Home Precious Metals
Options

If you have them, how do you store 1/10 oz AGE's ?

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have them, how do you store your 1/10 oz AGE's ?

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

in aftermarket airtite capsules

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

@derryb I assume you use the 'direct fit' without the foam ??

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    @derryb I assume you use the 'direct fit' without the foam ??

correct

• Options

Thanks for your valued input :smile:

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tube. At least that's how I store 1/4 ounces.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

I like capsules with or without the foam inside, just looks nice like that

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2017 11:53PM

In PCGS Slabs,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have enough raw ones for a tube. I have just over half dozen in PCGS (got a pretty good deal while ago w/ ebay bucks as these weren't in bullion category) and a few raw that I have in flips.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2017 6:32AM

Tubes. If I only start with a partial roll, I'll finish it off at a later date. I try to wait until I have enough dollars saved to purchase a larger number of any gold bullion coin because the accounting cost basis is easier to track and that will be important when the time comes to start selling them.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Self slab... just have a couple.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Stacking gold coins in tubes increases the chance of dings. Individual capsules or flips prevents any further handling damage once the coins are removed from their original mint tube.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stacking gold coins in tubes increases the chance of dings. Individual capsules or flips prevents any further handling damage once the coins are removed from their original mint tube.

If grading is going to be a future consideration, yes. If not, tubes are much more easily stored and transported.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:
    I don't have enough raw ones for a tube.

Once I had 4-5 of them and wanted to move away from flips, I used to use a tube + a few cotton balls.

• Options

@jmski52 said:

If grading is going to be a future consideration, yes. If not, tubes are much more easily stored and transported.

The best of both worlds

• Options

Lot's of info and opinions.thanks :smile:

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

in a PCGS MS70 holder :)

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I put them in the staple-up 2X2s. If I had more than say, 10, I'd just put them in a tube.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one in a PCGS 70 holder, too.

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

Pcgs Slabs, I don't trust myself to spot counterfeits even on moderns

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the thing about the 1/10s....at least, to me.....the premiums are much higher, percentage-wise, than the full ouncers. So, I only buy a few if it makes sense. I just couldn't see me doing a roll (40) or more, due to the premiums.

I have the PCGS MS70 slabbed ones (about 7 I think) because of ebay bucks and catching a good deal that took the premiums off, basically, and there was no "good deal" on the 1 ouncers at the same time.

So, not sure I would ever get up enough of them to store in a tube....not really worth it, though I know some like them as it is "easier" to sell maybe (lesser costs for people)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

Slabbing $5 AGEs greatly increases the premium one has invested in them. With slabbing fees about the same for a $5 AGE and a $50 AGE why not get more bang for your buck by slabbing the $50.

The added premium of slabbing $5 AGEs is in most cases not recovered when it is time to sell.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tube of 50 at a time. Then they get shipped in a capsule, one at a time, typically. They ship and sell that way. They’re fine being stored the same way. They don’t get dinged up sitting there in a stack.

• Options

BU coins going into or out of a tube run the risk of getting dinged. Can't take single coin from the tube without rattling others. Take them all out one time only and put them in direct fit airtites where they remain safe until they find a new owner.

• Options

@jmski52 said:

Your future buyer is also a consideration. I'm sure he's gonna want the best BU he can get.

• Options
    BeeManBeeMan Posts: 361 ✭✭✭

I have been buying one every year since they came out. I keep them in 2x2's with the rest of my collection.

Watch the mirror count the lines
    The battle scars of all the good times
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collectibles go in airtites. Bullion goes in mint tubes, ends stuffed for incomplete rolls.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand the concern that coins in tubes get dinged. And it's nice that some people want to err on the side of caution.

But gold eagles are minted from a surprisingly strong alloy of gold, silver, and copper. They are made to be stored in tubes. Unless you're talking 2 or 3 coins in an otherwise empty tube, and you're keeping them in your glove box, they won't get dinged up. In the unlikely chance that they do...nobody would care. There is no difference between an MS66 1/10th gold eagle and an MS65 1/10th gold eagle.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    Tube. At least that's how I store 1/4 ounces.

Have one original tube each of 1/10, 1/4 and 1/2 in the SDB.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

I throw them in an old cigar box along with my Bitcoins. B)B)

Bob

Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.