Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What happens to coin prices during recessions?

Simple (though perhaps controversial) question: What happens to coin prices during recessions?

I could make a birth year registry set out of pocket change.

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no clear answer to this question. If precious metal prices go up, coin prices can go up during slow economic times. If they don't, the dealers will have a slow period just like everyone else.

The coin market went crazy in 1979 and '80 despite the fact that unemployment was high. The driver was high metal prices and inflation.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Danye WestDanye West Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

If precious metal prices go up, coin prices can go up during slow economic times. If they don't, the dealers will have a slow period just like everyone else.

Only if the coin values are tied to metal?

I could make a birth year registry set out of pocket change.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

The answer may depend on where you are on the economic ladder. Disposable income and feelings about future economic health guide purchases of collectibles.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Show me a recession and I'll find a coin that fits a collector, during it.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2017 5:51PM

@Danye West said:
    Simple (though perhaps controversial) question: What happens to coin prices during recessions?

Coins that have been promoted during the previous boom, usually get hammered up to 30-90%. Collector-based coins that were never promoted tend to hold their ground (even if less liquid) or fall slightly in price (10-20%). From what I've seen, the decline is well correlated to the previous rise. Top quality coin prices went up as much as 15X from 1975-1980. The ensuring 2-3 yr correction took those same coins down by by 60-75%. The 1991-1995 correction decimated those types of coins by 50-90%. The 2009-2011 correction was good for 20-65%.

There will always be exceptions bucking that trend. Some out of the way areas might actually increase in price, sometimes dramatically. Circ better date seated coins didn't get decimated by the 1982 and 1995 corrections....as they didn't run up in price tremendously to begin with. But they suffered their first big price drop ever in 2009-2011 because they did advance in price by multiples from 2002-2008. I concur with Bill Jones that rare coin market moves up or down tend to correlate to advancing or declining bullion prices. The only recession of the past 50 years that seemed to "help" coin prices was the stag-flation "recession" of 1976-1980....though I suspect economists would call the recession of that period as 1973-1975....the entire decade of 1969-1979 was sort of a choppy/volatile mess....one long "recession."

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

The strength of the economy is only one of the forces that can impact the coin market. Depending on whatever the other forces happen to be at any point in time, the coin market can go either way in any economy.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the effects is that market activity slows since collectors don't want to sell into a falling market. Of course, a few will eventually bail, it's not like everything just stops.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eye appeal wins during recessions.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before you can even begin to answer that question, you have to recognize that there is NO SINGLE coin market. What happens to common date Morgan $s is different than what happens to 1804 dollars is different than what happens to modern slabbed coins.

In general, the price of any commodity will not do better than the economy because there will be fewer dollars chasing the commodity.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Demographics have more influence on what disposable income is spent on than anything else.

I'm not optimistic about the interest level of the bulk of "millennials" who are now just starting to affect ALL markets.

Sure, "they" may be in line for healthy inheritances, but I don't think "they" spend much time studying monetary history as "they" don't seem to be concerned with economic trends.

And, yes this is a generalization but I'd not dismiss the effect they'll have.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have purchased a few very nice coins when the stock market gets hit... mostly people needing cash to cover 'shorts'...at least that is what they told me .... I have those coins and they are considerably higher in value than my cost....Now, I am not wishing bad times on anyone, but a stock crash will have me looking... ;) Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file