Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Toned Seated Dollar

https://ebay.com/itm/1873-SUPER-GEM-BU-Seated-Liberty-Dollar-Beautiful-Rainbow-Tone-KEY-DATE/112611390998?hash=item1a38297616:g:HFIAAOSw88NZ6q57

Not sure which is a more obvious lie: the coin being naturally toned OR he got all these coins in an inheritance?

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talk about buying a pig in poke!

You can take this to the bank: Bad photography = Bad coin

You can often take this to the bank. Inherited or “from and old estate” = You will get the shaft.

As some here frequently say, “Run, Forest, run!!!

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

You can often take this to the bank. Inherited or “from and old estate” = You will get the shaft.

Bad photography hardly equals bad coin. I have bought toners from horrible pics as a gamble and more times than not it has paid off.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 3:28PM

The auction images (below) look like a Chemistry Experiment gone wrong was conducted on the surface of this coin... :s

Strange Spotty Texture that seems to correlate with Liquid Flow Lines (esp on Obverse).

IMO - Looks AT Well-Done Overbaked in the Oven -- Perhaps the Fingerprint to the left of the date on the obverse will help ID the artist!

Below are Images that have been brightness adjusted to reduce some of the overexposure to depict the coin with more clarity, for better observation & further discussion.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 4:50PM

There are deals to be found on eBay, but I'm not sure this one is.

That bubbly look has me concerned.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another ruined 1873 seated dollar, that otherwise perhaps I could have used for my type set.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

I wept.
    It was an inheritance from his Grandfather, and he has to sell it. :'(

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

He probably needs to raise the money to be able to afford buying Health Insurance!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

A baked POS.
    Doug

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

It really looks like a cheese pizza from a low price chain .

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Folks are bidding on it. Crazy.

Larry

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

@BillJones said:

Bad photography hardly equals bad coin. I have bought toners from horrible pics as a gamble and more times than not it has paid off.

Good luck to you. More often than not I've seen bad pictures used to sell counterfeits. It's a great way to hide problems.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pure AT rubbish.... Some starry eyed color collector will buy it..... eventually realize they have been conned....Sad story, so often repeated. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file