Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What are some common hobby goals that younger and older collectors can agree to support?

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking for "common ground for common good."©

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options

Can you be a little more specific?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2017 11:51AM

Let the young and old in the hobby have fun together.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having a goal of sharing your hobby with others, but being cognizant of the reality involved with security issues and knowing how much and with who you are sharing.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2017 5:29PM

@RogerB said: "Can you be a little more specific?"

Sure can:

N U M I S M A T I C
    E D U C A T I O N

• Options
    dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

@Dagingerbeasttt said:
    Be humble with knowledge given and received. Give the novice collecters (me) time and patience. Put aside egos and just numismatics :)

Enjoy numismatics :D typo

• Options

Well, I was kind of fishing for tangible things such as projects or concepts that might be used by individuals and organizations to both help unite collectors, and maybe broaden the scope and objectivity of the hobby. But -- I'll take all suggestions.

• Options
    dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Well, I was kind of fishing for tangible things such as projects or concepts that might be used by individuals and organizations to both help unite collectors, and maybe broaden the scope and objectivity of the hobby. But -- I'll take all suggestions.

What about coin clubs maybe

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough question. We can’t even agree on the easy things like grading standards, the definition of luster, or what a CAC sticker means. ;)

We should be able to agree to:

• Preserve our coins for future generations
    • Respect each other
    • Share knowledge
    • Allow others to collect what THEY like
    • Continue to promote education (summer seminar, grading classes, merit badges, etc).
    • Have fun with our coins.

Beyond that, I got nuthun’

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

" Hobby goals"
    Young and old are looking for something fun to take them away from the normal everyday stuff. Something to get your mind off of what is not fun.
    Education is a good choice. How that education is gained is the tough part of getting young and old together. Forums like this site are good. Coin shows seem to get folks feeling happy. I'm happy with a good book but the younger folks are looking for more. They want something that is always moving, like video. Maybe hands on type of stuff. I can't think of what fits that.

Larry

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collect what you enjoy in grades that make you happy

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

An outreach program designed for and by younger numismatists who actually have a clue about social media strategy and tactics for targeting this specific age cohort. From my experiences with him at Summer Seminar, Glen Holsonbake would have the whole group Skyping with each other PDQ. There are others of like disposition. The primary attribute for management of this project is empathy, not technical computer chops.

As an age-qualified curmudgeon, I think a Pokémon Go app with coins as the subject is ridiculous. Which likely increases the chances it's a good idea. ;)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always had success asking what beginners want to know and begin there. That usually leads to more questions, suggestions on Numismatic literature and/or clubs and even a coin every now and then.

Listen first and then respond at the level of the questioner. But, they have to already be in our sphere. I am assuming the real question is how to attract more to our hobby. I agree with the colonel that that question must be answered by those a fraction of my age. I will be here to help however I can, but the answers lie with someone else.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's ask the question this way - you have X dollars to promote the hobby. How exactly do you spend it?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2017 9:07PM

I've done presentations for children at schools - third to 6th graders. Got to get to them before high school. Nothing with young children lately though. Now, if only I could get off my butt...

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2017 9:29PM

I would love it if there was a national organization for Walker collectors.

I'd mentor the young and learn more from the old.

It would be so much fun to meet collectors and discuss Walkers, at a major show, or similar venue.

Go out for dinner and drinks afterwards.

Maybe even do some sales, trades, etc..

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think that a mutually agreed upon project, like completing a raw series,roll searching,or a display, by a veteran and a youngster might be worth a shot. This would require input from both sides and would entail two viewpoints and force concessions on both sides on how it was to be completed, Thereby provoking interaction of viewpoints and thought processes. Co-mingling/interaction of mindsets if you will. Labor intensive. Use of the local library. Remember the young can learn from the old, but the young can get us thinking as well. They are more apt to question the norm and to say "why can't it be done this way" and not accept the status quo, thereby opening up different trains of thought. Ones we may have not thought of.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Looking for "common ground for common good."©

Thoughts?

Two things:

1) Buy the book!

2) gimme a like.

:)

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea of bringing young and old together... a good venue would be (as suggested above) a seminar at major coin shows on the uses of the internet in numismatics... and not just a forum or google....i.e. the sales and procurement on Instagram and other outlets, taking and posting pictures etc.. Such an opportunity opens pathways of communication, increases contacts and information flows both ways.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quality over quantity

Buy low...sell high

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2017 7:39AM

@ColonelJessup said:
    An outreach program designed for and by younger numismatists who actually have a clue about social media strategy and tactics for targeting this specific age cohort. From my experiences with him at Summer Seminar, Glen Holsonbake would have the whole group Skyping with each other PDQ. There are others of like disposition. The primary attribute for management of this project is empathy, not technical computer chops.

As an age-qualified curmudgeon, I think a Pokémon Go app with coins as the subject is ridiculous. Which likely increases the chances it's a good idea. ;)

Ahhhh....seems like a core concept to bridge the span between old and new.
    Could this be a meaningful hands-on seminar at summer ANA?

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

@ColonelJessup said:

Ahhhh....seems like a core concept to bridge the span between old and new.
    Could this be a meaningful hands-on seminar at summer ANA?

Likely two mini-seminars (1 1/2 hours at night) for starters on overall concepts. The second meeting will weed out a few dilettante attendees and be more focused. The real work comes afterwards. It will be easy to find talented worker bees. A couple of leaders from this group (with some guidance from a computer vet as a volunteer consultant) can design and produce an RFP (Request For Proposal).

Sidebar - the day Chris Napolitano took the Job at SGB, we spent the ride from Irvine to Beverly Hills spit-balling ways in which the SBG systems (internal and user interfaces) could be re-envisioned. Before I started in coins (1979), I had about twenty hi-end techs working for me at a NYC computer consulting firm. Can I program any more? Patently absurd, But I did spend some time previously discussing the ANR/Stacks system with Andy Givens, their tech, before this
    Very unofficially, I spoke to a avid collector friend with very major computer chops who told me
    1) My data-base and semi-amorphous over-all concept Much of it based on prior art was (superficially) on target
    2) Based on his sense of proportion, it was (LOL) too small a job for his company.
    Note - this is not about SBG. so shut up if you're thinking of going OT - this is meant as a handy exemplar.

Now we get to the politics and the costs. If the work was done for free? .... Never mind.... :( I'd give you my story, but I'd be sued for defamation of character by at least two unnamed ANA senior staff (trust me on this, I got the advice from a former Counsel to the ANA).

Word to the wise: As potentially wonderful as my idea might be, if you riff on it in this thread, you may well obscure the OP's intent. So keep your wish-lists out of this. This thread is for concepts, not operationalization details

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2017 9:44AM

My theory is the way to capture the interest of youth is to infiltrate through those who are history majors / enthusiasts. Much of coin collecting has it's roots deeply embedded in history and I think that would be the target group.

Maybe partnering with local schools to have a seminar in conjunction with history classes would be worthwhile. Something where a speaker brings coins related to what's being learned and let those interested in history actually hold it in their hands. Coins minted while Washington was president or minted during the civil war. Real gold and silver or even tokens.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe coin collecting, like all collecting, appeals To those with a taste for completion. Collecting is also about having things and learning but without the without the obsession for completion these desires will not usually result in a new coin collector.

The best and cheapest way to bridge the gap between the old and young is to get the young passionate about their collections and the best way (at least the cheapest) to get them started is to give them folders for cents, nickels, or dimes and see if they can complete them with nice attractive coins. All the currently circulating sets are still doable though some dates will prove elusive in nice attractive VF.

I always enjoy speaking to other collectors who are passionate about their collections. It doesn't matter what they collect and you can always learn something new.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2017 3:24PM

all around collector of many fine things

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

learn how to grade a bit more to help yourself out. its a start on the rest of it.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Support the criminal prosecution of those who import Chinese counterfeits and those who knowingly market those counterfeits as genuine U.S. coins.

Reform U.S. Mint sales practices so that all collectors have an equal chance to buy U.S. Mint products, not just those who buy up the the whole issue in an hour or less and then control the market for those items.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Support the criminal prosecution of those who import Chinese counterfeits and those who knowingly market those counterfeits as genuine U.S. coins.

Reform U.S. Mint sales practices so that all collectors have an equal chance to buy U.S. Mint products, not just those who buy up the the whole issue in an hour or less and then control the market for those items.

I agree it will do no good to resurrect the hobby just to have it bled dry by Chinese counterfeiters and others who fake coins and slabs. People might still collect coins but no one will pay a premium for any coin if there's a high probability it isn't real.

I also agree that the US mint is in effect counterfeiting coins as well when they issue coins that have no relevance to commerce and then market them in ways that hurt the collector and buyers of the products.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like some of the ideas already covered.

My first thought was that education is important. Perhaps some sort of YN program that would take less than an hour could be offered at smaller shows. Nothing extravagant - but enough to spur some interest.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    AthenaAthena Posts: 439 ✭✭✭

Common Good is a slippery slope, not just numismatics :)

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Embrace the history/research

avoid dipping (and no cleaning)

• Options
    edited December 1, 2017 11:34AM

Our Constitution is entirely about the "common good" of the people and nation. "Greed" is not mentioned once.

• Options

We need more women.......ladies.......girls....

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Covert RogerB's books into a Burns like documentary, narrated by a YN.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

Or maybe "YN the Pooh" or "YN and YG" (a pun on "Yin and Yang") ?

• Options

What is of long term concern is that we must bridge the gaps between technological generations to avoid expanding the differences.

• Options

Does the ANA or anyone have a program where collectors could contribute coins or other materials to be given as freebies to encourage YN's? Probably plenty of people like me who would send in some wheaties, buffs and V nickels.

They could do it as a non-profit where you could deduct the contribution on your taxes but they would probably be overwhelmed with tons of wheaties.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Inheritance?

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first goal was to complete a set of something. Which for me was Roosevelt Dimes. Had to make it something attainable to start for a low end collector. I know with many other small collectors I have spoke with, they are turned off by certain coins they can't get due to cost or rarity, then they loose interest in collecting. So I try to communicate new collectors to target a set that isn't that hard to complete to start.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Formation of MeetUp groups via social media ? No offense to the old guard, but it's not easy for young collectors to find their way into established coin clubs and then feel welcome among us super nerds unless they can find an established member to bring them in.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file