Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is there any WAMPUM in collections?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think I've ever seen actual wampum in coin offerings.

?????

It was "money" in the US for a long time.

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've only seen it in museums. I would not touch the stuff at a coin show. Perhaps a TPGS will authenticate the stuff one day.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am no expert but I am not sure there is any way to tell that it is old/genuine. I think that (at least some of) it is just polished shells. If a piece has a verifiable provenance or came from a documented excavation then maybe it could be authenticated.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was actually lots of wampum in auctions about 100 years ago. Many of the old-time collections had some, I don't know when that dropped off. I also don't know if there are any ownership restrictions like are moving in on many antiquities.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am pretty sure JK had some in his case at an ANA a few years back.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a member here, local to me, had some he showed me a few years ago at a local show. Think he bought from JK.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool thread.

edited October 24, 2017 5:37PM

@hchcoin said: "Very cool thread."

Ugh. :)

I was given a book - "An Ethnographic Study of Traditional Money" by Charles Opitz and a pamphlet - "Traditional Money on Yap and Palau" by the same author. Folks interested in this sort of thing may try the ANA Library. "Odd and Curious Money" is another title you can look for.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2017 5:59PM

Wampum is very big here still. Many Wampum artists collect the raw shells and create beautiful jewelry. Wampum is found along the inside of Quahog shells (clam shells) and finished bracelets and necklaces can be very expensive. I've yet to see an old Wampum piece used for actual coinage/trade. The native Indians here are Wampanoags but I don't think they were named after Wampum. I actually sell a Wampum postcard! !

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought this from JK - excellent provenance.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

IIRC, it came from Dr. Clain-Stefanelli.

Brief note from his obit.

Dr. Clain-Stefanelli, who joined the staff of the Smithsonian Institution in 1956, is credited with having made the collections for which he was responsible among the most important in the world. His wife, Elvira, an authority on numismatics in her own right, was his colleague in this work.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen wampum in museums and some local displays (the library had some for years - not sure where it is now). This area had many Indian settlements and when I was a kid, arrow points were plentiful. My brother and his friend actually found an old Indian burial years ago. Cheers, RickO

@Lakesammman said: "A Brief note from his obit:

Dr. Clain-Stefanelli, who joined the staff of the Smithsonian Institution in 1956, is credited with having made the collections for which he was responsible among the most important in the world. His wife, Elvira, an authority on numismatics in her own right, was his colleague in this work."

Full disclosure. I once worked at the museum. I have met both of the above and their son. I once asked Dr. Stefanelli for a job in his division as we walked together in the museum. He did not like me or my direct approach. Nevertheless, I was allowed to view the off-display collection on many occasions. They both helped expand the collection.

That said I'll agree that: "[He and his wife] having made the collections for which he [and she] was responsible among the most important [displays of improperly cleaned coins] in the world. May they both R.I.P. o:)

• goldengolden Posts: 9,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a string back in 2005 that had a pretty good provenance.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Onastone, I can find a LOT of wampum "kits" online.
    I was asking about GENUINE wampum.

Heap REAL Wampum! ;)

But not slabbed "Genuine." :D

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old time dealers, such as Burdette G. Johnson in St Louis, routinely carried Native American relics and and similar materials in their inventories. Northwest state and territory materials were especially popular because of their distinctive designs and craftsmanship.

• cccoinscccoins Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

I used to have this as part of the family collection.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file