Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins or Candy?

CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are you passing out tonight? Personally I would rather have a Lindt bar than an old wheat cent of the same value.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Candy of course - only individual little bags of gold foil wrapped coins!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Candy here. :)

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a retirement check arrive monthly from Mars Chocolate, so I feel obligated to give M&M's and Snickers to the little mongrels.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Candy. Giving them coins is a waste of the coins. The coin will get lost in shuffle, and most of the kids will feel like you are tricking them if you only give out a coin. Tonight is Hershey bars. The kids really seem to like those.

PLUS Giving out coins from your front door is like putting a sign in your front yard that reads, "Coin collector lives here." That's not smart. :|

Gulp! I just called the wife and asked her to get some real candy!

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dear and now departed father switched from candy to nickels about 25 years ago. Couldn't figure out why they were unappreciated. Guess a nickel meant a whole bunch more in the 1930's when he was coming up.

;)

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Candy. I don't feel like cleaning eggs off the house.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Massive handfuls of candy. Some years we have tons of kids so I buy a lot, and then some years we get like 20 kids total and they all get just huge handfuls and the office becomes swimming in candy through xmas with all the leftovers.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

i hope my neighbor remembers to bring in his dobermans this year >:)

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given a coin for Halloween is how I got started...it was a Kennedy Half Dollar from the lady next door...many moons ago.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

I feel sorry for the kids of today...Halloween was much better in the 1950's.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    My dear and now departed father switched from candy to nickels about 25 years ago. Couldn't figure out why they were unappreciated. Guess a nickel meant a whole bunch more in the 1930's when he was coming up.

;)

The nickel candy bar disappeared along with the Yugo … well almost.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a dentist in the hood that gave out apples. Good of him to make the effort, but c'mon. The bag of butterfingers, kit kats and peanut butter cups were going to get eaten first.

• Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Had a dentist in the hood that gave out apples. Good of him to make the effort, but c'mon. The bag of butterfingers, kit kats and peanut butter cups were going to get eaten first.

He probably found most of them in his front yard in the morning.

Now if they were caramel apples that was a different story ;)

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Small bags of microwave popcorn seem to work well. Parents are very suspicious of anything that is not factory-wrapped: too many perverts who put metal shards in fruit or cookies. In this area most hospitals and clinics with x-ray machines offer free checking of halloween goodies.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neither, I'll be working.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's time for some self evaluation:

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Halloween to all :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017 1:21PM

Candy... I don't wanna get kicked in the shins!

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    RoscoRosco Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

Choice of either or both...take 2.

Peanut Butter Crackers or Snickers.

@TommyType said:
    Maybe it's time for some self evaluation:

Now I have to go find where I parked my Gold Plated Jet...

R.I.P Son 1986>2020

• Options

Used to pass out kittens for halloween until neighborhood parents objected. Their kids got scratched by the little vermin.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always , well, 40 years anyway, given out little zip-locks with 3 or 4 dark side coins in them. I know that it misses the boat on many of the kids (they get enough candy anyway), but for that small percentage, they're thrilled.
    One year, a little 8 or so year old boy spun around, "Mom, it's coins !!!" Mom stood there nodding her head approvingly, "You got him started last year", she said.
    Just last year a teenage girl asks me what I just put in her bag. I told her it was world coins. "Oh Wow ! My boyfriend LOVES coins, he's going to be so happy." Sure enough, about a hour and a half later. "Trick-or-Treat".....standing there is a teenage boy, no costume. "Are you the guy giving out the coins, my girlfriend wasn't sure which house it was ?" "Yes, here you go"....."Wow, thank you sir".....(no exaggeration with the 'sir', I'm pretty impressed at how polite kids have always been to me.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried coins.... ONCE
    That was enough.
    Word traveled faster than Zika.

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

We had four kids..

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gave out Snickers, Hershey's chocolate and Reese's peanut butter cups

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Candy. We had 23 kids. Some of them were a little big.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way back in the day (mid-Sixties) I remember an old guy that lived in an apt near me who gave out full rolls of pennies. Of course, I turned those into candy the next morning.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017 9:35PM

Candy cigs, did you have to show a ID to buy them ;)

Had around 60 kids this year, which was less than normal. But the temp was in the low 30's so not too many little ones were out this year.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Candy... the good stuff - Snickers, Milky Way, Reese's PBC etc..... My daughter and grand daughter did the honors... had just under 300 kids...(297, but who's counting?)..... :D Some very clever costumes....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zero kids last night :disappointed:
    More candy for me :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@Coinstartled said:

;)

The nickel candy bar disappeared along with the Yugo … well almost.

The difference is that everyone ENJOYED the nickel candy bar. :p

Cheers

Bob

• Options

Few kids last night. Will put the remaining kittens in the freezer for next year.... ;)

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JazzmanJAB said:
    Candy Cigarettes

I remember those from the 80s. The bubble gum ones too where you could blow out the white powder in between the paper and gum like smoke. Expect a few parents to be knocking on your door today lol.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

haven,t had any tick or treaters in years... turning out the lights and maintaining broken glass on the walkway helps

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

No trick or treaters in my hood

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2017 5:40PM

Candy for all trick-or-treaters.

And to a few youngsters, I discretely give a Zombucks ("Currency of the Apocalypse") or other 1 oz copper Round.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Candy's dandy
    And coins aren't snickers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file