Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Shop Morgans

So I stopped at the coin shop at lunch time to pickup 3 silver dollar tubes. I noticed they has a cigar box with silver dollars, about 75 -100. Most were culls or in VG condition. Many peace and morgans. The guy said $17 each. After cherry picking I ended up with 9 of them.
That was an expensive lunch.
From upper left
1879-P
1882-O
1883-P (2)
1889-P (2)
1890-P
1897-P
1922-P

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/6977/pd9uFN.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/9887/UwjOHo.jpg

Love the 1885-CC Morgan

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, if you are happy....

Sorry, I have too many common dates of these

But good luck

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on a nice lunch :smile:
    @ccmorgan

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like tips for the next 9 lunches.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it!! A fist full of dollars. Don’t let the coin snobs get ya down. Add to it often, as a bag of silver dollars is always cool!

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

My kind of lunch!

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

I check ebay once in a while and morgans like these go for $25+ each. At the last gun show a guy had some for $24 each. I bought all 19 of them. They we're nicrr than these but most were peace dollars.
    I know most of you guys don't care for circulated dollars like these but i'm a sucker for decent silver dollars. When i was a kid my grandfather showed me a bank bag full of silver dollars that he saved from circulation over the years. Ever since then i've loved silver dollars.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Nice.
    I like those, "A Fist Full Of Dollars."
    And you don't have to worry about 'hurting them'!

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ccmorgan said:
    I check ebay once in a while and morgans like these go for $25+ each. At the last gun show a guy had some for $24 each. I bought all 19 of them. They we're nicrr than these but most were peace dollars.
    I know most of you guys don't care for circulated dollars like these but i'm a sucker for decent silver dollars. When i was a kid my grandfather showed me a bank bag full of silver dollars that he saved from circulation over the years. Ever since then i've loved silver dollars.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'd rather have circs myself. I like them around VF or XF not ugly worn things but not so nice that I have to worry about damaging them.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

most are under what dealers are paying. not buy much every little bit counts!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well now, that’s a pleasant afternoon pick me up and a fun way to get through the day.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:
    most are under what dealers are paying. not buy much every little bit counts!

I was going to say, just try and buy those dollars from the public at that price. It's not possible.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2017 3:10PM

I once had a customer who was working on forming a set of Morgan Dollars in circulated condition. I made a point of avoiding problem coins for him, but they were mostly pieces that cost less than $20. By doing this you can avoid a lot of the date and mint mark combinations that are very expensive in Unc. and even AU.

Of there are some dates that are expensive no matter what you do, like the 1893-S, 1894-P and all of the 1895 coins. The 1885-CC cost him close to $200 because very few are available in the circulated grades. It's actually hard to find that coin in less than Mint State.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice lunch.... Did you get fries with that??? :D:D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I once had a customer who was working on forming a set of Morgan Dollars in circulated condition. I made a point of avoiding problem coins for him, but they were mostly pieces that cost less than $20. By doing this you can avoid a lot of the date and mint mark combinations that are very expensive in Unc. and even AU.

Of there are some dates that expensive no matter what you do, like the 1893-S and all of the 1895 coins. The 1885-CC cost him close to $200 because very few are available in the circulated grades. It's actually hard to find that coin in less than Mint State.

IIRC, the 1881-CC is also hard to find circulated [and nice].

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017 8:08AM

A guy got mad at me for offering $17. So, I offered $15.

He left. Came back later after checking around and sold them for $15.

They sell on eBay for about $20.

No BS.

There’s more stuff out there than I care to weigh in here about.

• Options

The two 1883s are cleaned but they're AU that's why I kept them.
    I didn't buy these to flip I bought them because I love silver dollars.
    If silver goes to $40-$50/oz like a few years ago then they're as good as gold.

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, I use my 'mad money' at my LCS to make purchases like that....
    When I get MAD, I spend some of it and feel much better!
    To quote Apmex, "An Investment You Can Hold", and they are sure fun to play with.

• Options

Sounds like a fun treasure seeking lunch :)

Eccentrically dedicated

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, great find @ccmorgan
    :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Added these to my plastic tube rolls and took a count, I have 35 peace dollars and 65 morgans now. With a handful of each in UNC condition. Most are F to XF.

Love the 1885-CC Morgan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file