Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

a surprise in my ungraded So-Called Dollars

When I began collecting SCD's I bought many raw medals, entered them in my database and generally let these medals accumulate. while sorting them I found two similar AYPE Manufacturing Bldg, HK-368 medals, one in better state than the other. Then I looked closer...One is different. I have a HK-368B SCD. here is a site which shows the HK-368B: www.tipsicocoin.com/browse_item.html?category_id=3134&item_id=3413.

Happy Thanksgiving All!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always nice to find a 'surprise' in one's collections.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2017 2:18PM

That's very interesting! HK-368b isn't in the 2nd edition so I wonder what is needed to make that official? Perhaps NGC would certify it as HK-368b like they did for HK-902a?

Here's your page linkified!

Given this is new discovery, here's the info. Anyone know when Jeff's book "So-Called Dollars of the West Coast Expositions" will be out?

http://www.tipsicocoin.com/browse_item.html?category_id=3134&item_id=3413

HK-368 Variety, 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific "Manufactures Building" Variety

Year: 1909
    Condition: Gem BU

(SOLD May, 2014 to Jeff Shevlin. This variety should be included in his upcoming book on So-Called Dollars of the West Coast Expositions; the listing was left posted for its information value.) 1909 AYP "Manufactures Building" Dollar, Gem BU. Just about perfect other than a stain on the Reverse where the underlying Brass of the planchet bled through the gilt. This is an apparent variety with a slightly different Obverse than HK368 as shown - the three figures on the Obv. are a bit cruder and "heavier" (hard to describe, but if you know the series, you can tell). The Reverse appears to be identical to HK368a, except "Manufactures" is NOT mis-spelled. My guess is that this is an early strike off the HK-368a Rev. die before the bottom serif of the "E" broke. For convenience sake, I will call this "HK-368b".

• Options
    1patwick1patwick Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

I count six distinct differences in the two medals, one is the reverse is upside down as a coin, when turning the medal over from the side, rather than the top.
    I rate my medal AU from a partial finger print on the obverse and reverse. At this point, I could care less for perfection. I bought it as an upgrade for the HK-368. I also have a raw HK-368a in my collection - dumb luck on E bay. Next year I'll join PCGS and begin to get my collection graded.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2017 6:37PM

If you want custom designations not in HK 2nd ed, like HK-368b here, it may be worth checking with PCGS on whether they will do those.

It would be interesting to assemble suggested HK numbers for a 3rd edition. I imagine ATS may be working with the owners of the 2nd edition on this HK-902a and the like.

@tmot99 Any thoughts on a HK 3rd edition and adding additional HK numbers such as HK-902a used by ATS and HK-368b here?

• Options

I've been in-touch with the "Unlisted So-Called Dollar" author concerning my HK-356a BN, and it's brown hue.(He is also a contributor to "SCD's" 2nd Edition) He was quite informative and suggested it may have been stored near bronze and/or copper coins. I'm a numb skull in metallurgy and oxidation. I will submit this medal to PGCS for a regrade, as NGC offers no answers.

• Options

Heads up;
    A circulated medal is on sale on E bay.It is listed for $174.99 or best offer. It is not mine! Search:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seattle-1909-Alaska-Yukon-Pacific-Expostion-Manufacturers-Building-Medal-C9/332432723039?hash=item4d6688cc5f:g:RYAAAOSwIQdZGzYr

• Options

@Zoins said:
    That's very interesting! HK-368b isn't in the 2nd edition so I wonder what is needed to make that official? Perhaps NGC would certify it as HK-368b like they did for HK-902a?

Here's your page linkified!

Given this is new discovery, here's the info. Anyone know when Jeff's book "So-Called Dollars of the West Coast Expositions" will be out?

http://www.tipsicocoin.com/browse_item.html?category_id=3134&item_id=3413

HK-368 Variety, 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific "Manufactures Building" Variety

Year: 1909
    Condition: Gem BU

(SOLD May, 2014 to Jeff Shevlin. This variety should be included in his upcoming book on So-Called Dollars of the West Coast Expositions; the listing was left posted for its information value.) 1909 AYP "Manufactures Building" Dollar, Gem BU. Just about perfect other than a stain on the Reverse where the underlying Brass of the planchet bled through the gilt. This is an apparent variety with a slightly different Obverse than HK368 as shown - the three figures on the Obv. are a bit cruder and "heavier" (hard to describe, but if you know the series, you can tell). The Reverse appears to be identical to HK368a, except "Manufactures" is NOT mis-spelled. My guess is that this is an early strike off the HK-368a Rev. die before the bottom serif of the "E" broke. For convenience sake, I will call this "HK-368b".

In researching this medal, I reread John Raymond's So-Called Doller site: http://www.socalleddollar.com
    and specifically:
    http://www.socalleddollar.com/abWorldsFairs.html#73)

He writes of this medal: "The 1st and 2nd editions of HK picture two different varieties of this piece using the same number(HK368). This is the 2nd edition variety. Differences include a semicolon after "Exposition", and dots before and after "Building". This variety might be the rarer. Rare, brass, 34.4mm.

This past weekend I began to organize my raw SCD's. In the process of sorting them I discovered I have two AU medals of the First Edition dollar and one Fine medal of the Second Edition. The picture in the 1st Ed.

I'll be sending these two medals, from the 1st Ed. for grading and upon return I'll offer the duplicate for trade for a graded 2d ed. medal of similar grade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file