Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A "favorite dealer" question.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does your favorite dealer have a physical location that you are able to go to?? ---or--- Are you only able to see your favorite dealer at shows or buy/sell online??

Thanks in advance.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a B&M storefront....that would be the case for all of my favorite dealers.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

No dealers for me, just coins.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some do, others don’t; but they are all linked by the great equalizer known as eBay.

Just saying that should net me 10% ebucks, right? :D

• Options

:D

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

B&M and normally have a major show presence.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

My top five are my favorite dealers because they have a store front.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Favorite dealer #1 B&m presence which I visit regularly. Stocks whatever walks in the door, and I can sometimes be one of the first shots at something good

Favorite dealer #2 has B&m presence which I have never visited. Sets up at regional shows and has sold me a few nice coins. Prices are "going rate" which is fine for choice coins

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite dealer(s) are all online. I may see them at shows. Otherwise, they inform me of something they think I'm looking for or I spot something on their website, they send it to me on approval, and we negotiate/close the deal. I get good pre-screening as well.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2017 2:57PM

My favorite dealers are those who have the good coins.

Most all have websites and some have physical locations.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see my favorite dealers 3x per year (face-to-face) in Baltimore, and at least on "online"...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only met my favorite dealer one time at a Baltimore show 10 or so years ago. While they have a store front, I only do business with them via internet. I'm not counting my favorite people I buy from on this forum. I've not seen most of them either.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

** I'm not counting my favorite people I buy from on this forum. I've not seen most of them either.**

you need to try to do that, it will be a memorable experience.

• Options
    WmwoodWmwood Posts: 102 ✭✭

All 3 are brick and mortar, love them. Brick and mortar coin shops rule!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no local dealers... so I have dealt with forum members, limited ebay, and a couple of internet sites... no favorites on the net. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has store and is also on Ebay. Close to 30 years of Buying and Selling with him. Was just at his store Monday and sold and bought coins.

Ken

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite dealer has a shop here in town. They also go to the local shows.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ModCrewman said:
    Definitely a B&M storefront....that would be the case for all of my favorite dealers.

+1

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Online dealers are STOMPING eBay.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have not had a B&M around here in about 4 years. My favorite dealers are at shows.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

On-line or at the shows for me. The better term is "favorite dealers" because there are a number of dealers who are on my first see, second see and third to see at the show. There are also the "last to see" and "do not resuscitate" dealers on my list.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2017 6:14PM

My favorite dealer when I started collecting had a B&M I would frequent but not recently. These days, I collect fairly esoteric things and also unfortunately don't have time to spend at B&Ms at the moment. Perhaps in the future I will again.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

None have a store.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

My only local shop closed up some time last year. Went to visit (shop) and the store was empty. My favorite dealer has never had a storefront.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

only at a monthly show

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

my sense from the replies thus far is twofold: the internet is both the cause and the solution for the disappearance of Brick and Mortar storefront Coin Shops. in the economic world of today it is almost unavoidable.

maybe I can use my boss as an example. I first met him in 1987 when he had what I believe was his first B&M, doing coins/jewelry/pawns. the store was small, probably around 1,000 sq. ft. in total. since then he has moved several times and going from small to big to small, back to bigger and smaller to biggest and now to where we are, a little under 5,000 sq. ft. in total, showroom and storage. his largest store(including pawns) was about 20,000 sq. ft. with storage for about 15-40 cars/MC's and other stuff, both inside and outside. at his smallest he did only coins and had about 700 sq. ft. while still doing retail.

you can imagine the overhead with the larger space, not just rent/utilities but also employees, as many as 1-3 full time and 1-2 part time depending on the size. in his smallest space he was a one trick pony.

I can see the owner of even a large scale operation turning away from a storefront. doing things out of your home or a small office space with almost no overhead and the promise of better security and very, very flexible hours would be tempting. in addition to that there is one factor that is inescapable --- without a retail space there is no need for the added stress of dealing with the general public.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

My "favorite" was a dealer that I see once a year at the Central States Show because he represented my series that many dealers and collectors are not that interested in.
    Last April I discovered he was a total jerk and yes, he does have a big online presents because he did nothing but complain how bad the show was and this was 10:30 AM on Thursday (doors open up to the public at 10:00 AM, the first day the public is allowed into the show). He was gone the next morning as usual.
    I will gladly elaborate for anyone that is interested through PM's.

Rant over,
    Ray

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file