Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

14-s buff newp

ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was a sucker for strike on this one. I know the issue can come very nicely struck, but usually not (rarely?) at the 63 level. I’m guessing it got digned for perhaps being on the darker side, although seller says it’s lighter/more gold color in hand.

Wondering if there is enough ‘there’ there to send to our hosts for a second opinion????

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely send that Buff to PCGS.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That one is, as they say, "all there." It's a real beauty and worth a look by our host IMO.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I'm seeing it correctly, it Looks like the "Embedded S" variety. I have one too. The "S" just barely touches the "C" in CENTS. That die pair is responsible for a lot of nice strikes, as mine looks similar to yours (but is an XF-45).

Yours looks to be a minimum 64.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks better than 63.

Larry

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I'll play devils advocate and say that based on the photos, it also has a chance at coming back in a 62 holder. Strike is nice but the luster appears DOA. Might just be because the seller shot the pics in a dark basement.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to agree with the above statement. Luster means sooooo much when it come down to brass tax. Luster always has and always will rule the roost with the technical assigned grade. The strike I will agree is quite bold. I like it :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like that Buff.... as noted though, cannot see an luster..... Great detail though.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone may lighten it a little. The coin has good lustre; it lacks brightness. Maybe a rinse in 10/1 water/Jewel-Luster.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great strike. I feel it looks better inhand. Congrats.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume the vertical lines are on the holder. Well struck coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file