Home U.S. Coin Forum

Just purchased "THE DIME" to complete my Mercury Dime Complete Variety Set.......

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 16-D!!!!! It's not the PCGS62 I use to have, but it will fill the hole for now. This is the first low grade 16-D I have ever seen that I liked. They are usually bright and shinney. This baby has "CRUST"! I worked out a deal with HLRC for this little GEM. Some may not like it, but for me it is perfect for the grade. Thanks for looking....comments welcome. :)

Comments

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. You have a good eye for quality.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the looks of that :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice .Honest wear with no major hits.

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

attractive coin--congrats

• OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.
    It seems thousands of AG/G coins exist (many of which are real), but these middle grade coins are tough to come by.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin for the grade. Congrats on completing your set.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Most of the 16d dimes I've seen in lower grades make me say blah, this one is appealing.

Now, serious question... you being the dime guru, does the 16d fall into a special grading circumstance, i.e. Poor strikes, weak dies, etc? Truthfully, my novice eyes said G6 when I first saw the obverse, yet I agree the reverse is VG10.

Example:

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perfect coin!

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesomeness for the dimeman!
    100% complete !! B)
    The original crust looks great.
    My 16d us crusty too, but like yours better than mine

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StrikeOutXXX said:
    Congrats! Most of the 16d dimes I've seen in lower grades make me say blah, this one is appealing.

Now, serious question... you being the dime guru, does the 16d fall into a special grading circumstance, i.e. Poor strikes, weak dies, etc? Truthfully, my novice eyes said G6 when I first saw the obverse, yet I agree the reverse is VG10.

Example:

Some of the obv detail is hard to see because of the crust. We shouldn't argue with JA now! ;):oB)

@Sandman70gt said:
    Awesomeness for the dimeman!
    100% complete !! B)
    The original crust looks great.
    My 16d us crusty too, but like yours better than mine

Hey, I like yours too...thanks! :)

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Some of the obv detail is hard to see because of the crust. We shouldn't argue with JA now! ;):oB)

LOL - Apparently Sandman70gt's has crusted over a lot of OBV detail too.

Not picking on either, this is probably why at Coin Club grading committee, I always get majority voted into the minority LOL.

Nice coins either way.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet! Very nice look for the grade.

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

Great piece, great quality. I used to have a G6 "bright" one, since sold, and when I get one again would love to have one approaching the quality yours has. :)

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's not to love? It's absolutely beautiful!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StrikeOutXXX said:

The 16 and early 17 dimes were struck in higher relief and the wing feathers wear away sooner than the later years.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats!

Frank

BHNC #203

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017 11:00AM

Congratulations on replacing your replaceable MS63 with a cherry circ and loads of other worthwhile pieces that filled in holes more critical to the overall project :D

In 1976, already a pain-in-the-ass to Mercury Dime dealers around throughout the country, I went to Boston for a NERCA auction. Pumped up by a Coin World article about a gem 1916-D sold by B&R breaking the $2,000 barrier, but wanting to get into Type. For overall market mood, @MrEureka or a few curmudgeons might recall if this the same year Bob and Bobby paid over $100,000 for an '04 $1.

Anyway, Jimmy Halperin offered me (IIRC, by today's standards), a '16-D MS-66FB for $2,500. I spent about 30 seconds in consideration before passing. To Jim's semi-sigh and sincere "It's really the best I've seen", I replied "I know (full sigh), but I won't be able to buy another coin for six months" and he "got it".

Within the next six months, I acquired a 18-D FB (now 65+) from NERCG for $240 I sold to David Hall for $5450 in '81, a 1919-S 66FB from Amspacher and that Noe_ (of whom (not forgetting) a lot more good is remembered by elderlies) and a '99-S 25c MS66+ from a Stacks auction for $$320 I sold to Dan Rucci for$7000. FWIW in March 1980 Eddie Hipps sold an MS66FB for $30,000.

By then, I was done with my gem FB MCD project, the study of which resulted in my April and May 1980 CDN articles on the series. At the time, the standards for FSB were more rigorous ;):s If the original copy he's working with hasn't crumbled, you can buy copies from @JohnF for $99.99 per page. :*;)

Never owned an unc '16-D until I was a dealer :)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely PQ for the grade! Love the look of that example.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin. It was great to meet you and chat at St. Charles.

• jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

A true collectors' coin.

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats Jon. It's nice to see you completed the set. That is definitely a nice-looking one.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

@ColonelJessup said:
    Congratulations on replacing your replaceable MS63 with a cherry circ and loads of other worthwhile pieces that filled in holes more critical to the overall project :D

In 1976, already a pain-in-the-ass to Mercury Dime dealers around throughout the country, I went to Boston for a NERCA auction. Pumped up by a Coin World article about a gem 1916-D sold by B&R breaking the $2,000 barrier, but wanting to get into Type. For overall market mood, @MrEureka or a few curmudgeons might recall if this the same year Bob and Bobby paid over $100,000 for an '04 $1.

Anyway, Jimmy Halperin offered me (IIRC, by today's standards), a '16-D MS-66FB for $2,500. I spent about 30 seconds in consideration before passing. To Jim's semi-sigh and sincere "It's really the best I've seen", I replied "I know (full sigh), but I won't be able to buy another coin for six months" and he "got it".

Within the next six months, I acquired a 18-D FB (now 65+) from NERCG for $240 I sold to David Hall for $5450 in '81, a 1919-S 66FB from Amspacher and that Noe_ (of whom (not forgetting) a lot more good is remembered by elderlies) and a '99-S 25c MS66+ from a Stacks auction for $$320 I sold to Dan Rucci for$7000. FWIW in March 1980 Eddie Hipps sold an MS66FB for $30,000.

By then, I was done with my gem FB MCD project, the study of which resulted in my April and May 1980 CDN articles on the series. At the time, the standards for FSB were more rigorous ;):s If the original copy he's working with hasn't crumbled, you can buy copies from @JohnF for $99.99 per page. :*;)

Never owned an unc '16-D until I was a dealer :)

O.....M.....G...!!! A 66FB for 2500. Today the list for that is 72.5K!!!

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great looking 16-D. Congrats on completing the set.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your 16-D is just about a twin to mine (can't post photo's, sorry) even in a PCGS holder like yours! Nice coin!
    Pete

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

really attractive coin

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coin and very neat looking, i like

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking dime. As you said most in the lower grades look like puke.

Ken

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's not to like? She is beautiful! :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a wholesome looking coin! Nice pickup!

HLRC has some very nice coins. Well done!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

A really good looking dime to finish out your Merc set. Good job!!

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very attractive 16-D...heck it's an attractive dime of any year for the Mercury series!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your latest addition . See you in Springfield..........Enjoy Tom

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice specimen... If there was such a grade, I would call it a VG11 ;) Cheers, RickO

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

An exceedingly wholesome VG10.

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

Your coin reminds me of a day long ago in junior high, when my old coin (and first workplace for me) boss had a very similar, "perfect" fine '16-d in an old ANACS white slab in his inventory (it was actually the first gen of that holder, and quite new at the time.) Time flies -- I like to think that coin is probably still in that holder in a collection somewhere. Needless to say, at the time I couldn't afford it. ;)

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very great looking original example and Congrats on the addition.
    JA even gave his approval :)

Here is mine photographed by Todd/BluCC

Leebone - that is a nice original looking Fine. :)

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Leebone - that is a nice original looking Fine. :)

:#

• PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

Great coin at the level Jon. You can look at 100 at this level before you find one this nice. Good job MR DIMEMAN!

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

That one does the trick nicely... Congrats for completing your set!!!!

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Great look for the grade.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!!!

• garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

I like that the mintmark is intact. When I bought my PCGS VG10, it had an intact mint mark, the dealer also had a VF35 that had a blob for a mint mark.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Splendid specimen. When I was young the 16-D always eluded me to complete my Merc. set. Back then $90.00 for a graded Good example was alot of $.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to say you have great taste but your choice of football team tells a different tall. I will resort to simply a great coin and congrats

@Crypto said:
    I would like to say you have great taste but your choice of football team tells a different tall. I will resort to simply a great coin and congrats

Hey, we rolled over the Chief's. :)B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file