Home U.S. Coin Forum

1 Cent lincoln 1943,This is Real?

Comments

• YUNIQUEYUNIQUE Posts: 56
    edited November 21, 2017 9:23AM

FredWeinberg# Thank you verymuch for the answer.

• KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, fake.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse doesn't look right to me.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

What, that's it?! No defiant push back? That was too easy....

@YUNIQUE seems to be someone who wants to leverage (and respect) the experts' opinions. It is nice for a change. Keep on posting, because whether or not people want to admit it, many of us learn a thing or two from these sorts of questions.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

that looks bad right from the get go. i dont like the reverse either.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YUNIQUE ...
    A simple test that many 1943 "copper" cents fail is a magnetic test. Try it with yours. Place the coin next to a magnet to see if it's attracted. A copper plated steel cent will be attracted and thus indicate it's an altered coin.

If not attracted to a magnet, it may be a struck (or cast) counterfeit. These are less common, but still are known.

I can't tell from the image, but if @FredWeinberg says it's not real ... then it's not real.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no way that piece is good. The strike on a genuine 1943 copper cent should be very sharp. The dies were set to strike steel, not copper, and the impression should be strong with no weaknesses.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • JBK# Respect to your comment and the support sir.KellenCoin, johnny9434,astrorat, BillJones# Thank for the comments.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely not authentic.... That being said, it is certainly worth asking.... if it were real... WOWZERS!!... Cheers, RickO

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Zoins.......................you might like this one:

And this is the "Real Steel"....

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2018 5:46PM

The color alone should make you run.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a nice steel coin dipped in copper. You can see the steel coming through the coin at the top of the head on the observe. Nice Penny but not a Copper planchette. Keep looking @YUNIQUE and if your still not sure our host will take a look, just mail it in and the will verify what you have. Happy Hunting.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YUNIQUE said:

It is "real," but NOT genuine.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a steel penny I found the other day.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the start of a "Spiked Head" coming off the base of the W.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file