Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

residing in Canada, where would you have over 200 High Grade Canadian Queen Victoria Coins Graded?

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 18, 2017 9:21AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Coins are anywhere from a couple scarce varieties in about VF up to hopefully MS 62 to MS 66 or even 67.
Any input is much appreciated.
thanks everyone

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

residing in Canada, where would you have over 200 High Grade Canadian Queen Victoria Coins Graded?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    other

ICCS

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

How difficult would it be to ship the coins from Canada to the USA and have them returned to you?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS

I would send them to PCGS. I believe that ICCS should (in my opinion) have the Canadian numismatic market in their back pocket, but has lost that opportunity and allowed other services to gain valuable traction. Among those other services, PCGS appears to have the greatest footprint and possibly greatest long-term viability, liquidity and value addition/retention.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS

@MrEureka said:
    How difficult would it be to ship the coins from Canada to the USA and have them returned to you?

Not difficult, but then again I have never shipped a 200-coin order before.

• Options
    RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

ICCS still, I think

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS

ICCS will co-certify a PCGS or NGC graded coin. I’d go with PCGS and if needed you can have ICCS also grade them and they will affix a label to the pcgs holder. No lose with the pcgs route.

• Options
    PCGS

I'm sure ICCS has its merits, like grading consistency, but I never understood why anyone would want to house their collections in plastic flips that gradually become less transparent over time.

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    ICCS will co-certify a PCGS or NGC graded coin. I’d go with PCGS and if needed you can have ICCS also grade them and they will affix a label to the pcgs holder. No lose with the pcgs route.

Ok, that is a great way IF you have "exceptional deep" pockets.

All good points, thank you.
    but looking at well over 200 coins, I think I will have to do some selecting considering costs and in a way convenience.
    if I go PCGS route, it will be an expensive undertaking. if I go ICCS, each will cost about USD 6 to grade and certify.
    Pcgs will be considerably more and I believe I have to use an agent? The coins are all Canadian and mostly Queen Victoria.
    I could also consider CCCS, another Canadian TPG who uses hard slabs.
    Or, I need to seriously separate the hay from the straw and do split submissions, very good stuff to PCGS and average or just above to ICCS. A hard decision. Or use the deciding criteria based on what I wish to keep and what I wish to sell or trade.

• Options
    rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    other

If you want a higher grade go PCGS, ICCS is a lot tougher on their grading !!

• Options
    edited November 22, 2017 8:12AM

shipping would be a bit of a problem. one would want to be on customs right side both ways.
    It would be worth it to make a cross border trip personally to ship and to receive back to an US address. It would not be a huge problem. I would not trust the mail on either side as such a shipment would have to be accompanied by a list of the contents I assume. And that could attract some unwanted attention.

• Options
    PCGS

I think it's best to understand your reasons for getting the collection certified.

• Options

top stuff will be keepers. others will be to trade or sell.
    thanks
    H

• Options
    PCGS

In that case I would recommend sending your top coins to the TPG you prefer and others to the TPG your target market does.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they're all the same type, or at least 100 are the same type, look into whether or not it's possible to do a bulk PCGS submission through a dealer. Of course, I don't know off the top of my head if PCGS offers a non-US bulk tier.

• Options

Thank you everyone so far.

the coins are multiples of Canada , Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick
    large cents , small cents, 5 cents silver and nickel, 10 cents, 20 cents, 25 cents, 50 cents and a 1/2 doz Silver dollars .
    from 1858 to 1967. many of them are very rare varieties and a few are errors. example: 1885 dime is actually dated as a 1385 dime.. how did it happen? maybe grease filled die. but it very clearly is a 3 any way you look at it)
    Am not sure if that would rule out US TPGs (Canadian varieties and error coins)

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS

If you have die varieties, especially very minor varieties or pieces that lack broad appeal and/or interest, then you had better make certain PCGS recognizes the varieties in question if you feel strongly enough to submit coins to them. Additionally, you have to make certain the coins are submitted under the appropriate service level and with the variety notations and information on the submission form. Otherwise, you will receive the coins back with no notation on the insert whatsoever about the variety that you feel is important.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson