Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Those QA CAC Like Stickers

labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 19, 2017 5:44PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just curious of others' experiences with coins having the QA Sticker. I've bought several (Roosies) having the sticker and have been disappointed with each. In fact, one was so marked I'm surprised it received the 67+FB grade from our host.

Is this QA thing a gimmick?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is James Sego's enterprise.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2017 4:52PM

@lablover said:

Is this QA thing a gimmick?

Not any more than CAC, wings, etc.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I understand, QA will consider "modern" coins, CAC, not so much.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

James is sincere and serious about providing professional service in viewing the modern coins (that CAC
    doesn't do) and rendering his opinion whether the coin merits the grade. IMHO, QA coins are solid for the grade.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 1 Roosie with a QA sticker. It is a 1996-W PCGS MS68FB and is quite solid for the grade. I would love to send it in for the free TV this quarter, but would really like to keep the sticker since it's my only one.
    James, if you read this, do you have any thoughts...

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cupronik said:
    James is sincere and serious about providing professional service in viewing the modern coins (that CAC
    doesn't do) and rendering his opinion whether the coin merits the grade. IMHO, QA coins are solid for the grade.

Does QA support their opinion with bids to buy the coins at the stickered grade?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had signed up and submitted coins twice to James; mostly Roosevelts. It was a good learning experience on coin selection.

Sorry to hear you were unhappy with the stickered coins you bought. I have bought two Qa coins at shows and am very happy with both. Honestly, I would have bought them without a sticker.

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

As I understand, the QA only refers to toning not grade.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options

Grading Criteria
    QA✓ views coins in 4 categories -
    Superlative Coins

These coins comprise less than 1% of all coins. They are exceptional in one or more of the following ways:

Color – Coins that exhibit exceptional iridescent rainbow colors that are top tier for the coin type. Silver and Copper tone much easier than Clad, so a top tier toned clad coin, may not have the same top tier color as a Silver or Copper coin. Typically Gold and Platinum do not tone.

Cameo Contrast – For many modern cameo proofs, the level of cameo contrast can vary significantly, particularly on coins minted prior to 1978. For a coin to fall into this category, the contrast must be in the top 1% of similar coins of the same date. The coin must also be evenly matched (or very close) from obverse to reverse.

Strike/Luster - Many modern coins are always well struck with superb luster. Those coins will never fall into this category. Coins that typically are not fully struck or lack superior luster but which are fully struck or have superior luster can fall into this category.

QA✓ will sticker these coins with the very selective Gold Sticker.

Solid Quality Coins

These are coins that have no obvious issues for the assigned grade. QA✓ will sticker solid quality coins with the Platinum Sticker. Factors that would preclude a coin from receiving the QA✓ sticker include carbon spots, unattractive toning, fingerprints, below average strike for the coin type, and similar issues.

Accurately Graded Coins

These are coins that are accurately graded but are not viewed as solid for the grade. Problems described above may be present along with other potentially distracting marks. Coins that fall in this category will not receive a QA✓ sticker.

Below Average Coins

These are coins that are over graded or have particularly egregious problems for the assigned grades. In many cases, coins have developed problems after the coins were graded, due to improper storage or other environmental factors, fall into this category. QA✓ will not sticker coins that fall in this category.

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The few QA stickered coins that I have seen, appeared to be very nice and - when reviewing the sticker criteria - seemed to fit. I am not a sticker collector, but respect Eagle Eye and CAC stickers.... have not seen enough QA material to authoritatively opine either way. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    This is James Sego's enterprise.

mark

Wow, I did not know James was involved. He's one of the good guy's in the profession, and I did not intend to cast any cloud on the service. Just am, or was not very familiar with the QA Sticker. Have done business with James at some shows and he's always been fair and very helpful.

Thanks to all for the comments...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

John Albanese has thick skin. I'm sure James is the same

m

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

CAC,QUACK,Maybe soon JACK! There will always be better coins in the same certified grade. Does an experienced collector really need a sticker to tell them if the coin is solid for the grade? Just like with the TPG's I see around the same percentage of stickered coins I do not agree with!(some I don't even think should get a pass at the TPG!) Everyone has their own opinion but a Leech is a Leech! Yeah...I'm not a fan of the sticker craze!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

Maybe so, but many Albanese's minions have very thin skins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well! It wasn't thick enough to stop him from disagreeing with me! :#

@Justacommeman said:

m

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file