Home U.S. Coin Forum

What gives away your hobby without saying???

PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have this on display in my home office. What clues do you share with others that tells them you collect coins? What do you show off? Anything at all? Please share your subtle pleasure.

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2017 5:39PM

I walk around with my head down looking for loose change. Best find so far a folded $20 bill.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I walk around with my head down looking for loose change. Best find so far a folded $20 bill.

There is an old song with lyrics that go...."Lately I've been finding lots of money on the ground, maybe it's because I'm always looking down!"

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe my telltale sign is I examine my change maybe a little too closely!!!

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I ask for a box of nickels at the bank on a regular basis, and they ask me if i have a business and I say "no"

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a cool wooden framed display of 20th century U.S. coinage.

Where did you acquire?

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

My CRO braided ball cap.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Nice display @PocketArt!

Sure is.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm on a first name basis with the ladies at the post office. They say hi to me by name when I walk in.

• RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one of those 20th Century Type sets, did it back in the 70's. When I was asked by a friend to evaluate her late father in laws collection, I put one of these together as a remembrance for her. She was so pleased with it she gave me a set of Mercury Dimes (less the 16D and the two 21's) for my trouble. It really wasn't any trouble, it got my interest in collecting going again. This was in 2001.
    Pete

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loupe on neck chain and general run-down appearance. ;)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was working, it was well known throughout the company that I was a coin collector... though I did not have any overt indication in my office. It usually becomes known at companies I consult for just through conversation as I get to know the employees in the area of interest. Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably the Proof set that is mounted with my wedding picture and the picture of the first U.S. mint that is haning in my office.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

My library gives me away. The Lincoln plaques in my office might give folks a hint but only three people have seen my home office in twenty years. My home security is probably a bit over the top.

Larry

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    That's a cool wooden framed display of 20th century U.S. coinage.

Where did you acquire?

Picked up on Ebay. I've bought several type sets in the past; some are meticulously put together, others I've seen with nice toning. Of course, a lot of junk thrown together, and floating around on the bay too. If the price is right, and appear legitimate they can be fun to purchase.

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

I really like that periodic table of coins...!!!

• WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect and research the early United States Silver dollars 1794 to 1804. This "Dollar of 1804" lithograph hangs in my home office / study. The original was commissioned by James V. Dexter (of 1804 Dexter Dollar fame). This lithograph is framed like Dexter's original and was purchased from Mark Ferguson (who acquired the original) many years ago.

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't need computers handlin' my bank account
    Balance my checkbook there's a zero amount

Blue Collar Man
    Travis Tritt

In other words...I'm usually broke.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

What gives it away?

I look at the coins I receive in change when I pay cash.

• Rich49Rich49 Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

When I bend down and pick up pennies on the ground

photo index.gif

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone else have this one in their office?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file