Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterfeit nickel 3 cents rare date on eBay - BEWARE

coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

ugh, 10 dumb bidders?

Or folks who want it for free?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the seller is more into jewelry. He may not know the coin is a fake.

Larry

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like something the Chinese might have cooked up this thing. It looks like they have had the same strike issues that the Philadelphia Mint had when they started striking these coins, which were made of "the devil's copper."

The mint employees called nickel "the devil's copper" because it was so hard to strike it. The metal ate up dies at an alarming rate.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The listing is gone now.... did not get to 'see' the coin....Looks like it was pulled, so no one got hurt anyway. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obverse lettering looked like it was done with one of those kindergarten 'fat' pencils.....

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thing looked really mushy. A bad counterfeit.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 12:49PM

@ricko said:
    The listing is gone now.... did not get to 'see' the coin....Looks like it was pulled, so no one got hurt anyway. Cheers, RickO

I won't want you to miss out, although the "opportunity" to own an example of this key date coin has been denied to you and 10 bidders who were out to snag it. ;)

This is the newest edition to my ever growing virtual "black cabinet." I do have some counterfeits, but almost all of them were given to me to take to presentations at clubs.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones..... Thanks Bill.... and a good candidate it is for your 'black' cabinet......I have a couple of counterfeits that I knowingly purchased when the chance arose.... antique shop finds, cheap. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file