Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2017 6:54PM

I was wondering if you bought that Bruce. Did you have Laura do the dirty work :wink::sunglasses:

The more you VAM..
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone paid 10 million Sacagewea dollar coins for Paul Newman's watch?!

• kazkaz Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sold for 17.8 million.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody has way too much money to burn.

All glory is fleeting.
  • 10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

Kind of cool how the consignor ended up with the watch.

https://bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-23/paul-newman-s-actual-daytona-rolex-has-collectors-gearing-up-to-battle

In the decade after Newman received it from his wife, the Rolex traveled the world with the star, appearing on his wrist in promotional materials, magazines, and documentary footage. Then, in 1984, the star passed it on to an unlikely recipient: James Cox, a college student who dated Newman’s daughter Nell.

That summer, the two men got to know each other as Cox spent several weeks renovating a family treehouse that hung over a creek on Newman’s Nook House property in Westport, Conn. The actor would often come by to check on “the kid” and invite him to grab a bite to eat. On occasion, Cox recalls, Newman introduced him as “family” to visitors such as Martin Scorsese.

“Hey, kid, you know what time it is?” Newman asked one day. Cox had no clue. He didn’t own a watch. “If you can remember to wind this each day, it tells pretty good time,” the actor said, taking the Rolex off his wrist.

“It was kind of astonishing that he gave it to me,” says Cox, 52, who’s selling the watch to raise money for Nell Newman’s nonprofit foundation.

Cox says he wore Newman’s watch proudly for years. But as prices for vintage timepieces began to escalate, he put the token away in a safe deposit box. Although the romance ended after 10 years, Cox remains close with his ex-­girlfriend and volunteers as the treasurer of the Nell Newman Foundation.

“The watch was a beautiful gift,” he says. “It’s now my turn to do something beautiful with it.”

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said: "Unique any day over ordinary and ho-hum that anyone with a big pile of money can buy. I see a Rolex watch as ho-hum and ordinary regardless of who owned it."

I gave you a disagree but I "pulled it." After all, that's your opinion and silly minority opinions leave me cold.
    BTW, as for Rolex watches, they also leave me cold.

@mr1874 said: "A Timex does the same thing that Rolex does for a whole lot less money."

As for this statement, it is mostly true excluding any "complications." My father was a watch repairman in the 1940's and 50's until he moved on to another profession; establishing a company that he finally sold. He collected most of the famous Swiss brands in gold and would not have a Rolex - too bulky! He wore a Timex watch daily. :)

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    Unique any day over ordinary and ho-hum that anyone with a big pile of money can buy.

I see a Rolex watch as ho-hum and ordinary regardless of who owned it.

Exactly.....boy what I could buy with 17M!!!!!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2017 8:11PM

I can understand this as a collector thing. Paul Newman was a motion picture icon. I have never understood the Rolex thing. I paid just over $125 for a Citizen Eco-Driv that has run perfectly for several years. A Rolex is way too thick for my thin wrist. I get the luxury car thing; I drive one and love it. I don't get the luxury watch thing when it does not fit your needs.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@mr1874 said:
    Unique any day over ordinary and ho-hum that anyone with a big pile of money can buy.

You can buy 17 Million presidential dollar coins! While the rest of us only have 39 too many coins . :D

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@mr1874 said:

You can buy 17 Million presidential dollar coins! While the rest of us only have 39 too many coins . :D

??????

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's nice that he received it partially due to dating Newman's daughter and is now selling to raise funds for her charity.

I bet the engraving on the back helped with the price. It's not just a generic watch, but one that was personalized.

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I can understand this as a collector thing. Paul Newman was a motion picture icon. I have never understood the Rolex thing. I paid just over $125 for a Citizen Eco-Driv that has run perfectly for several years. A Rolex is way too thick for my thin wrist. I get the luxury car thing; I drive one and love it. I don't get the luxury watch thing when it does not fit your needs.

A good watch lasts more than a life time. It travels with you where ever you go. And you can pass it down to next generation when the time come. :p

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

...it tells time right. ;-)

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take a A. Lange and Sohne any day of the week over a Rolex!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

@BillJones said:

A good watch lasts more than a life time. It travels with you where ever you go. And you can pass it down to next generation when the time come. :p

You can buy a lot of watches for over $3,000 or more. I inherited a gold pocket pocket watch from my father that is now over a century old. It's a Waltham, and as the story is told my father's cousin, a New York City attorney, for whom he and I were named, supplied the gold and had the watch custom made. It is beautiful, and I used to wear it when vests were in fashion, but I always worried about getting robbed, which happened to me when I was in graduate school. Heirlooms are nice, but using them every day is not practical.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I gave up my Submariner for a smart watch as a daily wearer a few years ago and I love it. You don't have to pull your phone out to check texts or notifications and you can answer a call and talk on it too although only in more quiet settings. I only wear the Rolex for formal occasions now. Once you go smart watch you don't go back.

The more you VAM..
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ridiculous.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2017 9:10PM

@DIMEMAN said: "I don't even wear a watch. I'm retired and don't really care what time it is."

Agree! Between fifth grade and ninth grade, I had two watches that had custom dial faces with my name (presents from Dad). Sometime in the ninth grade, I read (Playboy?) that really rich and important folks never needed to have a watch as time did not matter. Since then, I never wore a watch (except evening dress-up) as I wished to seem B) important and different...LOL. I realize today that time does matter and I have very little left. :'( That's why I still don't wear them. ;)

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone has way too much crazy money :D

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few collectable watches. Two Rolexes...my father's Tiffany from 50 years ago. I'm not crazy about any. But the investment hasn't been sour.

All keep great time. But I never wear them.
    Lance.

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

I was recently at a watch store that sold Hubolt watches. They had one that was an exact duplicate of a Ferrari V12 engine that told time. The price was 553,000$ only 20 produced. Impressive. That was a watch. If I could figure out how to post a picture I would.
    I quit wearing watching when I was introduced to the Smartphone.
    I remember Paul Newman used to be at Elkhart race track in the 60's and early 70's. He would just be sitting there in a lawn chair watching racing.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2017 12:22AM

The Hublot LaFerrari Sapphire watch is pretty cool. I wonder if having the car is a pre-requisite for having the watch.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kaz said:
    Sold for 17.8 million.

Dumb that turned stupid, but oh well. To each their own.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2017 6:29AM

So now it's going back into someones safety deposit box... As who in the heck wears a watch these days?

Totally useless as it's not like it's one of Flavor Flav's clocks you could hang on your wall or in your shower.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm, some people spend lots of money for a piece of metal, that they can't use , usually keep it in the safe deposit box or hidden away because they are worried about being robbed, but still collect and spend lots and lots of money on these things because it brings them happiness....wait am I talking about coins or watches..

• ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2017 7:05AM

No in this case it was not too much money but rather a very cool person who I can not say their name as they don’t want their name out there and a very deep desire to contribute as the money goes to Paul’s charity. This is a very cool person and I’ve added congrats to Aurel and Livia it’s good to have you back

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kinda like you, TDN.
    RWN. ( Rolex Watch Nut )

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is. And time is money.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always been able to guess the time and am usually within 10 minutes of the correct time. Sun dial head. Rolex branded itself as a sign of “making it” perhaps the trade for a coin is a good sign for us all. I do have a Movado and wear it once in a while. Has appreciated in value but doubt I would ever sell it. It makes me feel like I’m back in Pelham having Pauli start my car and asking him if he can go to a job sit and pick up a check. Oh the good old days.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

picked up a $10 timex at an estate sale 15 years ago....still ticking

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own a Rolex. 99.99% of the time, it sits in the safety deposit box. I did not buy it, it has been inherited 3 times now, the previous owner being my dad. About the only time it comes out of the box is if my wife has some sort of fancy black tie event, and I have to "Dress Up" which is, in itself, an oxymoron, as when I wear a tux, you can BARELY see if I even have a shirt on, much less a tie, as my beard covers it all.

The only time I wear a watch is when I am outside the US, and do not want to carry the IPHONE, and the $10 cruise ship special watch works fine.

The watch will go to my son, and he can do whatever he wants with it.

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad the money went to charity...

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2017 8:41AM

Is $10mil really a nuclear bid if the final sale price is 75% higher than that?

Sounds like more of a token $10mil bid! :)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2017 9:12AM

I'd rather have this watch:

just to wear to coin shows. About $13,000 Buy It Now on eBay.

OINK

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

people sure have money to burn thats for sure.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2017 9:56AM

I could probably buy at least four 1894-S dimes with $17.8 M. What's that 40% of the population? Rolex's are a dime a dozen,so to speak, by comparison to 1894-S dimes.

One man's passion is another man's folly?

My watch story is the time I went to a show wearing a flashy watch that a smart ass (can i say that here? looks like I just did lol) dealer asked me how much would i take for it. I paused for a few seconds while looking at his coin offerings in his cases and then told him that it didn't appear to me that he had enough money to buy it from me. har har

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:

@TurboSnail said:

@BillJones said:

Just make sure you wash it off first.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... special collector treasure's always command high prices.... My gold Omega Seamaster will probably not command such a high price when my estate is liquidated.....however, it has served me very well over the years and keeps perfect time... ;) Cheers, RickO

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

The flashy watch I wore to the show that the dealer couldn't buy from me is an Elgin. I would sell it for $10 to a person with a good attitude. :)

Ask $12,take $10.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

From burning man to burning cash.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file