Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone seen one of these before?

MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw one of these on Ebay a few months ago at an insane price ($500) but haven't even seen another one like it. Did these get thrown away? I know a lot of Columbians were dumped into circulation but based off the amount sold at issue price these should be more common than they are. Has anyone seen these before on the market?
Note: This is not a WTB ad, I am just curious how common they are.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have not seen the holder before. Very cool.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2017 7:24PM

I have seen the holder before.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have also seen one somewhere. I imagine they could be somewhat scarce, but they are out there.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not seen the holder before... Have seen many Columbian Halves... got several in change when I had my paper route as a kid. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if the case is the source of the "too common to be coincidence" green toning on many of the halves? (Just thinking out loud....)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2017 3:21AM

I see these on eBay fairly regular. They always go in the $300-$500 range.
    This is truly a case where you buy the holder, not the coin.

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019 4:12AM

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen one before.

Do coins in these holders tone a particular way?

• Options

Ed Kuszmar had three in his case at the Sarasota Show for a few hundred dollars.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, the holder is worth a lot more than the coin. I was not aware that Kuszmar's price was that low. It is marked for more.

Original commemative coin holders are interesting, but some of them are prohibitively rare or expensive. Sometimes the holder tones the coin in ways that are not attractive.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Yes, the holder is worth a lot more than the coin. I was not aware that Kuszmar's price was that low. It is marked for more.

Original commemative coin holders are interesting, but some of them are prohibitively rare or expensive. Sometimes the holder tones the coin in ways that are not attractive.

Bill,
    How many would you say you have seen?

• Options

Maybe five or six covered by some minor differences, but since I have not gone out of my way looking for them, my observations are not worth that much. My gut tells me that they are scarce, but not super rare.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had nobody mentioned the prices these are bringing I would have guessed this to be a $50 item.
    MOO

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw one, probably 20 years ago at a local show.

Still a neat item

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2017 3:51AM

I did see them at the Sarasota show as well.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Had nobody mentioned the prices these are bringing I would have guessed this to be a $50 item.
    MOO

If they were selling for $50 I would have bought one long ago. The prices I have seen have been more like $900 to $1,300 with a so-so coin included.

The original packaging for the "old" commemorative coins is a collector specialty. One of the most common pieces is the Lexington Commemorative Half Dollar wooden box. During my time as a collector, the prices for those have ranged from $25 to over $100. It’s probably more now since I have not looked for them in years. There is even a counterfeit Lexington box around to ensnare collectors.

Other original commemorative coin packages can sell for far more, but there are not a lot of dealers who stock them. It’s interesting to look at the pieces Anthony Swiatek brings to the major shows.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a website or a reference with all the different holders?

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked at one of these years ago. It just didn't look like it was a hundred plus years old. Maybe it was.

Larry

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Lexington boxes are likely more common because all (or at least many) were originally sold with this package.

The Columbian holder was probably just distributed through one seller, perhaps only at the fair itself, or might have been an additional optional purchase that many choose not to buy. That could be why it's scarcer. Just my speculation.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are not too hard to find, the cases were likely made by a private company
    Usually the coins are in rough shape and dark from the leather case or from mishandling during the years.
    These should retail around 300 with a low grade unc coin

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2017 10:20AM

Neat...but not $300+ neat.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said: "Neat...but not $300+ neat."

In your humble opinion , right?

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2017 10:47AM

@Insider2 said:
    @oih82w8 said: "Neat...but not $300+ neat."

In your humble opinion , right?

We all have our price ceilings...someone may pay more.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

i never seen one either but it would be nice to have one in the collection. fwiw

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file