Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What exactly is NET GRADING? Why is it used?

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 28, 2017 10:38AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm going to try to let my coin club members know what it is all about. They are old guys and gals not on the Internet forums. I know ANACS did net grading for awhile. I know Large cent collectors do it. I wonder if the two major TPGS use it? Will as many of you as possible explain what it is and how it works. Examples are welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea but in my simple mind I think it would be the mean grade considering the obverse and reverse with some consideration being given to the age/scarcity/rarity of the piece. JMO :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2017 10:43AM

I have a common-date Walker in an MS62 holder. I figured it for an easy MS65, but indeed, if you look carefully, there is a bit of rub. It's not much, but technically the coin in an AU58. The graders probably figured its actual value at closer to an MS62 coin...... so that's the holder they put it in.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a straight technical grade with points subtracted for any problems such as hairlines or excessively dark toning or heavy bag marks. I've seen double eagles for example that were uncirculated as far as having no wear but were graded as AU58 due to heavy bag marks. On the other hand coins with beautiful toning can have points added to their technical grade.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a hypothetical example- If a Morgan dollar has a MS65 technical grade, but has been lightly cleaned but not harsh enough for details grade- how many points would typically be deducted for the net grade if there are no other distracting blemishes on coin.

I found this online.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me, "grade" and "value" are completely different, and no coin should be graded differently based on any assumption of value.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Net grading is an attempt to place a level of preservation on a piece that has some sort of a problem that prevents it from getting a clean, straight grade. The practice is used for two purposes, to estimate a market value and, in the case of early copper collectors, to rank the best coins for a condition census.

Generally run of the mill problems (e.g. light cleaning, minor rim nicks, light hairlines, minor scratches, light to moderate spotting) lower the grade by one level. For example an AU is net graded to EF, or an EF is lowered to VF. More severe problems will lower the grade by more than that. For example a hole in 1792 half disme with Choice EF sharpness might lower it to the value of a VG, and yes, such a coin does exist.

To me the Sheldon grading numbers go out the window for almost all net grading situations. For example if a coin has EF-40 sharpness and is net graded to VF, the value would normally be for a VF-20. How can you call a problem EF a choice VF? To me the two don’t go together.

The one exception of where the Sheldon grading numbers might matter is net grading for condition census purposes. For example if you are trying to rank two corroded large cents with the same sharpness grade, the slightly less corroded one might get a boost so that the ranking for the two coins can be made.

I do not agree with pushing up the net grade because of attractive toning. Perhaps we should develop some sort of scale for toning that is added to the base the grade. I know that might open a can of worms, but increasing a Mint State grade because a piece with marks is beautifully toned is just wrong and misleading. If the toning is uniquely beautiful, that that is a subject decision that should not add points to the base grade.

Grading standards should also not be lowered because of rarity. A rare or key date should not be graded more loosely because it is rare. It should be graded just like its common date counterpart. One pays high prices for rarity; one should not have to pay again with lose grading because of rarity.

Generally I disagree with the certification company practice of net grading slabs. A no problem VF graded coin is worth more to me than an EF with a problem that gets called a plain old VF. Such coins are not of equal value in my opinion.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a judgement call based on an open-minded assessment of aesthetic quality of a somehow impaired coin.

For example, this one seems to have been net graded, not sure why: https://i.imgur.com/JwCAKR4.jpg https://i.imgur.com/gopTY15.jpg

This Bust 50c looked fully AU to me: https://i.imgur.com/Zrg3b.jpg Fields seemed cleaned to me but could have been acceptable impairment.

And then you get relatively minor issues with and otherwise nice coin: https://i.imgur.com/W4P3e8N.jpg https://i.imgur.com/jbwx1TT.jpg What are they worth? Objectively damaged or cleaned coins are knocked way down; but many "would" have been highly desirable if not for the problem.

• Options

@messydesk said: "It is an attempt to establish a grade that reflects the market value of a piece."

This is a little confusing. I think your post is the definition of "COMMERCIAL" grading: "It is an attempt to establish a grade that reflects the market value of a piece." I am looking for a difference - if there is one. I've been told/read that "Commercial" or "Market" grading done by the TPGS is an attempt to put a value on the coin they grade. Can you add something or is net grading actually the same as commercial grading. See why I'm posting my question? I don't wish to look silly to the club.

@Jimnight said: "As a hypothetical example- If a Morgan dollar has a MS65 technical grade, but has been lightly cleaned but not harsh enough for details grade- how many points would typically be deducted for the net grade if there are no other distracting blemishes on coin."

Actually, I learned all about "technical" grading from the person who devised that system in 1973 at ANACS in Washington. There is no such thing as a cleaned coin technically graded MS-65! Nevertheless, I think you are saying that the coin looks like an MS-65 but it is cleaned. Therefore it is not worth MS-65 money. That's why the coin is assigned a lower MS grade? Now I'm confused again. Sorry! :( What is the difference between an Uncirculated coin given a lower MS grade due to cleaning and one that is graded Uncirculated "details" Cleaned? I

@BillDugan1959 said: "It's used for a slight problem coin that belongs to somebody important so it needs to be whitewashed somehow, someway for the consumption of the hoi polloi."

I like your "net" example but wish you had used a coin. Otherwise, what you have claimed is that the major TPGS's grade coins differently depending on who sends it in.

@RogerB said: "To me, "grade" and "value" are completely different, and no coin should be graded differently based on any assumption of value.

You old dinosaur, that's exactly why true technical was used at ANACS for internal documentation of the coins. As long as the coin remained in the same condition of preservation it's technical grade would NEVER change. The value of the coin, its rarity, its owner, etc. had no effect on its condition of preservation! Grade the coin based on the condition it was when it left the coin press: 1884-O Gem Unc, Flat Strike and let the market determine what it is worth. Unfortunately, that was too easy. :)

• Options

Can a coin be net graded higher than its actual condition?

• Options

@Insider2 said:

No

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

i always thought it meant, for example, if that the obv is a 65 and the rev is a 63, the coin would be net graded the lower number or 63.

• Options

Now, I'm really confused! I want to know if a coin can be net graded higher than its actual condition?

@BillJones said: "No."

@BryceM has a coin that is technically an AU58 graded MS-62. He thinks that the graders probably figured its actual value at closer to an MS62 coin...... so that's the holder they put it in.

Should I tell the club that "net" grading can go both ways? :)

• Options

@lusterlover said: "i always thought it meant, for example, if that the obv is a 65 and the rev is a 63, the coin would be net graded the lower number or 63."

I think that is just normal grading as the reverse is not the important side but it can hurt the overall grade.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

The marketplace will add a point or two for very attractive toning. I disagree with this practice but it's the reality of the marketplace.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Now, I'm really confused! I want to know if a coin can be net graded higher than its actual condition?

@BillJones said: "No."

@BryceM has a coin that is technically an AU58 graded MS-62. He thinks that the graders probably figured its actual value at closer to an MS62 coin...... so that's the holder they put it in.

Should I tell the club that "net" grading can go both ways? :)

Yes, you are correct about that. That is a case of market grading as opposed to technical grading.

I am not totally against the market grading concept if the coin has great eye appeal. Over the years I’ve come to believe that a little rub is a less sin than hacked up, bagged up surfaces. This especially applies to the grading of low end Mint State double eagles. Some of the so-called MS-61 pieces are ugly as marsh mud.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @messydesk said: "It is an attempt to establish a grade that reflects the market value of a piece."

This is a little confusing. I think your post is the definition of "COMMERCIAL" grading: "It is an attempt to establish a grade that reflects the market value of a piece." I am looking for a difference - if there is one. I've been told/read that "Commercial" or "Market" grading done by the TPGS is an attempt to put a value on the coin they grade. Can you add something or is net grading actually the same as commercial grading. See why I'm posting my question? I don't wish to look silly to the club.

I agree that it's the definition of commercial grading, but since that's how net grading is typically used, either when citing problems by saying something like "AU cleaned, net XF," or silently adjusting for them by assigning a grade of VF to an XF with a minor quibble somewhere, we mostly have a distinction without a difference.

A big problem with arriving at net grades, whether it is for valuation purposes or trying to rank, for example, a lightly corroded piece against a lightly hairlined piece, is the dimensionality of the "problem" space is pretty big. Being cleaned, corroded, bent, scratched, hairlined, holed, tooled, and artificially colored are each dimensions in the assessment of a coin's problems. This 8-dimensional parameter set must somehow be translated into a single number for arriving at a net grade. A non-problem circulated coin, on the other hand, has only one parameter -- wear, which maps directly to the one-dimensional grade. The easiest way to crunch these 8 dimensions into one is through the value penalty the marketplace assigns to them.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply put, a net graded coin is a coin which has a problem not deemed severe enough by a TPG to be bodybagged, so its technical grade is reduced to reflect this problem. This makes the coin "market acceptable" to many in the hobby.
    It could be funky color on a Bust Dollar, hairlines on a proof coin, unattractive color on an uncirculated Liberty Nickel, etc.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2017 1:22PM

Well sometimes a coin frightens the graders so badly they place nets over their heads for protection ;):p

:D

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a grader go's fishing and wishes he had a net.... :)

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    Well sometimes a coin frightens the graders so badly they place nets over their heads for protection ;):p

:D

Well, if we are defining grading by what the grader has on their head.....I personally do "Bi-focal Grading". It's not as good as regular grading, but it's the best you're going to get out of me. ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options

Thanks everyone and PLEASE KEEP POSTING your opinions. There is a lot here for me to absorb and I have several questions.

It appears that most are confused about technical grading. That is not done anymore so I'll assume everyone is writing that while the condition of a coin is "technically"...

I'm still trying to find the difference between commercial grading (value) and net grading (value) so it appears they are both the same and a coin can be upgraded or downgraded using both net grading or commercial grading. I may need to beg out of the talk if I cannot make more sense out of this.

Are their any EAC members here. AFAIK copper can only be "net" graded down and that is also to put a value on the coin. One other thing I'll need to know:

If a person is not an experienced, professional coin dealer, how do they put a value on a coin or decide how much to lower a coin's grade (net grading)?

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

AKA:
    market grading

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said: "AKA: market grading."

So, net grading is Market grading. That means the TPGS's net grade every coin they see? I cannot believe that is true. Color me stupid but I thought net grading was an entirely different operation. Can there be two types of net grading? While each puts a value on a coin, one "net" grade can go up or down. The other (used for copper) can only go down?

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @Treashunt said: "AKA: market grading."

So, net grading is Market grading. That means the TPGS's net grade every coin they see? I cannot believe that is true. Color me stupid but I thought net grading was an entirely different operation. Can there be two types of net grading? While each puts a value on a coin, one "net" grade can go up or down. The other (used for copper) can only go down?

I kind of agree that ALL grading is net grading, really.

If we assume every coin was the "best it was ever going to be" at the moment it was struck, everything that happens to it after that is deducted from that original "max grade". (Or in the case of color/toning, added).

Bag marks: Knock it down a grade or two....
    Dipped: Knock it down some more for impaired luster...
    Spent a week in someone pocket: Now it's an AU....
    Someone drilled a hole in it?: Now it's an AU, holed, net VF.

The issue becomes, (as you mention a few posts back), "What are the rules? How much does each new impairment affect the grade?"

For coins that are "non-problem", (as defined by the current market), the Sheldon Scale, which evolved further over time, and was taught to us by the ANA grading guide, and modified by the TPG's, does a pretty good job of defining the basic parameters. Two people might disagree, but few would call a VF coin an AU, or vice versa.

True problem coins, on the other hand, really don't have a defined scale. Is harsh cleaning better or worse than a hole? Is a hole better or worse than corrosion? I don't know.....

In the end, everyone makes their own choices. Given a tray full of AU-53 coins, some will appeal to you, some will make you gag. And it's almost guaranteed that the same ones won't do the same thing for me....

So, maybe the key is to view "Net Grading" as part of grading in general, and not as a separate topic at all?

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO this is one of, maybe the most, informative threads that I can remember. Much better than that "1964 special strike penny" nonsense. EGADS! I was beginning to lose all hope. Thanks, insider2.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2017 2:29PM

No, I have an MS65 coin that was net graded down to a 62 for a bit of rub so minute that it did not knock the coin out of the realm of MS grades. (Tongue-in-cheek)

Yes, probably the term “net grading” in its purest form is probably along the lines of EAC grading. The example I gave is probably more correctly termed market grading.

I got a laugh out of those of you who referenced grading standards. Truly, such a thing does not exist.

• Options

@Hydrant said: "IMO this is one of, maybe the most, informative threads that I can remember. Much better than that "1964 special strike penny" nonsense. EGADS! I was beginning to lose all hope."

If you get the "right" instructors, this stuff goes on in class, at meals, and after hours under the stars at the ANA Summer Seminar. I've been a few times. Highly recommended. B)

• Options

At least I can say this about net grading. It beats the devil out of the old days when a really rare and genuine coin did not exist so far as the leading third party graders were concerned. Back in the body bag days, you could have had a problem 1808 Quarter Eagle that could not be graded despite the fact that it was worth a 5 figure amount.

• Options

@BillJones said: "At least I can say this about net grading. It beats the devil out of the old days when a really rare and genuine coin did not exist so far as the leading third party graders were concerned. Back in the body bag days, you could have had a problem 1808 Quarter Eagle that could not be graded despite the fact that it was worth a 5 figure amount."

Thanks Bill but you've confused me even more with your post. :(

AFAIK, in the "old days" (body bags), coins were returned ungraded. That is neither "net grading" nor "detail grading." Thus, I don't understand your post. :(

Today, the TPGS "detail" grade coins. As I understand, this means the TPGS assigns the actual wear grade (NOT A NET GRADE) and then identifies the problem. I certainly don't know as much about the workings of the TPGS as you must as I rarely send coins for grading; however, please comment on this: A detail grade is the same grade the coin should receive if it had no problem.

Are coin's with problems that are "detailed" by the services also knocked down (net) a grade too.

If you are a member of the EAC, do you know if the copper collectors do this?

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here might be an example of net up-grading. When I first posted this, many here thought it was 63 material(a bit harsh perhaps), generous at 64. I think the clean fields and good eye appeal gave it the push to a 65 grade.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

Insider, there are most certainly technical grading standards. Unfortunately, they are now often used as a starting point, rather than a foundation.

If you want to know the value of a coin, look at the most recent auction sales data available for a particular coin in a particular grade, and you can figure it out. Re thinly graded material, it's worth what a particular individual is willing to pay for it on a given day.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2017 3:36PM

AFAIK, in the "old days" (body bags), coins were returned ungraded. That is neither "net grading" nor "detail grading." Thus, I don't understand your post. :(

I’ll clarify.

In the old days you got your coin back in a flip (a.k.a. “body bag”) with a slip that was the size of a slab insert that said why the coin had been rejected. You might have used that to prove that the coin was genuine, but I have almost never seen that done. Hence the grading service, in essence, made your $10,000+ coin seem like it didn’t exist so far as they were concerned. In other words, you got nothing for your money from a body bag.

Now you get a details slab grade that confirms that the coin is genuine. That can be something of value. When you see a 1796 Quarter in a "details" holder, you know that the grading service says that it is genuine and not made in China.

If you are a member of the EAC, do you know if the copper collectors do this?

Yes, they do it all the time, and they have to do it because only a small number of early copper coins avoid net grading. You should join EAC and get a copy of the annual auction sale catalog. Virtually nothing gets a totally straight grade.

• Options

@Elcontador said: "Insider, there are most certainly technical grading standards. Unfortunately, they are now often used as a starting point, rather than a foundation."

Perhaps you can tell me and others on this thread exactly where you found the "Technical" grading system standards.

This is what I can say for sure. "TRUE" technical grading died out at the first TPGS (INSAB) around 1987 or 88. The grading practiced at the second TPGS - ANACS was NOT TECHNICAL GRADING as they didn't have a clue! Although they claimed to use technical grading they invented their own system. Note that True technical grading is an archival system. What happened at ANACS when all their MS-65's became MS-63's to get in line with the "commercial grading" (VALUE BASED) going on in the coin market proves they got it wrong. :(

Our host came along because INSAB and ANACS were not market based. INS eventually went out of business and ANACS became second rate. A place they will always hold.

@Elcontador wrote: "If you want to know the value of a coin, look at the most recent auction sales data available for a particular coin in a particular grade, and you can figure it out. Re thinly graded material, it's worth what a particular individual is willing to pay for it on a given day."

Thanks for the advice but I don't think it is that easy. if I understand you, I have a coin that I think grades MS-65. I look up the value of a 65 and that tells me that my coin is graded correctly? Or, do I look up the price of a MS-65 coin and then decide if my coin is worth that much? I have heard how hard it is to grade from photos too; however I do use the PCGS grading images.

AFAIK, it takes lots of time and study to pick up a coin and put a value on it. How much do I net grade it. How much do I add for color? If grading were easy, we would not need TPGS or it they were still around we could all be professional graders and make some big $$$,$$$! :wink:

• Options
    edited November 28, 2017 4:30PM

THANKS BILL, you have a lot of patience. :)

@BillJones said: That copper collectors net grade. "...Yes, they do it all the time, and they have to do it because only a small number of early copper coins avoid net grading. You should join EAC and get a copy of the annual auction sale catalog. Virtually nothing gets a totally straight grade. "

Actually, I became a member of EAC decades ago. I only lasted one year as their publication was way too advanced for me and of very limited use to a "generalist" collector. :( Perhaps if I were a numismatic genius...

I still need to study this thread but what may have been said is very confusing:

So far, net grading is the same as market grading except it is not used for detail graded coins. Net grading puts a value on a coin just as market grading does. If most large cents are net graded, how do I know when a "straight graded" TPGS slab containing a non-copper coin is net graded? I guess it would help to be an ex-coin dealer so I could tell by the actual worth of the coin.

I do know this is true. EAC standards are not used by the TPGS to grade copper. That seems silly to me. So a very tiny group of collectors broke away from the industry standards or did the industry and TPGS's break away from the EAC. More confusion for all of us. I once posted that I believe this "Net" grading crap was a "folly." So far, nothing in this discussion has changed my mind.

I think this subject belongs in an EAC meeting with the copper experts but I guess they don't need to discuss it as you informed me that almost all copper is net graded. Perhaps, this net grading thing is much too complicated to discuss at a coin club. :(

HELP!

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2017 4:37PM

Net grading is mostly used as click-bait on eBay.

LQQK! Unc early dollar!...click...Unc details, net VF.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look at it as a coin that if it did not have any problem it will get a straight grade, But that's just me dumb Type2.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2017 6:49PM

edited to add: Having read the preceding post, WD, @WDP

My opinion having been directly solicited by the OP, I suggest he flog flag himself for self-abuse. ;)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

@Insider2 said:
    @Elcontador said: "Insider, there are most certainly technical grading standards. Unfortunately, they are now often used as a starting point, rather than a foundation."

Perhaps you can tell me and others on this thread exactly where you found the "Technical" grading system standards.

This is what I can say for sure. "TRUE" technical grading died out at the first TPGS (INSAB) around 1987 or 88. The grading practiced at the second TPGS - ANACS was NOT TECHNICAL GRADING as they didn't have a clue! Although they claimed to use technical grading they invented their own system. Note that True technical grading is an archival system. What happened at ANACS when all their MS-65's became MS-63's to get in line with the "commercial grading" (VALUE BASED) going on in the coin market proves they got it wrong. :(

Our host came along because INSAB and ANACS were not market based. INS eventually went out of business and ANACS became second rate. A place they will always hold.

@Elcontador wrote: "If you want to know the value of a coin, look at the most recent auction sales data available for a particular coin in a particular grade, and you can figure it out. Re thinly graded material, it's worth what a particular individual is willing to pay for it on a given day."

Thanks for the advice but I don't think it is that easy. if I understand you, I have a coin that I think grades MS-65. I look up the value of a 65 and that tells me that my coin is graded correctly? Or, do I look up the price of a MS-65 coin and then decide if my coin is worth that much? I have heard how hard it is to grade from photos too; however I do use the PCGS grading images.

AFAIK, it takes lots of time and study to pick up a coin and put a value on it. How much do I net grade it. How much do I add for color? If grading were easy, we would not need TPGS or it they were still around we could all be professional graders and make some big $$$,$$$! :wink:

You are making this matter needlessly complicated. Get Scott Travers' grading book written in the mid 1990s. There are your technical standards. They are a starting point. If you don't agree with the grade of a particular coin per its plastic, don't buy it. I don't like 80-90% of the coins I see for this reason.

Unfortunately, these standards have become fluid for most coin denominations in the higher grades, so you need to know what, for example an MS 66 Barber Dime should look like. You will often find what you think are MS 65 Barber Dimes in MS 66 holders, or an MS 66 Barber Dime priced midway or closer to MS 67 money. You don't buy them. Simple.

As I wrote before, a net graded coin is one with a problem that the TPGs believe to be too nice to be bodybagged, so they ding it a grade or two, per my earlier examples.

Recent auction results provide a guideline re the worth of a particular coin in a particular grade. What is your particular coin worth? I have no idea. As you pointed out, you can't grade accurately from photos, but the auction results will give you a guideline. Unless you have a liner coin or it has exceptional eye appeal for the grade, expect to get on the lower end of the auction pricing for it: you're probably not selling to an end user and the buyer has to make some money on the coin.

PCGS coin facts images can be helpful in providing examples of how recently graded coins appear. But they are just images.

Unless you are looking at pre 1835 material, Capped Bust Halves or some kinds of gold, if you know a series well, grading shouldn't be all that difficult for most classic coinage.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2017 7:22PM

@WDP

Thank you for taking the time to post! I'll echo @Hydrant.

This is one of the most informative posts I can remember. I'm sure most on this thread will agree. Now, I have some reading to absorb. I'm going to have some difficult questions after I read your post. I hope you and others stick around and continue to post in this thread before I return.

For example: Right off when I read that "...EAC grading is an approach that is more conservative in general than market-grading or slab-grading," the first thought that comes to my mind is:

What is the difference with market acceptable grading (TPGS's, all the major grading guides, and the majority of collectors), conservative grading, and silly, inaccurate grading by an ignorant (uninformed, uneducated) collector or dealer?

I'm not trying to change EAC standards. I actually learned to grade coins in the late 1960's using the Sheldon System as printed in Penny Whimsy. I quote from that book for others reading this: "Every early cent has a character of its own. Incidentally, Sheldon mentions an example of "Gradflation" taking place even back then! What I failed to find anywhere in that book - the bible for early cents and how to grade them - was any mention of NET GRADING.

I've been told that coin grading has evolved and continues to evolve even today. So, I'm going to guess that sometime in the past a Large cent collector or dealer (Robinson?) came up with a new grading system. Unfortunately, to my mind when a person tries to combine everything about a coin into one grade we are left with nothing but confusion. Using your example, an EAC specialist grades a coin with an AU amount of detail left as an XF because it has no luster. Now, if I see an EAC graded XF without a photo I'll have absolutely no idea what it will look like! Using net grading, I'll bet I can get that AU copper coin down to VF! Some scratches, rim problems, a scuzzy surface, am I correct? Now send me the coin and surprise me. I say folly. I was taught that coins were graded in the "Old Days" (before even Sheldon) so they could be described to another collector who could not see them.

Anyway, thanks for the marvelous post. I'll be reading it and coming up with more questions. That's all for now. :)

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @lusterlover said: "i always thought it meant, for example, if that the obv is a 65 and the rev is a 63, the coin would be net graded the lower number or 63."

I think that is just normal grading as the reverse is not the important side but it can hurt the overall grade.

Going higher is market grading
    Going lower is net grading

from PCGS grading guide

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The above quote "Copper" only works if one accepts an unprovable assumption about "uncirculated."

Friction, rub, wear are all the same thing and it does not matter how they occurred. To claim that a coin with visible wear is somehow "uncirculated" is nonsense - that the coin did not circulate in some manner can never be established. Therefore the premise is invalid and any conclusion is spurious.

Lots of double eagles repatriated from Europe have obvious wear - from circulating among banks and counting rooms. But by the quoted section, they can be called and "graded" as "uncirculated."

The "market" can only determine price/value -- never condition.

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's an example of what I believe to be a "net-graded" coin. It's in a PCGS XF-40 holder, but clearly the coin's level and wear and strike confer a higher, at least XF-45 grade. If the coin was a Philly mint product, it would most likely be in a details/scratched/damaged holder, but it was minted in Dahlonega, and so despite the obvious scratches, it's in a straight, albeit lower-graded holder.

'dude

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

This is the coin I was referring to earlier. It's in a PCGS MS62 holder:

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread. Very informative.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rare high quality coins, potential paradigms can be created with a form of net grading.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file