Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would this downgrade?

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw a dealer selling this original looking Seated half dollar:

Some light hairlines though the Anacs graders probably thought the hairlines were not that bad and gave it a 63.

Comments

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    That coin is not original; it's been dipped and has gotten some secondary toning, some it on the dark side. I detect a rub on Ms. Liberty's breast and thigh, but that could be just the angle of the light in the photo. In other words it might be Unc., but I would tend to doubt it.

Short answer, I don't think that it will cross as an MS-63. It could be anything from AU-58 to MS-62.

I couldn't agree more.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still learning here, thanks to all who contribute valuable info and opinions :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is easy. Just send it in don't crack it and ask for a cross over. They will not crack it in less it will or you can put cross at any grade and you can take your chances. No one here will be able to say yes or no for sure with out seeing the coin in hand they can get close but they do need to see in hand.

I'll say down grade 1 point but that's just me.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likely a one point downgrade..... however, as noted by @Type2...we really cannot be certain without the coin in hand.... Let us know what happens... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2017 12:10PM

Good news its a real seated dollar and because its owned by someone else it can not harm you in any way.
    The only danger I can see is if you were to purchase it and for some misguided reason attempt to put it in the " right " slab.

If you are getting antsy just take some money out of your wallet and flush it down the nearest toilet.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    Good news its a real seated dollar and because its owned by someone else it can not harm you in any way.
    The only danger I can see is if you were to purchase it and for some misguided reason attempt to put it in the " right " slab.

If you are getting antsy just take some money out of your wallet and flush it down the nearest toilet.

Or buy a bunch of lottery tickets, odds are not that great with those either. If you don't play you can't win; but if you stop playing you can't lose....

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2017 5:38AM

I would not buy it in that holder. What PCGS will grade it you would find out when sent in.

I don’t like the coin (toning spotting obv, avg quality at best) nor would risk a downgrade on a big ticket item like that. You could even end up with a details coin. Pass. Many off bourse would only offer around $200 on it if that much due to downgrade / detail risk.

I would put my money in something else.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

In retrospect I would think MS62 at best, marks are too noticeable to go 63, though the graders probably liked the frosty fresh but not original look.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe in hand it looks superior but my gut says 60 or 61 tops - this one is simply not good enuff for 62!

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2017 3:02PM

I look at that coin and think to myself, why would a coin that expensive still be in an ANACS holder?

And I think the OP hit on it -- it's not a 63 by PCGS/NGC.

Looks more like 62 at best to me, but let's recognize everyone other than ANACS is trying to grade via photograph which is always a risky proposition.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2017 3:41PM

It meets many of the definitions of an MS62, I looked at it in hand and it is a nice coin, the luster is not clear with two dimensional images, which is probably what carried it with the graders. Attractive overall look, lots of luster. Not a bad coin, but hairlines are a problem. The ANA grading standards speak to the hairline issue.

I once had a much better date $20 gold coin that I bought from the company "New World Rarities" in the 90s when they had an "auction" at Wespnex. It was in a 74-s MS62 holder, not N/P, $20 gold. I tried PCGS, came back 61, no dice on that; I tried NGC, same story. I ended up losing real money figuring it would not 62 with the big boys, tremendous "look" but hairlines. Hairline coins can go 62 or even 63 if they aren't bad and have redeeming features, but it is tough.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2017 4:32PM

Perhaps. One thing is for sure; all that loss of luster on the high points (gray color) from "cabinet friction" makes the standard these days for a Mint State coin. I'm 61 Max and not interested in owning it.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Won't cross at grade, might not even grade.
    Hairlines usually are the kiss of death.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2017 12:13PM

What no one seems to mention is value. That con in a PCGS 62 holder is worth more than the 63 ANACS. It doesn't have to cross at grade to be worth crossing. The real issue is price. Is the dealer asking 63 money?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    What no knee seems to mention is value. That con in a PCGS 62 holder is worth more than the 63 ANACS. It doesn't have to cross at grade to be worth crossing. The real issue is price. Is the dealer asking 63 money?

Pointless economic activity .

1: Spend money to buy it, dealer makes money.

2: Spend money to get it down graded PCGS makes money

3: congratulations 1 and 2 will thank you , you now have a newly slabbed problem coin

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

One needs to remember that ANACS of the Amos Press days is not the ANACS of the ANA days.

For a while after the sale, ANACS/Amos still used the two-letter / four number certification#, but with the black background & Amos A in the hologram. Then they started using the all numeric values.

Somewhere in there from cert# 1 to cert# 3 million is when they started doing market grading, and roughly, the larger the number the more market.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fields on the reverse look cloudy, which might be indicative of an improper dip. If that is the case, there is good chance that this would will get a “details grade” from PCGS and NGC.

It may not have had that problem when ANACS graded the coin. If it was not properly rinsed after it was dipped, that problem would crop up later.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@bronco2078 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    What no knee seems to mention is value. That con in a PCGS 62 holder is worth more than the 63 ANACS. It doesn't have to cross at grade to be worth crossing. The real issue is price. Is the dealer asking 63 money?

Pointless economic activity .

1: Spend money to buy it, dealer makes money.

2: Spend money to get it down graded PCGS makes money

3: congratulations 1 and 2 will thank you , you now have a newly slabbed problem coin

1. Every coin you buy, dealer makes money.
    2. Every coin you slab, TPG makes money
    3. Congratulations, you've ASSUMED it's a problem coin.

The whole point was not that it was a polished coin, it was whether it would cross as a 63. The OP apparently liked the coin. You can't tell as much as you think from internet photos.

• Options

So if it needs a quick dip in acetone, etc. you are out of luck unless you do it yourself and submit it raw.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said: "What no one seems to mention is value. That con in a PCGS 62 holder is worth more than the 63 ANACS. It doesn't have to cross at grade to be worth crossing. The real issue is price. Is the dealer asking 63 money?"

IMO, the real issue is that the coin will not be straight graded by the other three services UNLESS it drops to the 60-61 range and is made more attractive.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2017 1:38PM

Upon seeing the blow-up, my delayed response matches what @BillJones's one-year-younger eyes saw immediately. :o
    The "off" lighting for the reverse image (impossible cameo) keeps me from guessing about lines in the fields on that side

Optimal holder: either service AU58 gold.
    Second place: either service AU58

CDN 58/275, 60/330, 63/700

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

@Insider2 said:
    @jmlanzaf said: "What no one seems to mention is value. That con in a PCGS 62 holder is worth more than the 63 ANACS. It doesn't have to cross at grade to be worth crossing. The real issue is price. Is the dealer asking 63 money?"

IMO, the real issue is that the coin will not be straight graded by the other three services UNLESS it drops to the 60-61 range and is made more attractive.

That may be true. The later blow-up makes it look pretty harshly dipped/cleaned. But there is ALWAYS a value issue. Even an UNC details has a price. I'm just surprised (barely) that no one asked what the ask was...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file