Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm about to sell a coin on eBay to a new member for $2650. If he pays via PayPal, can he scam me?

I'm sure people have asked this before, but I could not find threads on this subject.

If he pays me $2650 via PayPal, it lands in my general account (not a special bank account that is emptied after every PayPal transaction), can he scam me?

If so - how?

I will send it USPS Express mail, with signature required.

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins

Comments

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2017 10:43AM

Once the payment enters Paypal you then transfer all every cent into your bank account. Once those funds show up in YOUR account and you have not filled any paper form to allow some one access (this being the buyer) to your account you are safe. IMPO It will take at least 24 hours to enter your account.

Good example or similar I signed a check to buy a coin and it was deposited in NY from a major firm. They waiting for the check to clear in their bank even though my bank showed it cashed and showing the cashed check in my account. It took an additional 3 day. But in Paypal usually 24 hours to enter YOUR ACCOUNT.

Then you use signature confirmation. Here is one that will blow your mind even after with signature confirmation Fed Ex called me out of the blue and the buyer and not responded after 3 posted deliver attempts. I went back online and left two (2) messages the last one that I was concerned about his safety cause it was a few thousand dollars that I was going to contact the State Police!

Guess what he finally answered me telling me (within hours) he signed for it. Sounds crazy but you protect yourself from cradle to grave! You should be fine. I was worried for those few days but I had full control his money + Fed Ex refusing to give the package with out a signature. Full respect to Fed Ex for a superb job! This was only 2 weeks ago. And I came here and the good people here helped with their thoughts just returning the favor. Glen

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2017 10:41AM

You can always be scammed,,,,,,,, he could say the box was empty.

Some people make a boxing video,,,,,, not sure how much that would help though.

I have been nervous on deals before but never really lost any money.
    Worst deal was a $150 coin showed out for delivery by out-of-state Post Office but never scanned as delivered. Buyer claimed never receiving it since no proof of delivery. PayPal took my money but I insured it and Post Office paid the claim.

Even if you use a seperate account and PayPal deceides you owe them they will hound you until you pay them back.

If it doesn't feel right don't do it.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well anything is possible. I think communication is always best. Get his direct phone number. Insure the contents. Make sure you have a receipt from the buyer for how much he paid. Paypal does this anyway.

The answer is yes....

So he/she/it could claim non delivery, but it would be hard with a signature. He/she/it could return the coin (A different coin )
    and get you that way. So have pictures (detailed) of what you are sending out.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2017 10:39AM

You do not need express mail. You will need a signature. Follow paypals seller protection policy and they will cover you.

They always cover me from fraud.

You could always call paypal customer service and ask their advice and note the time as every phone call is recorded. Take notes.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have this kind of concern, why accept the offer?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2017 10:46AM

If you're super worried do the boxing video and send it registered. Get the tracking number in the video. Then it's all on the post office.

This is the super paranoid method though....

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    edited October 29, 2017 10:47AM

@grote15 said:
    If you have this kind of concern, why accept the offer?

I was very concerned about a transaction for $749.95 (no signature required) to an APO box overseas. Seemed kinda shady. I called PayPal and they said to ship. Credit card chargeback followed soon after and PayPal made me whole as it was marked delivered.

• Options

Everyone of these explanation's are good makes you wonder why you come here but the truth is there are so many answers. Everyone will help you shape your decisions as it does mine. I respect every answer here cause this post effects my every day decisions.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, you can be scammed. I had a new member buy 2 coins for about $5,000 (which would have been really good sales), but I felt un-easy about it. I called paypal, and they confirmed all the buyer had to do was claim it was empty and I would lose my money. I asked the buyer for his phone number to talk with him. He never provided it, so I canceled the sales.

• Options
    ronctxronctx Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

It can take 4 days or so for PayPal to release the money to your account. This can cause problems with the buyer, as they think since the money has been sent to PayPal then you should send the coin even though you haven't received the money into your account.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI, PayPal now has an option to transfer money to a debit account in 30 minutes. I haven't tried it yet though and don't know if theor is a maximum limit per transfer.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    Once the payment enters Paypal you then transfer all every cent into your bank account. Once those funds show up in YOUR account and you have not filled any paper form to allow some one access (this being the buyer) to your account you are safe. IMPO It will take at least 24 hours to enter your account.

Good example or similar I signed a check to buy a coin and it was deposited in NY from a major firm. They waiting for the check to clear in their bank even though my bank showed it cashed and showing the cashed check in my account. It took an additional 3 day. But in Paypal usually 24 hours to enter YOUR ACCOUNT.

Then you use signature confirmation. Here is one that will blow your mind even after with signature confirmation Fed Ex called me out of the blue and the buyer and not responded after 3 posted deliver attempts. I went back online and left two (2) messages the last one that I was concerned about his safety cause it was a few thousand dollars that I was going to contact the State Police!

Guess what he finally answered me telling me (within hours) he signed for it. Sounds crazy but you protect yourself from cradle to grave! You should be fine. I was worried for those few days but I had full control his money + Fed Ex refusing to give the package with out a signature. Full respect to Fed Ex for a superb job! This was only 2 weeks ago. And I came here and the good people here helped with their thoughts just returning the favor. Glen

Paypal could refund money back to buyer ...putting a negative balance on your PP account .. then if You don't pay up..... PP sends your account to collectors

• Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Thanks to all for your suggestions. If he does buy it, I will call PayPal to get on the record my concerns, video my sealing and mailing the package (the folks at the Post Office have become good friends), ask for his phone number, and send it USPS Express mail with direct signature. And of course sweep the funds out of my PayPal account and wait for them to clear my account before shipping.

If I get scammed after all that, then he has earned it!

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

He can always file a charge back through PayPal for any reason. You could request a money order

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2017 11:48AM

Providing buyer's ebay ID will enable those here to look closer at your odds.

possible scam two ways: (1) claim that it is not as described or empty. Your seller history with ebay will influence who they believe. (2) Credit card charge back is always possible with any paypal sale. Ebay will fight CC company on your behalf as long as you have the required proof of delivery.

Transferring your funds immediately to your account does not protect them from being recovered by paypal. Your agreement with them authorizes them to pull them from your bank account. The only way around this is to, after transferring to your bank account, withdraw or transfer to another account leaving the linked bank account with a near zero balance. This will most likely only slow down paypal's recovery process. Videos of packing the shipment are useless, they do not prove that you actually sent what you videoed yourself packaging.

You want to ship an item of this value (anything over $800) using Registered US mail, you have to purchase at the USPS counter. If total weight is under 13 ozs. specify "first class registered" at the counter, no need to pay the priority rate, it does not expedite delivery of registered mail. Be sure to also ask for "electronic return receipt." This serves as your proof of delivery for both PP and Ebay and the receiver's signature can be viewed online as a PDF by all parties. Registered has special packaging requirements (brown paper tape over all package seams) and requires postal form 3806 to be filled out by you. Since registered mail is slow (5-14 days, time could work in your favor on a questionable buyer. Problems with him might surface elsewhere with ebay.

PM me if you have further questions on registered, I use it regularly.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    He can always file a charge back through PayPal for any reason. You could request a money order

Safer route with a M.O. listen to your Gut feeling .....any doubt no ship

• Options

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Safer route with a M.O. listen to your Gut feeling .....any doubt no ship

If you offer to accept PP in your listing then buyer can demand you accept it. Canceling sale without buyer's agreement (via an ebay request) leaves seller open to a neg and subject to paying final valuation fees.

If you really want to cancel and have seller agree, best to give seller a reason why he doesn't want the coin. Maybe something you didn't notice before about the coin.

• Options

I do not use registered or express mail. I use regular mail and priority mail. IMO Registered says something expensive is in the package. Expensive coins in regular mail do not stand out.

Paypal covers you if you follow their guidelines. Not sure about "nothing in the package" thingy tho. I would ask a PayPal supervisor if me (being a loyal PayPal customer for 18 years) would be believed over a new account.

I have had a few credit card chargeback where PayPal put a negative balance in my account. I called with deliver conformation number and my account was credited for the chargeback. Paypal covered me in every case.

• Options
    edited October 29, 2017 12:04PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I do not use registered or express mail. I use regular mail and priority mail. IMO Registered says something expensive is in the package. Expensive coins in regular mail do not stand out.

If sending bullion coins, registered mail is the only USPS product that will pay out an insurance claim.

Registered is designed for "expensive." That's why everyone who handles the package has to sign for it. Years of shipping hundreds of registered shipments, never a problem.

Expensive coins in regular mail do stand out if they are insured. The postage cost on the shipment (or the required signature) flags the item as "expensive." At least with an obviously "expensive" registered package there are the added security measures. My USPS buddy tells me that loss of a registered shipment normally results in the loss of someone's job. I recall when sending confidential DoD documents across the country that one of the approved methods was Registered USPS.

• Options

@derryb said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

If sending bullion coins, registered mail is the only USPS product that will pay out an insurance claim.

Registered is designed for "expensive." That's why everyone who handles the package has to sign for it. Years of shipping hundreds of registered shipments, never a problem.

Expensive coins in regular mail do stand out if they are insured. The postage cost on the shipment (or the required signature) flags the item as "expensive." At least with an obviously "expensive" registered package there are the added security measures.

That's not true, I've had an insurance claim paid on 90% silver.

That said, registered mail is the MOST SECURE way to sell it and I wouldn't ship a coin over $1000 any other way. It is the most secure as everyone has to sign for it.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Paypal covers you if you follow their guidelines. Not sure about "nothing in the package" thingy tho. I would ask a PayPal supervisor if me (being a loyal PayPal customer for 18 years) would be believed over a new account.

I have had a few credit card chargeback where PayPal put a negative balance in my account. I called with deliver conformation number and my account was credited for the chargeback. Paypal covered me in every case.

Doesn't matter if registered says "expensive" to a thief. It stays under lock and key and is signed for on every exchange. MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more secure than any other method.

• Options

I am not talking about an post office insurance claim as that is unnecessary with a payapl claim. PayPal does not require insurance and IMO a Package with a large insurance amount is asking to be stolen.

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweeping the funds out of your bank account immediately upon receipt from PayPal is not the best idea...just as easy as PayPal puts funds into your account they can withdraw them...if you put a lock on your bank account to prevent withdrawals...then you will lose your PayPal account...

IMHO if you are uneasy about a sale don't do it...

• Options
    edited October 29, 2017 12:22PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I am not talking about an post office insurance claim as that is unnecessary with a payapl claim. PayPal does not require insurance and IMO a Package with a large insurance amount is asking to be stolen.

Common sense requires insurance on a high dollar item because EBay and PP view the seller as the owner until delivered. Insurance protects the person shipping, not the person receiving. If you're gonna insure a shipment best to choose a method that will honor the potential claim. USPS will honor a bullion claim only if it was sent registered. 90% silver is not bullion.

A priority shipment with $24 postage affixed is not asking to be stolen?

With high dollar items, registered is not only more secure, it is cheaper. I sent out a $2260 coin Friday, registered (insurance is included based on declared value) with electronic return receipt. Postage was $24.99. To send the same coin, insured with signature confirmation, priority small flat rate would cost $38.10. To send it first class would cost $33.17.

• Options

Common sense says NOT to buy insurance when PayPal covers you.

Common sense says not to waste your money.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

An alternative would be a super safe shipping method like registered and ask the buyer for the name of a local trusted entity like a fully authorized dealer, send it to him who will guarantee that it arrived safe and sound and turn it over to the buyer.

• Options
    edited October 29, 2017 12:36PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Paypal protects only the buyer if an item is lost in the mail and does not get delivered. And, in most all cases they take that money back from the seller. Now you have a seller whose coin was lost in the mail and whose funds from the sale have been returned to the buyer. As I said postal insurance protects the seller, it's his merchandise until PO says "delivered." A buyer should never let a seller talk him into buying insurance; like you said, he is protected by paypal.

Common sense says a seller should protect himself with shipping insurance of some kind.

• Options
    edited October 29, 2017 12:42PM

@bestday said:

@Gluggo said:

Paypal could refund money back to buyer ...putting a negative balance on your PP account .. then if You don't pay up..... PP sends your account to collectors

Well I do agree IF I fail to respond to the Investigation which is where your scene would end up. Of course I have over 15 years with Ebay and about 10 with PayPal and;

I have documented pictures of me packaging up the coin in every aspects of the packaging. Including documented evidence from a 3rd party delivery service. So I feel (in my opinion) that Ebay and Paypal would determine in favor of me the seller. I do double check my work cross the T's and dot the I's. But I do agree it is possible. Thank you ps my ebay postive feedback is over 800. If he was really trying to rip me off he will have a low score or a known scum bag thief. JMO Ofcourse! o:)
    Nothing worse than a thief!
    Just yesterday I had a know Ebay seller 10 days after receiving the product, contact me that shipping was $10.00 over their offer asking me to do what is right. Without hesitation I paid it while away on a work trip! With direct communication cause its my responsibility cradle to grave to try to be fair.

• Options

video/pictures of preparing the package are worthless in a claim. You could have swapped out the packages before handing them off to the shipper.

• Options
    edited October 29, 2017 12:48PM

LMAO about packages lost in the mail. Do the math. How much have you paid in insurance costs vs how many (value of) packages are lost in the mail.

There is a reason that every insurance guy I know has some really nice toys. Most insurance is NOT worth it IMO.

• Options

@derryb said:
    video/pictures of preparing the package are worthless in a claim. You could have swapped out the packages before handing them off to the shipper.

While I do agree I think when we get to that point of the argument its beyond sensibility. I once received a movie package that was empty. I lost since the shipper did claim to put it in there. That would leave the USPS stole it and we know you cant prove it nor WOULD THEY the USPS go that low.

• Options
    edited October 29, 2017 12:59PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    LMAO about packages lost in the mail. Do the math. How much have you paid in insurance costs vs how many (value of) packages are lost in the mail.

I don't pay extra for insurance, it's included in the fee for shipping registered mail, which as shown above is cheaper than buying insurance with a first class or priority shipment. I'm buying the security. Low value items, I self insure.

How many packages are lost in the mail? Lots. So you don't insure anything you ship? good luck wid dat.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no sure thing as many here has pointed out but I think as long as the buyer is real then you should be OK. You always have to take some kind of risk. A buyer wanted to buy couple coins from me; one coin for 40K and the other for 22K, another for 6K (make me an offer but lower than my ask price). If the buyer is in US then I might consider it or at least try to counter to make a deal but since the buyer is from international so I declined it. Too much risk.

• Options
    edited October 29, 2017 1:09PM

@derryb said:

"I don't pay extra for insurance, it's included in the fee for shipping registered mail,"

Really, you pay extra for registered mail, a lot extra!!!!!! Not to mention all the Extra Time to package it up and bring it to the PO.

Paypal does not require it at all.

If you did the math, I would bet that you have paid way more for registered mail than you have recovered form insurance claims. That is just a guess as I do not know your business.

I look at numbers and using registered mail make ZERO sense in most cases.

• Options
    edited October 29, 2017 1:07PM

@jt88 said:
    There is no sure thing as many here has pointed out but I think as long as the buyer is real then you should be OK. You always have to take some kind of risk. A buyer wanted to buy couple coins from me; one coin for 40K and the other for 22K, another for 6K (make me an offer but lower than my ask price). If the buyer is in US then I might consider it or at least try to counter to make a deal but since the buyer is from international so I declined it. Too much risk.

Wise move! I am impressed. One question and you don't have to respond but are you required to declare that since its over 10K. I mean I don't agree with that personally and I have never done any dollar mount that high. But I remember my brother doing a gold coin sale and he had to pay taxes. I thought it was double dipping but I am just one of the crowd enjoying day by day living!

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2017 1:14PM

@Gluggo said:

@jt88 said:

Wise move! I am impressed. One question and you don't have to respond but are you required to declare that since its over 10K. I mean I don't agree with that personally and I have never done any dollar mount that high. But I remember my brother doing a gold coin sale and he had to pay taxes. I thought it was double dipping but I am just one of the crowd enjoying day by day living!

Customs fee only charge the buyer not seller. Once I sold an item to England the buyer got charged with Customs fee and he got mad. He asked me to help out so I refunded him the shipping fee.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@derryb said:

"I don't pay extra for insurance, it's included in the fee for shipping registered mail,"

Really, you pay extra for registered mail, a lot extra!!!!!!

If you did the math, I would bet that you have paid way more for registered mail than you have recovered form insurance claims. That is just a guess as I do not know your business.

Not insuring your high dollar shipments is what makes no sense. While paypal does not require you to do so, paypal is not going to protect you from lost shipments. Crunch the numbers. I showed you above, when it comes to high dollar shipments, that registered is actually LESS than first class or priority insured.

What do your "numbers" tell you will be your out-of-pocket loss if USPS loses your uninsured $2000 shipment?

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

Worst deal was a $150 coin showed out for delivery by out-of-state Post Office but never scanned as delivered. Buyer claimed never receiving it since no proof of delivery. PayPal took my money but I insured it and Post Office paid the claim.

Even if you use a seperate account and PayPal deceides you owe them they will hound you until you pay them back.

I thought USPS did not insure coins.

• Options

@moonshine said:

@GRANDAM said:

They do,,,,,, it was a 1/10 oz Gold Panda PCGS MS69

• Options
    edited October 29, 2017 1:22PM

What are the odds of the USPS losing an ebay bubble package with a tracking number? Probably less than .01 percent but that is a guess on my part.

I have shipped over 5000 coins. I don't remember any (maybe just one years ago) that got lost in the mail.

Now with the ebay/ paypal printed label with tracking, the mail just does not get lost. Yes you do hear about the the extremely rare instances when it does happen. You do not hear about the katrillion packages delivered daily without issue.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

So many errors here. Paypal does NOT cover sellers if a package is lost/stolen/damaged, it protects the buyer. And yes, if you send MANY packages, you are better to "self insure". I do this on pretty much all packages under $400. But if I am sending a $5,000 package, that would be a huge hit for me, so I insure it.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@derryb said:

Really, you pay extra for registered mail, a lot extra!!!!!! Not to mention all the Extra Time to package it up and bring it to the PO.

Errors here too. If sending and insuring an expensive item (think $5,000 or something), registered with insurance is cheaper than anything else with insurance.

• Options

I guess it comes down to I play the odds and I am not paranoid.

• Options

@moonshine said:

They do:

From the Domestic Mail Manual, Chapter 609:

4.0 Claims

4.1 Payable Claim
    Insurance for loss or damage to insured, COD, or Registered Mail within the amount covered by the fee paid, or the indemnity limits for Priority Mail, or Priority Mail Express (under 4.2), is payable for the following:

Article’s actual value when mailed.
    Cost of repairing a damaged article or replacing a totally damaged article not exceeding actual value of the article at
    the time of mailing.
    Remittance due on a COD parcel not received by the sender, subject to the limitations set by the standards for COD
    service.
    Reasonable costs incurred duplicating documents such as:
    Copying service.
    Notary fees.
    Bonding fees for replacement of stock or bond certificates.
    Reasonable attorney’s fees if required to replace the lost or damaged documents.
    Other direct and necessary expense or cost, as determined by the USPS.
    Face value of negotiable documents that cannot be reconstructed up to the amount of insurance coverage bought,
    but not to exceed the $50,000 maximum amount of insurance coverage available if sent by Registered Mail.
    Extra cost of gift wrapping, if the gift-wrapped article was enclosed in another container when mailed.
    Cost of outer container, if designed and constructed for the article sent.
    For stamps and coins of philatelic or numismatic value; the fair market value is determined by a recognized stamp or
    coin dealer or current coin and stamp collectors’ newsletters and trade papers. The date of the fair market value
    determination must be current and prior to the mailing date.
    Federal, state, or city sales tax paid on articles lost or totally damaged.
    Postage (not fee) paid for sending damaged articles for repair. (The USPS must be used for this purpose. Other
    reasonable transportation charges may be included if the USPS is not available.)
    Cost of film stock or blank tape for photographic film, negatives, slides, transparencies, videotapes, laser disks, x-
    rays, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) prints, computerized axial tomography (CAT) scan prints, etc.
    Cost of bees, crickets, or baby poultry destroyed by physical damage to the package, otherwise, the USPS is not
    presumed to be at fault.
    For bulk insured articles, indemnity is provided for the lesser of (1) the actual value of the article at the time of
    mailing or (2) the wholesale cost of the contents to the sender.
    Except for Registered Mail, the maximum indemnity for negotiable items (defined as instruments that can be
    converted to cash without resort to forgery), currency, or bullion, is $15.00.

For firearms mailed by licensed firearm dealers (under 601.8.0 and Publication 52), 4, a Form 1508 must be
    submitted with the claim.
    For collectible items, a sales receipt, paid invoice or bill of sale, or statement of value from a reputable dealer(i.e., a
    licensed business owner who is qualified to estimate value or cost of repairs for the item) must be provided as
    described in 3.2a.

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭

I think the only way to totally cover yourself would be to film yourself packing the item in the box AT the USPS postal counter, and taping it up and showing yourself handing it to the postal employee and him putting the postage on it, and your paying for the fees. I agree that is super duper paranoid, and I know my postal guy might go postal on me. :D I'd never do that tho. Might could get away with it 'once' ... 'hey I am filming a video for youtube, blah blah'. LOL .... They already are not happy with me for reporting things a couple of time. Just because I live in the boonies, does not mean I will tolerate hillbilly mentality from the postal workers! Last time I was in there - I said I guess I am your nightmare customer, and the Postmaster was really nice tho. Ran out to my truck as I was leaving to ask me "are you happy". Thanked him and told him 'yes!'.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Bet you got life insurance and health insurance.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long ago I decided to self-insure instead of buying it from the PO or a 3rd party. I am certain I have saved thousands of dollars. Some day I may have to pay myself for a claim but I will likely still be far ahead.

If I'm returning a customer's coins I will ship and insure however he wants. It's his money. Many prefer registered mail. It's very, very safe (if slow).

I do remind customers that registered mail insurance is capped at $50k, regardless of whether a higher value is cited. And you are required to cite the true value and pay the extra cost for packages that exceed $50k.
    Lance.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    What are the odds of the USPS losing an ebay bubble package with a tracking number? Probably less than .01 percent but that is a guess on my part.

I have shipped over 5000 coins. I don't remember any (maybe just one years ago) that got lost in the mail.

Now with the ebay/ paypal printed label with tracking, the mail just does not get lost. Yes you do hear about the the extremely rare instances when it does happen. You do not hear about the katrillion packages delivered daily without issue.

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

My Post Office has delivered my bubble mailer packages to my neighbors 3 times in the last two months. I track everything closely and called the Post Office and they came out and found who they mis-delivered them to but you have to tell them it didn't arrive. They can tell within a few feet where the package was scanned as delivered.

They do mis-deliver packages,,,,,, way too often for my liking.

• Options

@derryb said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Bet you got life insurance and health insurance.

No way on life insurance

• Options

Grandam, your example shows a lazy employee, but I take it the you got your packages so they do not count as lost.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file