Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Numismatic things I'm thankful for... How about you?

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 21, 2017 11:05AM in U.S. Coin Forum

HAPPY THANKGIVING to all of you!

I'm thankful for finding Collectors Universe and starting to post actively a year ago!

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said: "I'm thankful it took you that long >:) "

ME TOO! This posting "thing" takes a lot of time and effort. THANKFULLY, the place I work for wants me to monitor the discussions B) on several forms. I'm learning a lot!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

im thankful for the good smiles and what i have learned here.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thankful for everyone here and PCGS for giving us this forum! This is really one of the best coin "clubs" in terms of diversity of interests and numismatic discussions.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ditto on all of the above. I'm also thankful for the two coin clubs that I belong to and the friendly members there. :)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2017 12:14PM

I agree with @BillJones I started at the right time and picked up some great material. I am thankful for my family, friends, profession and other things that have helped support my passion. Grateful to all the board members and to our host, as well.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thankful that I became interested in coins in the first place.
    But I still don't recall what the catalyst for my interest was.
    No parents, grandparents, friends who collected or had any interest in coins at all.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2017 12:34PM

@mannie gray my dad was a HUGE influence on me. He shares my passion to this day.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Thanksgiving everybody! :)

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am grateful to the internet and slabbing (beginning in 1985) that have made so much knowledge available to everyone who seeks it out

As a young collector, I rarely received any guidance or insight on grading from dealers, and as a result AU coins were often sold as choice uncs, whizzed coins were sold without any disclosure, etc, and there seemed to be little incentive to educate buyers.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I am thankful for the many people who have taught me things, whether it be in person or on these forums.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thankful for Adolph Weinman. Without him the Beautiful Little Ladies would not be around. Thanks to all of the Nice People around here also.

Ken

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am thankful that they are still cranking out the five volume Standard Catalogs of World Coins series. I don't understand how they can sell the set so Inexpensively and keep on going.

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:

I would never have imagined that I could lose that much money :s and still have so much fun B)
    "The Road of Excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom."

Blake never disappoints.

I'm thankful that there are still numismatic mysteries waiting to be solved.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    @mannie gray my dad was a HUGE influence on me. He shares my passion to this day

That is great, and I think might soothe stresses of the "generation-gap."

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thankful for the honest, respectable collector and dealer friends that I have made over the years.

Tom

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thankful for most of our forum members and thankful for the amount of 'inside information' that can be had here.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a great forum with great people who know their stuff. I'm thankful for that.
    Have a great thanksgiving day.
    Jim.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2017 2:39PM

I am thankful for my wife who tolerates my coin collecting hobby and who doesn't ask too many questions when I buy coins. ;):p

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thankful for my health, family and the wealth of knowledge that is offered here.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2017 4:23PM

I am thankful that I have finally started to shake myself of the feeling that I need to buy every single new hyped-up Mint product. I probably still buy too many, but it is a great feeling when I can let one go by and not feel guilty about it. I found out that life does go on even if I skip a hot new offering.

Now I need to focus on weaning myself off of Vatican City coin issues. I got on their waiting list when the new euro coins came out in 2002, and finally got the Pope's blessing to start ordering coins a couple years later. The earlier issues were guaranteed money makers (not that I have ever sold any) but I am not sure if that still holds true now. They do make some nice coins, but I am trying to draw the line on what I order. It gets tough to say "no" to anything when you send your order in and have to make the check out to "God".

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2017 4:48PM

@JBK said:
    It gets tough to say "no" to anything when you...... have to make the check out to "God".

This is not a CAC thread o:)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2017 8:08PM

Thankful for:

• A n interesting job that leaves me with enough income for hobbies.
    • Good people who make this and many other hobbies fun & meaningful.
    • Good enough eyesight to enjoy an intensely visual hobby.
    • A wife who lets me buy coins anyway.
    • People who have guarded, hoarded, and protected these coins we enjoy for many, many generations.
    • Forward thinking founding fathers who set in motion the great Liberties that we enjoy today.
    • All of you here who have saved me from ignorance and who have shared so many fascinating things of which I would otherwise have no knowledge.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy thanksgiving to all of you good folks.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thankful for many things. In terms of collecting, I'm thankful for the incredible information I learn weekly while on this forum. It's truly an amazing environment to share information. There's nothing like it on the web, frankly. I was shocked the first time I stumbled across it 15+ years ago.

Thanks everyone, and thanks PCGS!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thankful for the folks on this forum and the forum itself. The hobby wouldn't be fun if you couldn't share photos and exchange knowledge and ideas.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thankful we have a place like this to chat with friends.

Larry

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the laughs, a few tears, and especially for those who share their passion and knowledge here. I have a few heroes who will go unnamed. (Your egos are large enough).

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

In an age of transparency and free information, the top people in the hobby and their collectibles are visible to others, hopefully without jealousy or envy.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Thanksgiving to all forum members. I am thankful for a hobby to fill the time between my other hobbies... or are the other hobbies filling the time when I am not working on coins (or this forum). Well, makes no difference... I am thankful I have so many interesting things to do, the energy and mental capacity to enjoy them, and friends to do them with. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

For this forum, which allows me an opportunity to learn and share.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file