowsing/report_phish/

If it's Explorer:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/930167/how-to-report-a-phishing-web-site

Etc.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

A bot or other malware could have been installed on your computer. You need to search it thoroughly. I would be tempted to grab all of my files, reformat the hard drive, and reinstall the operating system, drivers, software, etc.

@cameonut2011 said:
    A bot or other malware could have been installed on your computer. You need to search it thoroughly. I would be tempted to grab all of my files, reformat the hard drive, and reinstall the operating system, drivers, software, etc.

just download the free version of Malwarebytes to remove all malware. I run it regularly and it always finds something to remove.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2017 11:09PM

@derryb said:

@cameonut2011 said:

just download the free version of Malwarebytes to remove all malware. I run it regularly and it always finds something to remove.

I haven't tried that specific program, but most of the software I have used in the past misses traces of it or misidentifies system files and can cause instability within the operating system. Granted, it has been a long time since I have used any of them.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Malwarebytes works really well. The only annoying thing is,after the free trial, a pop up will come up every time you boot up. It didn't used to do that, but it does now....I forgot what I paid to buy that off.....

@thebeav said:
    Malwarebytes works really well. The only annoying thing is,after the free trial, a pop up will come up every time you boot up. It didn't used to do that, but it does now....I forgot what I paid to buy that off.....

So, you're saying that malwarebytes is a form of ransom-ware. :smile:

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I saw a screen such as this, I would copy it, close it and call ebay..... Cheers, RickO

We can all guesstimate what happened, but it's up to the OP to put this to rest by calling eBay. It may be, after all, legit.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe notify ebay about that. sounds like theres something wrong there

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file