Home U.S. Coin Forum

Did anyone here buy this PATHETIC 1893-s Morgan COUNTERFEIT for $2,715 on eBay?

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

That date does look suspect. Would anyone admit it now?!

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn, missed another one! Nope, not I.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ali Babba at their greatest!!! Love the crators on the stars.

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such an obvious fake.

Any collector who gets fooled on that one should definitely think about cashing in their coins and taking up playing canasta.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did that slip through??

The more you VAM..
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rock bottom listing in all respects, should have the account shut down.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it better to file a claim with ebay or paypal?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the second "questionable" 93-S today. The non informed person who bought it will run from numismatics and never return.

What a cryin shame!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's funny that is so obvious to all of yall. I never buy, touch, or really look at morgans, so it does not scream "fake" at first glance to me. Obviously I would not buy an expensive coin raw without knowing them well though. To me, I can usually spot counterfeit $2 1/2 Indians with ease, and "obvious" fakes to me can fool most people. I've had to argue and try to convince a few people the Indian they just bought was fake, but most don't believe me, so decide to keep. Oh well.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

You got to study. You have to read. Counterfeit Detection and grading guide by PCGS is one of the best references I have.

Simple: if the "1" in the date is not centered over a denticle the coin is altered. Do not pass GO.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

The truly wrong thing about that coin is 62 bids. Wow.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2017 2:06PM

Anyone notify the PNG-PCGS-NGC-CAC-ICTA-ANA-coin community counterfeiting fraud unit yet? o:)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

great point!

Frank

BHNC #203

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    It's funny that is so obvious to all of yall. I never buy, touch, or really look at morgans, so it does not scream "fake" at first glance to me. Obviously I would not buy an expensive coin raw without knowing them well though. To me, I can usually spot counterfeit $2 1/2 Indians with ease, and "obvious" fakes to me can fool most people. I've had to argue and try to convince a few people the Indian they just bought was fake, but most don't believe me, so decide to keep. Oh well.

I don't think you need to be a Morgan afficionado to recognize that it is cast not struck.

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    You got to study. You have to read. Counterfeit Detection and grading guide by PCGS is one of the best references I have.

Simple: if the "1" in the date is not centered over a denticle the coin is altered. Do not pass GO.

Pete

Be careful. If you need the "1" in the date to know that coin is counterfeit, you are going to get fooled by any number of better castings or electrotypes.

I reported it to eBay and contacted the seller to inform him that it was an obvious cast copy and the federal government cracks down on counterfeits. He may not know. It's the only coin he's selling.

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2017 4:31PM

All I need to see is the obverse, no question counterfeit. Only one obverse die was used for this date n mm, if the 1 isn't over the 4th denticle to the right of the point in the neck truncation, it's no good. Not quite square over it but darn close.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

great point!

Is this another example of the "internet only" collectors in action?

All glory is fleeting.
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't see a single thing on that coin that would make me think it's genuine.

Absolutely everything looks wrong on obv. and rev., lettering, date, pathetic mintmark, surfaces, denticles, raised lumps, everything.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:
    I can't see a single thing on that coin that would make me think it's genuine.

Absolutely everything looks wrong on obv. and rev., lettering, date, pathetic mintmark, surfaces, denticles, raised lumps, everything.

Yes, it has all of the characteristics of a lousy Chinese counterfeit, right down the "shoe polish" toning around the date.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    edited November 2, 2017 7:39PM

I contacted the seller and reported it to eBay. The buyer actually got back to me. He told me that he had no idea, that he got it from an estate sale. Might be true. Based on what he sells, that seems consistent eBay removed it. Hopefully the buyer will be warned.

@jmlanzaf said:
    I contacted the buyer and reported it to eBay. The buyer actually got back to me. He told me that he had no idea, that he got it from an estate sale. Might be true. Based on what he sells, that seems consistent eBay removed it. Hopefully the buyer will be warned.

I think you meant seller.

bob:)

• kazkaz Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's so granular, it looks like it's made from compressed sugar. some candy!

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a shame. 60 bidders? Really?

@dpoole said:
    What a shame. 60 bidders? Really?

No. It's 2 bidders, more or less, with about 30 bids each.

@jmlanzaf said:
    I contacted the seller and reported it to eBay. The buyer actually got back to me. He told me that he had no idea, that he got it from an estate sale. Might be true. Based on what he sells, that seems consistent eBay removed it. Hopefully the buyer will be warned.

Yes, sorry.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn't in a Doily so I passed.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

No VAM collector would ever bid on it.
    It has the reverse hub type (and mint-mark size & style) of 1921.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... that is so obviously counterfeit I am surprised it was not just sold as a counterfeit....People do collect them.... I have one myself.... however, it is a MUCH better counterfeit than that one....would fool most people except Morgan collectors with substantial experience - that, and no CC Morgans were minted that year :D:D:D Cheers, RickO

• EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • smalltimesmalltime Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

When I first started collecting, I got scammed with 2 1889 CC Morgans.. Sent them to PCGS for grading and both came back labeled counterfeit. Never did recover anything from Ebay cause I sent them in months after the purchase. Now I know if it is too good to be true, then stay away. Is it legal to sell the counterfeits if advertised as such?

• Speaking of 1889cc counterfeits, I was wondering about this one that sold recently? I was too nervous to pursue it assuming it was probably too good to be true and didn't have the time to scrutinize the details before it ended:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1889-cc-morgan-silver-dollar-/322854150044?hash=item4b2b9b5f9c:g:51sAAOSwAHtZ9j6c&nma=true&si=qcz63UW3Ab%2BQDIip%2FAZ%2BMfKJuoQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Eccentrically dedicated

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smalltime said:
    When I first started collecting, I got scammed with 2 1889 CC Morgans.. Sent them to PCGS for grading and both came back labeled counterfeit. Never did recover anything from Ebay cause I sent them in months after the purchase. Now I know if it is too good to be true, then stay away. Is it legal to sell the counterfeits if advertised as such?

It is not legal to sell copies unless they are labeled as such on the piece. It can be on the obverse or the reverse.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

@Jupiter88 said:
    Speaking of 1889cc counterfeits, I was wondering about this one that sold recently? I was too nervous to pursue it assuming it was probably too good to be true and didn't have the time to scrutinize the details before it ended:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1889-cc-morgan-silver-dollar-/322854150044?hash=item4b2b9b5f9c:g:51sAAOSwAHtZ9j6c&nma=true&si=qcz63UW3Ab%2BQDIip%2FAZ%2BMfKJuoQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It is a Counterfeit 1889-cc. The mintmark and the fonts are way off.

@smalltime said:

No, coin has to comply with the law to be sold as a fake. The law requires COPY to be stamped into the coin when the coin is made. COPY has to be a certain size, relative to the coin. Seller can not legally sell this junk.
    bob

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think ebay removed the list

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well now I think about selling counterfeit coins on eBay.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • @ArizonaRareCoins said:
    It is a Counterfeit 1889-cc. The mintmark and the fonts are way off.

That's what I figured, but how does a counterfeiter create the satiny luster? Are counterfeiters usually able to create satiny a like this one has? I am constantly learning so I'm always curious about these things. Would you say this is a higher level of counterfeiting skill-wise?:

I added the photos below for reference from the auction:

There's another auction that is currently active and is over $400 so far that ends in 2 days for a different 1889-CC. After I downloaded and lightened the photos, I could see on this one that things seemed "off" with it from the round lumps inside the 889, the finish, and the denticles are strange looking?
    Listing:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1889-Silver-Dollar-Morgan-CC-Carson-City-Silver-coin/152763358550?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=48740&meid=0310c61c68a14b0b8a96706bdca99f77&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=12&sd=322854150044&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

I added the photos below for reference from the auction:

Eccentrically dedicated

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very fake. When you get a few more under your belt, these pieces of crapola stick out like sore thumbs. You can detect then even in the thumbprint small photos.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file