Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just purchased "THE DIME" to complete my Mercury Dime Complete Variety Set.......

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 16-D!!!!! It's not the PCGS62 I use to have, but it will fill the hole for now. This is the first low grade 16-D I have ever seen that I liked. They are usually bright and shinney. This baby has "CRUST"! I worked out a deal with HLRC for this little GEM. Some may not like it, but for me it is perfect for the grade. Thanks for looking....comments welcome. :)

Comments

  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I like it. You have a good eye for quality.

    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I like the looks of that :smile:

    Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

    Bad transactions with : nobody to date

  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice .Honest wear with no major hits.

  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

    attractive coin--congrats

  • Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice looking coin.

    Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice.
    It seems thousands of AG/G coins exist (many of which are real), but these middle grade coins are tough to come by.

    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice coin for the grade. Congrats on completing your set.

    An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Congrats! Most of the 16d dimes I've seen in lower grades make me say blah, this one is appealing.

    Now, serious question... you being the dime guru, does the 16d fall into a special grading circumstance, i.e. Poor strikes, weak dies, etc? Truthfully, my novice eyes said G6 when I first saw the obverse, yet I agree the reverse is VG10.

    Example:

    ------------------------------------------------------------

    "You Suck Award" - February, 2015

    Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Perfect coin!

    WS

    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Awesomeness for the dimeman!
    100% complete !! B)
    The original crust looks great.
    My 16d us crusty too, but like yours better than mine

    Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @StrikeOutXXX said:
    Congrats! Most of the 16d dimes I've seen in lower grades make me say blah, this one is appealing.

    Now, serious question... you being the dime guru, does the 16d fall into a special grading circumstance, i.e. Poor strikes, weak dies, etc? Truthfully, my novice eyes said G6 when I first saw the obverse, yet I agree the reverse is VG10.

    Example:

    Some of the obv detail is hard to see because of the crust. We shouldn't argue with JA now! ;):oB)

  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Sandman70gt said:
    Awesomeness for the dimeman!
    100% complete !! B)
    The original crust looks great.
    My 16d us crusty too, but like yours better than mine

    Hey, I like yours too...thanks! :)

  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DIMEMAN said:
    Some of the obv detail is hard to see because of the crust. We shouldn't argue with JA now! ;):oB)

    LOL - Apparently Sandman70gt's has crusted over a lot of OBV detail too.

    Not picking on either, this is probably why at Coin Club grading committee, I always get majority voted into the minority LOL.

    Nice coins either way.

    ------------------------------------------------------------

    "You Suck Award" - February, 2015

    Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Sweet! Very nice look for the grade.

  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

    Great piece, great quality. I used to have a G6 "bright" one, since sold, and when I get one again would love to have one approaching the quality yours has. :)

  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What's not to love? It's absolutely beautiful!

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @StrikeOutXXX said:

    Now, serious question... you being the dime guru, does the 16d fall into a special grading circumstance, i.e. Poor strikes, weak dies, etc? Truthfully, my novice eyes said G6 when I first saw the obverse, yet I agree the reverse is VG10.

    The 16 and early 17 dimes were struck in higher relief and the wing feathers wear away sooner than the later years.

    Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

    congrats!

    Frank

    BHNC #203

  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017 11:00AM

    Congratulations on replacing your replaceable MS63 with a cherry circ and loads of other worthwhile pieces that filled in holes more critical to the overall project :D

    In 1976, already a pain-in-the-ass to Mercury Dime dealers around throughout the country, I went to Boston for a NERCA auction. Pumped up by a Coin World article about a gem 1916-D sold by B&R breaking the $2,000 barrier, but wanting to get into Type. For overall market mood, @MrEureka or a few curmudgeons might recall if this the same year Bob and Bobby paid over $100,000 for an '04 $1.

    Anyway, Jimmy Halperin offered me (IIRC, by today's standards), a '16-D MS-66FB for $2,500. I spent about 30 seconds in consideration before passing. To Jim's semi-sigh and sincere "It's really the best I've seen", I replied "I know (full sigh), but I won't be able to buy another coin for six months" and he "got it".

    Within the next six months, I acquired a 18-D FB (now 65+) from NERCG for $240 I sold to David Hall for $5450 in '81, a 1919-S 66FB from Amspacher and that Noe_ (of whom (not forgetting) a lot more good is remembered by elderlies) and a '99-S 25c MS66+ from a Stacks auction for $$320 I sold to Dan Rucci for$7000. FWIW in March 1980 Eddie Hipps sold an MS66FB for $30,000.

    By then, I was done with my gem FB MCD project, the study of which resulted in my April and May 1980 CDN articles on the series. At the time, the standards for FSB were more rigorous ;):s If the original copy he's working with hasn't crumbled, you can buy copies from @JohnF for $99.99 per page. :*;)

    Never owned an unc '16-D until I was a dealer :)

    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭

    Definitely PQ for the grade! Love the look of that example.

  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice coin. It was great to meet you and chat at St. Charles.

  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

    A true collectors' coin.

    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

    Congrats Jon. It's nice to see you completed the set. That is definitely a nice-looking one.

    President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ColonelJessup said:
    Congratulations on replacing your replaceable MS63 with a cherry circ and loads of other worthwhile pieces that filled in holes more critical to the overall project :D

    In 1976, already a pain-in-the-ass to Mercury Dime dealers around throughout the country, I went to Boston for a NERCA auction. Pumped up by a Coin World article about a gem 1916-D sold by B&R breaking the $2,000 barrier, but wanting to get into Type. For overall market mood, @MrEureka or a few curmudgeons might recall if this the same year Bob and Bobby paid over $100,000 for an '04 $1.

    Anyway, Jimmy Halperin offered me (IIRC, by today's standards), a '16-D MS-66FB for $2,500. I spent about 30 seconds in consideration before passing. To Jim's semi-sigh and sincere "It's really the best I've seen", I replied "I know (full sigh), but I won't be able to buy another coin for six months" and he "got it".

    Within the next six months, I acquired a 18-D FB (now 65+) from NERCG for $240 I sold to David Hall for $5450 in '81, a 1919-S 66FB from Amspacher and that Noe_ (of whom (not forgetting) a lot more good is remembered by elderlies) and a '99-S 25c MS66+ from a Stacks auction for $$320 I sold to Dan Rucci for$7000. FWIW in March 1980 Eddie Hipps sold an MS66FB for $30,000.

    By then, I was done with my gem FB MCD project, the study of which resulted in my April and May 1980 CDN articles on the series. At the time, the standards for FSB were more rigorous ;):s If the original copy he's working with hasn't crumbled, you can buy copies from @JohnF for $99.99 per page. :*;)

    Never owned an unc '16-D until I was a dealer :)

    O.....M.....G...!!! A 66FB for 2500. Today the list for that is 72.5K!!!

  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That is a great looking 16-D. Congrats on completing the set.

    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Your 16-D is just about a twin to mine (can't post photo's, sorry) even in a PCGS holder like yours! Nice coin!
    Pete

    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

    really attractive coin

  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

    nice coin and very neat looking, i like

  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice looking dime. As you said most in the lower grades look like puke.

    Ken

  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What's not to like? She is beautiful! :#

    ~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That's a wholesome looking coin! Nice pickup!

    HLRC has some very nice coins. Well done!

    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice.

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

    A really good looking dime to finish out your Merc set. Good job!!

  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very attractive 16-D...heck it's an attractive dime of any year for the Mercury series!

    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

    BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Congrats on your latest addition . See you in Springfield..........Enjoy Tom

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.


    Link to My Registry Set.

    https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

    Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That is a very nice specimen... If there was such a grade, I would call it a VG11 ;) Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

    An exceedingly wholesome VG10.

  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

    Your coin reminds me of a day long ago in junior high, when my old coin (and first workplace for me) boss had a very similar, "perfect" fine '16-d in an old ANACS white slab in his inventory (it was actually the first gen of that holder, and quite new at the time.) Time flies -- I like to think that coin is probably still in that holder in a collection somewhere. Needless to say, at the time I couldn't afford it. ;)

  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very great looking original example and Congrats on the addition.
    JA even gave his approval :)

    Here is mine photographed by Todd/BluCC

  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Leebone - that is a nice original looking Fine. :)

  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DIMEMAN said:
    Leebone - that is a nice original looking Fine. :)

    :#

  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

    Great coin at the level Jon. You can look at 100 at this level before you find one this nice. Good job MR DIMEMAN!

    The End of the Line in the West.

    Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That one does the trick nicely... Congrats for completing your set!!!!

  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Congrats! Great look for the grade.

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice!!!

  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

    I like that the mintmark is intact. When I bought my PCGS VG10, it had an intact mint mark, the dealer also had a VF35 that had a blob for a mint mark.

  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Splendid specimen. When I was young the 16-D always eluded me to complete my Merc. set. Back then $90.00 for a graded Good example was alot of $.

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would like to say you have great taste but your choice of football team tells a different tall. I will resort to simply a great coin and congrats

  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Crypto said:
    I would like to say you have great taste but your choice of football team tells a different tall. I will resort to simply a great coin and congrats

    Hey, we rolled over the Chief's. :)B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file