Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ever get "too jaded" and buy stuff you ordinarily wouldn't?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a good idea. Must fight urges. :D

Comments

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if I would call it being jaded but I have taken severe right turns in my collecting career when something interesting catches my eye.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am always ready to bid upon a purchase interesting 19th century tokens. I bought a Tom Thumb / P.T. Barnum piece at last night's auction. I have the Barnum museum and one other Tom Thumb piece so this one fits in with the others, but it was far from the top of my list.

I also bid on one of the Diplomatic medals and got my head handed to me.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 6 of my last ten purchases. Errors, tokens and SCD;s mostly.

:#

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently bought 2 OGH PCGS MS64 Morgan Dollars, cracked them out and sent them to PCGS as part of my 8 free grades. It's the first 2 Morgans I've ever owned and I'm 49. Paid $80 each for them.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    I recently bought 2 OGH PCGS MS64 Morgan Dollars, cracked them out and sent them to PCGS as part of my 8 free grades. It's the first 2 Morgans I've ever owned and I'm 49. Paid $80 each for them.

We need an update when you get grades

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

@Stooge said:

We need an update when you get grades

I took some before pictures and I'm having the 8 coins truviewed. I firmly believe that the 2 Morgans were grossly undergraded. JMHO of course. I also sent in 4 Roosies and 2 colorful Silver eagles. I'm very excited about this sub, as I cracked out 6 coins. These are my first 6 crackouts. >:)

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeap, Engelhard bars, pamp gold, Morgan dollars, some odds and ends of 90%. I'd rather collect Lincoln cents but watching the prices keep dropping discourages me. It may sound funny but some of the mid grade Lincolns I think look better than some of the high grade Lincolns. It reminds me of when some folks over use a plastic surgeon and begin to look freakish. I think the same can happen when coins are over played with, they start to look terrible and right now there are a ton of them on the market.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I would not say I am 'jaded', I do collect what attracts me now... no particular series... Just really nice coins that appeal to me - or unique in some way. I enjoy this more than the dedicated search for special coins to add to my sets. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

But we deserve it because well we worked hard and suffered and sacrificed for many years. Jaded no, but guilty yes. In need of therapy at times. LMAO

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

My personal interest in this hobby covers about a bakers dozen different areas.

At times one interest which might have been dormant will move from the stoves back burner to the front again.

That being said I pretty open minded to glance at just about anything which catches my eye.

If by chance it somehow fits my collection in some way I'll purchase it.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't seem to pull the trigger on many new Trade $ buys lately, so I'm going to start buying coins I need for the type set.

Trade $'s

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file