Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

From the Eric P. Newman sale, surprised no one has posted this.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed this while I was browsing the Heritage catalogue and thought it ranked up there on the COOL scale about as high as possible.

Al H.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/miscellaneous/other-collectibles/-c-1920-leather-coin-holder-for-the-original-1913-liberty-nickels/a/1260-15073.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

(c. 1920) Leather Coin Holder for the Original 1913 Liberty Nickels. For the better part of three decades after their mysterious striking, the five famous, original 1913 Liberty Head nickels traded hands as a set through a chain of ownership that is nearly as intriguing as the nickels themselves. During most of that time, they were housed in this fine leather eight-coin holder, purchased intact from the "Col." E.H.R. Green estate - the legendary nickels in place - by the partnership of Eric P. Newman and B.G. Johnson.

Five of the openings were occupied by the original 1913 Liberty nickels, leaving places for three additional nickels. One was a pattern Type One style Buffalo nickel proof described by Eric P. Newman as from the "regular type," but with broader rims and shorter feathers on the headdress, probably unique. Another Buffalo nickel was an Uncirculated Type Two of regular mintage. The third Buffalo nickel was also a Type Two piece, described as "in copper, Unc., probably unique."

This historic and splendid leather case offered now (without any of the nickels) is inextricably linked to the most celebrated coins of all numismatic lore, carefully preserved and virtually as it was when acquired in 1942. It is made from soft leather over hard paperboard stiffeners, with flaps lined with fine quality satiny fabric, all in black. The case shows only minimal wear on the snap closure and no signs of damage other than a bit of faint edge wear. This authentic case is housed in an NGC archival plastic sleeve.
Ex: Possibly Samuel Brown, before 1919; more likely August Wagner or Stephen K. Nagy, circa 1924; Wayte Raymond, circa 1924; "Colonel" E.H.R. Green; Green Estate; Partnership of Eric P. Newman/B.G. Johnson d.b.a. St. Louis Stamp and Coin Co.; Eric P. Newman; Eric P. Newman Numismatic Education Society.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without the coins the sizzle is gone. Regardless, at least two bidders will probably think it is amazing ... but will they be two bidders with money?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

I honestly prefer the case to the coins that it once held, but I'm sure that puts me in the minority.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options

along with those Pan-Pac cases and some others this is probably the granddaddy of all original coin holder.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Without the coins the sizzle is gone. Regardless, at least two bidders will probably think it is amazing ... but will they be two bidders with money?

It's already over what I would have paid. Last I looked it was at like $2k

• Options

north of 4k w/juice.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an historic and iconic numismatic piece.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did see it and was going to post it but forgot.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody should buy it and donate it to the ANA so it can be displayed next to the Bebee 1913 Nickel.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool-but that's a lot for a leather case and no coins. Jmho.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Somebody should buy it and donate it to the ANA so it can be displayed next to the Bebee 1913 Nickel.

Thank you for your generous offer!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2017 8:47AM

Ex: Possibly Samuel Brown, before 1919; more likely August Wagner or Stephen K. Nagy, circa 1924; Wayte Raymond, circa 1924; "Colonel" E.H.R. Green; Green Estate; Partnership of Eric P. Newman/B.G. Johnson d.b.a. St. Louis Stamp and Coin Co.; Eric P. Newman; Eric P. Newman Numismatic Education Society.

Is the first known owner of this holder Wayte Raymond?

I wonder if this case was used to carry the nickels out of the mint.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing I've learned about these auctions is that things can look cheap, a few people might be bidding or following it until the actual bidding starts. Then the price might go through the roof.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jom said:
    I'm curious as to what happened to the Type Two copper piece that was "probably unique".

jom

I wonder if they were genuine or if they were something else Sam Brown, the crooked mint employee who introduced the numismatic community to the 1913 Liberty Nickels, cooked up.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be cool to create an image of this holder with all the coins in them :)

• Options

having seen the Nickels together in Baltimore and know the negative affect that leather pouches are known to have on coins it amazes me that the 1913 Libs survived as nicely as they did.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting item..... not something I would want, but certainly great for exonumia collectors.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jom said:
    I'm curious as to what happened to the Type Two copper piece that was "probably unique".

jom

You mean this one? Turned out it was copper-plated.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the Alfred E. Neuman Collection:

• Options

excellent!!! :)

• Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

The "other coin" in that 7 coin case was a (genuine) Buffalo nickel pattern.

I was fortunate enough to buy & sell it a few years ago. Beautiful coin; it was a treat.

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DaveWcoins said:
    The "other coin" in that 7 coin case was a (genuine) Buffalo nickel pattern.

I was fortunate enough to buy & sell it a few years ago. Beautiful coin; it was a treat.

Got a picture to share with us? Would love to see it!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

To me, the case represents the ambiance of that collecting era, and it provided me with a little taste of the past..very cool.

Eccentrically dedicated

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@jom said:

jom

You mean this one? Turned out it was copper-plated.

So Sam Brown copper plated a WORN coin and put it with the "famous" 5 plus the pattern. That's kind of odd....especially since the guy made the 5 V nickels. Weird....

Has that copper plated piece been in any recent auctions? I'm curious...

jom

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the US mint is good at selling fancy packaging too...

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Keets - Thanks for posting this little holder. I too had missed it.

Although the final bid surprised me, it's certainly very interesting with great exonumia value.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was the final price?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:

$10,800

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shamika said:

@Treashunt said:

$10,800

woah!

I was the under bidder at $50.

:)

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2017 8:15AM

@jom said: "So Sam Brown copper plated a WORN coin and put it with the "famous" 5 plus the pattern. That's kind of odd....especially since the guy made the 5 V nickels. Weird...."

I agree. Very weird...First, I cannot believe an auction house did not have that coin checked at a TPGS, so if they said it was plated...

I only have the image to go on but I'll say this. The "texture" of that coin is not normal. Plated or not, it looks sandblasted and granular. IMO, **this piece is something special"" and wherever it is now it should be examined by a group of numismatists. Hopefully the owner will get it to a FUN Show and show it around. I should like to get it under my stereomicroscope to check for die markers and evidence of how it was produced.

• Options

@DaveWcoins said:

@DCW said:

@DaveWcoins said:
    The "other coin" in that 8 coin case was a (genuine) Buffalo nickel pattern.

It was a Judd-1950. One of the 3 Buffalo 5c design coin in that case along with the 5 1913 Liberty nickels.

Wow! Even for a pattern, that coin is a BEAST!!!!

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised @jwitten didn't buy it to stuff some $5 Indian & Libs in!

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

Here's the only fancy holder I can afford:

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@CascadeChris said:

Here's the only fancy holder I can afford:

Those are not your initials! You need a Go Fund Me page to pay Tiffany to make you one.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DaveWcoins said:

@DCW said:

@DaveWcoins said:

It was a Judd-1950. One of the 3 Buffalo 5c design coin in that case along with the 5 1913 Liberty nickels.

Talk about a "chiseled" look of the features. What a knockout piece.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark Feld bought the holder.

Larry

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2017 7:12AM

@DaveWcoins said:

@DCW said:

@DaveWcoins said:

LOVE the sculpted fields, especially the reverse!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldhair said:
    Mark Feld bought the holder.

Good for him! I'd love to see it some day...

jom

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DaveWcoins said:

@DCW said:

@DaveWcoins said:

This is one awesome looking nickel. It looks like a sculpture that just jumps out at you.

Thanks for sharing the photo.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DaveWcoins said:

@DCW said:

@DaveWcoins said:

PCGS has graded two of these, one in PR63 and the other in PR66. The PR66 is in the Simpson collection. Looking at the image above and the CoinFacts images of the PCGS coins, this coin is the PR63 example.

I asked Eric about the coins in this holder and he states that B.G. Johnson sold this coin in the 40's for both of them.

Now to go find the invoice in the Newman portal for that sale. Anyone know who he sold it to? It is listed as the Farouk/ Forsythe example.

https://pcgs.com/cert/25010487

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file